Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Melies Air Moon Rock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
Total posts: 4014
PostPosted: 08-02-2012 14:38    Post subject: Melies Air Moon Rock Reply with quote

http://www.nowness.com/day/2011/12/31/air--moon-rock

Quote:
French ambient electronica band Air impart a cosmic touch to the newly restored color edition of George Méliès’ iconic 1902 film Le Voyage dans la Lune (A Trip to the Moon). Technically innovative at the time, Méliès’ masterpiece pioneered the use of trompe l’oeil objects, papier-mâché props and double-exposure to tell the first science fiction tale in cinema. The story sees astronomer Professeur Barbenfouillis, played by Méliès, fire himself and six colleagues to the moon, explore caverns beneath the surface and escape from the indigenous insectoid Selenites. The color reel, hand-painted by Méliès, was discovered in 1993 by the Spanish film archive La Filmoteca de Catalunya and took almost two decades to restore. Unveiled at this year’s Cannes Film Festival and due for release on DVD this coming February, the new print’s kaleidoscopic palette highlights the movie’s hallucinatory aspects—something Air wanted to match with their soundtrack. “We wanted to give a very surrealistic touch to the movie,” says the group’s Jean-Benoît Dunckel. “Music has to make you leave the Earth.” The Versailles-born musicians, who previously soundtracked Sofia Coppola’s directorial debut The Virgin Suicides, composed an entire album inspired by the film, eliciting vocal contributions from Au Revoir Simone and Victoria Legrand of Beach House. “When the people talk [in the film] we decided to use animal sounds,” explains bandmate Nicolas Godin. “We wanted to do the opposite of Walt Disney. He takes animals and makes them speak with human voices. We have farm noises and elephants.”
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 08-02-2012 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit like early Doctor Who, circa The Web Planet, only, in colour! Laughing
MyrtleeOffline
super um
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: 08-02-2012 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... love the film, not sure about the soundtrack. I'm normally a BIG fan of Air, but I'm just not feeling it.

Might search and see if I can find a longer clip / whole vid of the original film...
MyrtleeOffline
super um
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: 08-02-2012 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.archive.org/details/Levoyagedanslalune

B&W version without the Air soundtrack but with an annoying voiceover - put it on mute, is my advice.

In the past I've not really seen the appeal of very very old films but this is... just delightful. It really made me smile. I love the simple story.
Xanatic_Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 337
PostPosted: 08-02-2012 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Melies' movies can also be found on youtube. I have a DVD with his collected works.
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 5372
PostPosted: 13-02-2012 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe we forgot about him.

He was the father of SX, after all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: