Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Loch Ness Monster II: Sometimes They Swim Back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - water monsters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldroverOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 28-01-2012 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or maybe he was and they didn't use it, ahem.

I've always liked the BBC.

Quote:
What's the evidence Nessie is a predator? As opposed to scavenger, benthic grazer or unique peat filterer?

Agreed there's as much evidence for it being a predator as there is for it existing at all, absolutely none.
Bigfoot73Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1110
PostPosted: 29-01-2012 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was nocturnal people wouldn't keep seeing it during the day. Perhaps when circumstances dictate it puts in a nightshift.
There is no biological imperative to going inland and entering the loch, but some animals are dumb as @@@@.
The only large aquatic herivore I can think of is the manatee, and they're not very large at all and don't fit the habits described.
oldroverOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 29-01-2012 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of one either, used to be Stellar's sea cow though that was huge. I'm sure someone at some time put that forward as a possible Nessie.

Quote:
There is no biological imperative to going inland and entering the loch, but some animals are dumb as @@@@.

Yes, Pandas for example. Carnivore's short gut but screw it I'm off to live on bamboo shoots.
silverityOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 14-02-2012 08:26    Post subject: Food for Nessie Reply with quote

One or two posts asked about the food supply in Loch Ness, so I put together this article:

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2012/02/is-there-enough-food-for-nessie_12.html

Roland
titchOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1092
PostPosted: 14-02-2012 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm still don't think there is anything there beyond giant eels or a stray sturgeon , but plenty too think about there , tvm silver
oldroverOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 14-02-2012 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we could have three bulls of four tonnes each, six females of two tonnes each and ten juveniles of a tonne and under which gives us 19 animals adding up to only 34 tonnes out of the maximum 57 tonnes we have postulated. You can plug in your own numbers here and come to your own conclusions.

My conclusion is that it's unreasonable to suggest that such a group of animals could remain undetected in a relatively small area.

Also that despite the work you've put in there, which I really do admire you for, there's still not a single piece of evidence to suggest there's anything unusual in Loch Ness.
Bigfoot73Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1110
PostPosted: 15-02-2012 00:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also that despite the work you've put in there, which I really do admire you for

Seconded. However I think the crucial factor is the fry-adult survival rate for these species, which is very low for all aquatic fauna.
oldroverOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 15-02-2012 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit more fundamental than that.
silverityOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 20-02-2012 12:02    Post subject: Famous Nessie Photo receives boost Reply with quote

I did this analysis of the Peter MacNab (Nessie near the Castle) photograph which IMO boosts its credibility.

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2012/02/analysis-of-peter-macnab-photograph.html

Roland
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
Total posts: 4014
PostPosted: 20-02-2012 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - an interesting site overall, may write more once I've had a chance to read through it.
Fats_TuesdayOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 518
PostPosted: 23-02-2012 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought the explanation for that photograph (assuming it's no hoax) is actually rather simple.

There is clearly very calm water in the foreground, as you can sea a clear reflection of Urquhart Castle.

If the calm water extended right across the loch, you would expect to see a clear dark reflection of the high hills on the far side (see them at http://g.co/maps/4wnhy), so clearly the water is more disturbed in the middle and far side of the loch, presumably by wind that is not hitting the sheltered foreground.

The "humps" in the photograph are in the same location where the reflection of the very tops of these hills would fall, so the reflection of the tops of the hills in the very edge of the foreground calm water is creating the optical illusion of humps.
silverityOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 14-03-2012 08:20    Post subject: Loch Ness Monster Bibliography Reply with quote

Check if you have all those Nessie books you are collecting!

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2012/03/books-on-loch-ness-monster_13.html

Roland
silverityOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 26-03-2012 11:54    Post subject: Free Archive of Rip Hepple Loch Ness Monster Newsletter Reply with quote

Rip Hepple has published the aquatic cryptid newsletter "Nessletter" since 1975 with the decided emphasis on the Loch Ness Monster. It is a veritable mine of information on Nessie wihch continues where the books left off when the likes of Dinsdale, Mackal, Holiday, etc stopped writing.

With his consent, part of the early series (1975-1985) has been digitised and put online for free viewing and research. I hope to add more issues as time goes on.

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/rip-hepple-nessletter-archive.html

Roland
oldroverOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 27-03-2012 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clicked on the links and the first one mentioned the Barmouth sea monster seen running across the beach by a group of school kids. I'd forgotten that one recently but it used to be one of my favourites.

Looks like this news letter will be quite fascinating.
silverityOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 29-03-2012 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, hope you find it informative. I plan to add more in the weeks/months ahead with Rip's permission.

Roland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - water monsters All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: