Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
people who just... disappear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25681
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow-up story:

Scores of people have gone missing from cruise ships, it's time to find out why, say parents of girl who vanished from Disney liner
By Caroline Graham
Last updated at 9:18 AM on 11th September 2011

The parents of a British cruise ship worker who disappeared from a Disney liner earlier this year are to meet Government Ministers tomorrow to call for tougher laws to protect UK citizens from crimes at sea.
Mike and Ann Coriam, whose 24-year-old daughter Rebecca vanished from the £580 million Disney Wonder in March, will meet Shipping Minister Mike Penning to demand that the multi-billion-pound cruise industry ‘properly regulates’ safety at sea.

Mr Coriam, from Chester, said: ‘Our daughter vanished off a ship six months ago and we are no closer to finding out what happened to her.
‘People go on ships and are lulled into a false sense of security because they are happy places full of holidaymakers.
‘In fact, scores of people have gone missing from cruise ships and it seems the cruise companies themselves don’t want to investigate properly for fear of bad publicity.
‘Crimes are swept under the carpet and incidents are not investigated properly.’

Miss Coriam was employed as a youth worker on the Disney Wonder during a week-long cruise from Los Angeles to Mexico when she disappeared.
She was last seen early on March 22 by a colleague who said she appeared to be upset.
The alarm was raised when she failed to report for work the following day.
Mr Coriam said he was ‘not prepared to speculate’ on rumours on the internet that his daughter had committed suicide by jumping off the ship after a row with a friend.
He said: ‘I have my own theory about what happened but I am not sure we will ever know for sure. My mission now is to bring in laws to protect others. I would like to see British police authorised to carry out a thorough investigation on board a ship if a British citizen vanishes.’

[OTHERS WHO DISAPPEARED - Separate panels on three other disappearances.]

Campaigners complain that there is no international police organisation for crimes at sea, leaving investigations to the police force of the country where the ship is registered, often places such as Panama, Bermuda or, in the case of the Disney Wonder, the Bahamas.
Mr Coriam said: ‘When I have called the Bahamas asking how the investigation is going I just get told it is “ongoing”.
‘Just one police officer from the Bahamas is investigating my daughter’s case. This is despite the fact there were 2,400 passengers on board and 945 staff. It is impossible for one man to do a thorough investigation. It has been a farce since the start.’

According to campaign group the International Cruise Victims Association (ICV) – set up by US businessman Kendall Carver after his daughter disappeared on a cruise – 165 people have gone missing at sea since 1995, with 12 this year alone.
The ICV has already had success in the US. Last year, President Barack Obama signed the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act which requires ships to report disappearances and crimes against US citizens to the FBI and Coast Guard.
Mr Carver said: ‘It was a campaign that took years and the cruise industry spent millions of dollars lobbying against us.
‘Now the FBI and Coast Guard are legally authorised to investigate crimes, regardless of where the ship is registered.’

Superintendent Paul Rolle, who is in charge of the Coriam investigation for the Royal Bahamas Police Force, said: ‘I have been in touch with the family and have no further comment.’
Disney Cruise Lines said: ‘Our hearts go out to the Coriams. We’ve shared everything we can but many details are still under investigation by the police and it is their role to provide the details of their findings to the family.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036056/Scores-people-gone-missing-cruise-ships-Its-time-say-parents-girl-vanished-Disney-liner.html#ixzz1XdYvEu4Z
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 961
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
165 people have gone missing at sea since 1995, with 12 this year alone.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036056/Scores-people-gone-missing-cruise-ships-Its-time-say-parents-girl-vanished-Disney-liner.html#ixzz1XdYvEu4Z

How many millions have gone on a cruise since 1995? And how do those percentages compare with plain ol' disappearances on land. What emina said is correct, people can be suicidal without giving outward signs, and jumping overboard from a ship would be one way to do it, just like jumping from a bridge or whatnot.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 08:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one does sound like suicide. (It grabs my attention because the only cruise I've ever been on was on this very ship.)

Passengers held on cruise ship after elderly man goes missing during voyage
Thirteenth person to go missing on a cruise this year
By Tom Kelly
Last updated at 10:38 PM on 13th September 2011

More than 1,000 passengers were held on a cruise liner yesterday after an elderly holidaymaker mysteriously disappeared during a voyage.
Police boarded the Fred Olsen ship Balmoral after it docked in Southampton following a eight-day tour of the Norwegian fjords.
Crew members told passengers that a guest had gone missing on Sunday night and officers had to carry out enquiries before they could leave.

The passengers were shown pictures of the man, believed to be in his late 70s or 80s and British, and were asked to speak to the police if they had any idea what had happened to him.
The man, who is believed to have been travelling alone, is thought to have last been seen at 9pm on Sunday when the 700ft, 44,000-tonne ship was in Stavanger, Norway.

He was reported missing the following morning when the ship, which has 710 cabins, with enough room for 1,350 passengers and 500 crew, was sailing in the North Sea to the east of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.
Fred Olsen Cruise Lines said it carried out a thorough search of the ship but could not find the man.
It said the ship’s crew were first alerted to the potential of a missing passenger by a note which was discovered by a cabin stewardess.

One of the passengers said: ‘We were only told what had happened when we arrived in Southampton. It was a very upsetting thing to hear. We had had a fantastic holiday and were just about to disembark and return home when we suddenly were told someone had disappeared.
‘Everyone was shocked. No one knew that it had happened, even though we had been on the ship for more than 36 hours with him missing. It is the sort of thing you read about or see on TV.
‘We were all very worried about the fate of this poor gentleman.
‘I spoke to one woman who had sat near him at dinner. She thought he was a pleasant elderly British man travelling alone.’
The passengers were eventually allowed to leave the ship after three hours and make their way home.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2037068/Fred-Olsen-cruise-passengers-held-man-goes-missing.html#ixzz1XukoP9a7

I can understand how an old man, perhaps alone in the world, and increasingly suffering the ills of old age, might choose to end his life this way. But it would be a mistake to put all marine disappearances down to suicide.

Most people on a cruise dine with the same group each evening, so there should be at least a few people who knew the missing man.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 09:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled for more info on the Balmoral story, but most of the media have just picked up the Mail story.

But I did find this, from last year:
Quote:
Passenger Missing from Balmoral Cruise Ship
Posted on October 11, 2010 by Jim Walker

BBC News reports that a passenger is missing from the Fred Olsen 1,350 passenger cruise ship Balmoral, which is due to return to Dover tomorrow after a 21-day Adriatic cruise.

The cruise ship was in the English Channel when the unidentified passenger was noticed to be missing. A Royal Navy frigate, the HMS Westminster, is taking part in the search for the passenger, along with a U.K. Coast Guard helicopter, a French Coast Guard aircraft and a French warship.

The Daily Mail in the U.K reports that a "man overboard" alert was issued after the 80-year-old's wife reported him missing to staff on the cruise ship in the early hours of October 11th. His wife is beleived to have woken in their cabin on the ship to find he was no longer in bed.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/10/articles/disappearances-1/passenger-missing-from-balmoral-cruise-ship/

So two elderly men have disappeared from the same ship within a year. The rails around the decks are about chest high, so it would require reasonable fitness to climb over them.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

With spooky timing, a new brochure for Fred Olsen cruises has just dropped through my lettebox! Shocked
colinbaker32Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 226
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Olsen is the man the simpsons creator based the looks for mr burns on.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinbaker32 wrote:
Fred Olsen is the man the simpsons creator based the looks for mr burns on.

I do not wish to know that. Now kindly leave the stage!

Here's a story about someone who almost disappeared from a ship:
Quote:
6 September 2011
Woman falls overboard from ferry at Flamborough Head

A woman has been rescued after falling overboard from a Newcastle passenger ferry bound for the Netherlands.
She fell overboard from the Princess Seaways DFDS ferry at about 20:35 BST on Monday.
The ferry then reversed course and rescued her off the coast of Flamborough Head, at about 21:00 BST.

The woman, 23, from Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire, was taken to Scarborough Hospital, where she was kept in overnight and then released.

Mike Green, watch manager at Humber Coastguard said the water temperature would have been between 11C and 12C. He said he did not know how she fell off the vessel.
Mr Green added: "We received a call about 20:45 last night from the Princess Seaways DFDS ferry out of Newcastle. They said they'd had a person overboard and they were reversing their course.

"We alerted the RAF Sea King helicopter and put the Scarborough and Filey lifeboats on stand-by in case we had an extended search.
"The crew of the DFDS ferry were very efficient with their man-overboard procedures, they managed to get a visual contact with the lady, launched their rescue craft and managed to get her on board the ferry."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-14800108

She was very lucky. More:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-14827270

And coincidentally that route from the Tyne to Amsterdam was one leg of the cruise I did on Balmoral...
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21025
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
With spooky timing, a new brochure for Fred Olsen cruises has just dropped through my lettebox! Shocked

Rynner, The Fortean Fleet crew have chipped in to buy you a Fred Olsen cruise...
Black River FallsOffline
I wear a fez now.
Total posts: 8716
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, when i contributed to send Rynner on a cruise, i thought you guys meant the missile. Laughing
joeygirlOffline
Grey
Total posts: 16
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringo_ wrote:
This thread got me thinking on a slightly different track.

Are there any reported cases of people just appearing? I suppose I mean full-on just appearing, as if beamed down from the Enterprise. I know people just turn up from time to time, by no means least Kaspar Hauser, and some people may make a quiet entrance but has anyone seen someone materialise out of thin air?

I tried a search but didn't find anything.

'Benjaman Kyle' see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjaman_Kyle

He was mugged and left without any clothes or identification

AND

he also lost his entire memory because of the incident

AND

in the 7 years since, no-one has come forward to claim him

Initial thoughts are that he is deliberatly trying to hide from something, except that he has actually provided loads of detailed information about his previous 'life' eg roads and theatres being built in the 60's, details of possible employment in restaurants.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14891
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cruise ship disappearances remind me of that Roald Dahl story that was adapted for TV in Tales of the Unexpected, where the bloke jumps over the side to win a bet, thinking the only witness will alert the crew and they'll come back for him, thereby slowing the ship's journey just enough to tie in with his lucrative prediction.

(Spoilers)

Unfortunately for him the witness he picks is actually a senile old lady, and her carer dismisses her claim that a nice man jumped overboard with an indulgent, "Of course he did, dear, now let's get your breakfast."
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14891
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeygirl wrote:
'Benjaman Kyle' see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjaman_Kyle

He was mugged and left without any clothes or identification

AND

he also lost his entire memory because of the incident

AND

in the 7 years since, no-one has come forward to claim him

Initial thoughts are that he is deliberatly trying to hide from something, except that he has actually provided loads of detailed information about his previous 'life' eg roads and theatres being built in the 60's, details of possible employment in restaurants.

Fascinating story, made more chilling in that nobody actually recognises him, even with all that publicity. I hate to think why that is.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10641
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's baffling, because he is nearly blind - you would expect him to at least be registered with some kind of healthcare organisation or any remaining friends/family who had cared for him.
rev_dinoOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 248
PostPosted: 15-09-2011 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tons of good stuff on that case over the always excellent Websleuths: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=147
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 22-09-2011 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vanishing passengers: It's a mystery as bizarre as it is disturbing - why have 165 people gone missing from cruise ships in recent years?
By Natalie Clarke
Last updated at 11:06 PM on 21st September 2011

On the evening of April 6 this year, John Halford packed his suitcase and left it outside the door of his cabin on the cruise liner Thomson Spirit. It was the last day of a week-long Egyptian cruise and the ship was due to dock at Sharm-el-Sheikh the following morning.

Mr Halford, 63, texted his wife Ruth, who was at home in Britain, to say he would see her at the airport the next day, then went off to dinner. At about 12.30 am, he was seen by other passengers drinking cocktails in an upper-deck bar. He then vanished.
Mrs Halford, who has three children, Lucy, 20, Sophie, 18, and Connor, 17, learned of her husband’s disappearance as she was getting ready to drive to the airport to collect him.
‘The phone rang, it was the Thomson’s desk at the airport in Egypt,’ she said. ‘I was told the plane was in the air but my husband was not on it. He’d gone missing from the ship. You could have knocked me over sideways. It made no sense. The children and I were shell-shocked.

‘At first I thought he must have somehow gone ashore without anyone realising, but it would have been impossible because there are various checkpoints when you disembark. He’d simply disappeared.’
Today, more than five months on, Mr Halford, a bookseller from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, remains missing, his fate unknown.

His case is far from unique. Over the past few years, there have been an alarming number of unexplained and unsolved disappearances on board cruise liners.
According to the U.S.-based International Cruise Victims Association, 165 people have gone missing at sea since 1995, with at least 13 this year alone — many of them from vessels popular with British holidaymakers.

Cruise ship holidays are enormously popular. According to the Passenger Shipping Association, 1.7 million cruises will be taken in Britain this year (many will be repeat cruises by the same holidaymakers). But what is happening to all these passengers who simply vanish while at sea, never to be seen again?
Are they the victims of a sinister crime wave? Have they had a mishap at sea and fallen overboard, or perhaps chosen to take their own lives?

The sad fact is that, in many cases, no one knows. And for the family and friends they left behind, that only compounds the heartache. Loved ones such as Ruth Halford and her children, who remain in limbo; bereft, baffled and unable to grieve.

‘John had been really looking forward to the cruise,’ says Mrs Halford.
‘He’d once worked in Libya and was intrigued by North Africa. He was fascinated by ancient Egyptian culture and wanted to see the pyramids.
‘He went alone because we couldn’t afford to go as a family, plus the children had exams coming up. Ships are places where it’s easy to meet people, and John didn’t mind going on his own. The passengers who saw him in the bar say he was not drunk and was in good spirits.

‘He’d packed his suitcase ready to go but his other belongings — his passport, glasses, mobile phone and rucksack — were found in his cabin. But there was no sign of John.
‘John wasn’t depressed — there was no sign at all that he was contemplating suicide. He just wasn’t like that.
His suitcase was later returned to us and in it were three necklaces for me, Lucy and Sophie with our names written in hieroglyphics and a similar name bracelet. John was planning on coming home to us.

At first, Mrs Halford, 46, believed that her husband, with whom she was about to celebrate their silver wedding anniversary, would turn up. But, as time has passed, her hope has nearly all gone.
‘It has been incredibly difficult, surreal really, and terrible for the children,’ she says. ‘In my heart I believe he is dead, that he is gone, that he somehow slipped and went overboard. I can’t think of any other explanation.
‘A search of the sea was carried out at the time, but nothing was found. I am told there are sharks in the area: it is very painful to think about.’

But is the idea of someone ‘slipping overboard’ credible? The rails on cruise ships are at least 3ft 6in high, which makes it incredibly difficult for anyone — even someone who might be drunk or ill — to pitch overboard.

With no clues as to where or how her husband vanished, Mrs Halford is struggling to rebuild her life. After taking time off work after John went missing, she has now had to return to her job as a medical secretary to pay the bills and support the children.
‘Life goes on,’ she says. ‘I need money to pay the bills and we’ve lost John’s salary. John took out travel insurance and I’ve been on to the company to try to make a claim but they simply say: “What are you claiming for?” Evil or Very Mad

‘Thomson haven’t given me any support, either. John was in their care, but I haven’t had so much as a letter from them. I can’t get a widow’s pension because we don’t know if John is dead.
‘We’re living a nightmare and we can’t see a way out of it. It is so unreal that we can’t grieve. We are in limbo. What do we do? Should we hold a funeral? But how can we if we’re not sure he’s dead?’

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2040248/Why-165-people-gone-missing-cruise-ships-recent-years.html#ixzz1YfpcOHPm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 12 of 36

Jump to: