Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Genuine Mediums and the like
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25904
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypermetropia wrote:
"Well, I have a man standing here beside me, coming through now, it's your father, dear"

"That's funny, I thought he was living in Tilney St Lawrence". Down went the phone and I had the only really good laugh I was to have for many a month after that.

I hope you remembered to cancel the credit card transaction!
HypermetropiaOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 116
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Hypermetropia wrote:
"Well, I have a man standing here beside me, coming through now, it's your father, dear"

"That's funny, I thought he was living in Tilney St Lawrence". Down went the phone and I had the only really good laugh I was to have for many a month after that.

hope you remembered to cancel the credit card transaction!

Laugh rynner! No I did not. I begrudged that con-artist every penny until I realised that she had done me a great service. If she had guessed mother instead of father, (being so desperate for consolation), I would have swallowed the bait. All thoughts of attending seances, spiritualist churches etc. then went out the window. I figure if she had something to tell me, she'd have found a way to do it, by now.
HypermetropiaOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 116
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

My adult stepson attended a seance where the professional medium singled him out for attention. She claimed to be in touch with his dead mother and told him that 'if he ever felt a sensation like a cobweb going across his face, she was touching him'. She also guessed he had once put 'yellow flowers' on her grave. Enough evidence for him.

I made the big mistake of reasoning that HAD it been his mother, she would have sent a message of comfort for his sister too, surely? We so want to believe, reason goes out the window.
CultjunkyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1426
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my card reading, there was no mention of 'messages from the beyond', no dead loved ones, no recently departed It was without any religious bias.

The woman just turned over cards. A pack of playing cards.

FWIW, I'm one of those unfortunates that have parents who had children in later life, so by the time I was 18, I knew more dead people than years. So there were several dead people that could have contacted me, were they able to.

I think I put a fair amount of credence into my reader because there was't any reference to Heaven, in the Christian sense, or any afterlife. It made her all the more believable.

It makes me wonder about pre destination, in that no matter what you do, the outcome will be the same.

Were she a genuine, Kosher, above board, medium, she would be a prophet.

Which opens a whole new can of worms!

edited because I just posted in the 'typo' thread

Embarassed

Last edited by Cultjunky on 09-09-2011 23:29; edited 1 time in total
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25904
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypermetropia wrote:
All thoughts of attending seances, spiritualist churches etc. then went out the window.

My advice to any bereaved person is to avoid mediums of any description, but most especially those that require payment, who for the most part do seem to be con artists.

But otherwise it's interesting to visit a spiritualist church, or a medium who doesn't take payment, in a spirit of scientific enquiry, or even for entertainment. Anything that makes you think, like a drama in a theatre, or on the silver screen or the 'idiot box', has to expand your mind.
GhostisfortOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 770
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to be back to "Fraudulent mediums/psychics".
Was there any point in moving the original thread?
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1829
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 09:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

During a period of my life when I was searching for some sort of meaning I messed with the tarot. (I deliberatly put it that way - I didn't put much effort in, I was I suppose 'dallying'. )

I reached the point where I gave a few - inept because I had to keep referring to notes - readings to people. I soon stopped, however, because I found that some people would make decisions based on the readings, or come out with statements that led me to believe they were taking what I said as 'true'.

So maybe the need to believe is great enough that an intention to 'con' is not necessary, and there may be a combination of some mild 'mind reading' and this need to believe creating a 'folie a deux'?

I do believe that empathic people can pick up on others moods and even intentions very readily. Even non-empathic people do this in long term relationships. Some of the time, anyway Smile
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 7133
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience to yours Cochise, though I got adept enough to do away with the notes.

While it was OK as a bit of fun, I really wouldn't have been happy if anybody had made decisions on what I said. (A couple or people did tell be how right I'd been about things, which to be frank was a bit spooky).

I think I was reading the people rather than the cards.
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 494
PostPosted: 13-09-2011 04:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was thinking that people sometimes want to believe what they are told. I used to play around with cartouche cards but hadn't done it for ages. My friend's daughter who is going through a divorce pestered me until I did them for her. I did say that it was just how the cards fell but she thought I was accurate. It had come up in the section for children that there was a problem with breathing and her son did have to go to hospital after that with a bad asthma attack.
After that she kept texting and emailing me wanting me to do one on her soon to be ex and it came up he would have problems if he went on a trip over water and he got food poisoning in Fiji so she really started to get a bit annoying. I bought her her own pack of Tarot cards and a book and as she went to a medium who told her she was very psychic she's doing some course to develop her skills.
los_grandes_lutzOffline
You have no new messages
Total posts: 338
PostPosted: 13-09-2011 04:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

nogoodnik wrote:
I have a story of an accurate message from a medium, but it wasn't a case of going to see her for a reading....

Still, she was probably the only "psychic" my grandfather knew he'd met, so if he'd wanted to pass a message on, it would make sense that it would be through her.

While I'm still very suspicious of mediums, if there was a story that supports their abilities, this is it.

However, if such things do happen, why don't they happen more often? Wouldn't most people who die suddenly want their loved ones to know that they are ok? Wouldn't they all try and get a message across?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18789
PostPosted: 13-09-2011 07:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

An awful lot of people whom I've met believe that the dead can and indeed do send us 'signs' that they are still around, but they don't generally talk about it. It's personal.

Visit your grannies and aged aunties and uncles. Take them some nice chocolates and get the photo albums out. Chat about the old days. Sooner or later you'll hear a ghost story. Wink
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 13-09-2011 07:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the day my old Gran saw my late Granpa standing in the street, smiling and waving to her. Smile
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18789
PostPosted: 13-09-2011 07:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly like that. Very Happy

Wouldn't make the front page, James Randi'd kick it into touch, but for Gran, it was real enough. Cool
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 6300
PostPosted: 13-09-2011 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

They hear d voices...
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-happy-medium-as-psychic-sally-sidekick-prompts-outrage-2874250.html
GhostisfortOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 770
PostPosted: 13-09-2011 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do a free reading for anyone interested.
On the thread or by PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: