Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Animal escapes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hans_BayOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 06-03-2012 16:31    Post subject: Sumatran Orang Pendek 2001 Hair Sample Match Rock Hyrax? Reply with quote

There's been a recent exciting match of the 2001 hair sample with the ventral hairs of the rock hyrax. The evidence can be seen first hand at the official website of Extreme Expeditions on facebook. The evidence is pointing to an ape-like giant hyrax! Perhaps the giant hyrax is clever enough to mimick an orangutan in order to stay aloof and undetected?

(P.S I was unable to start a new topic unfortunately)
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2334
PostPosted: 06-03-2012 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Hans and welcome to the forum, I must admit I'm having trouble understanding this.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21002
PostPosted: 06-03-2012 21:15    Post subject: Re: Sumatran Orang Pendek 2001 Hair Sample Match Rock Hyrax? Reply with quote

Hans_Bay wrote:
There's been a recent exciting match of the 2001 hair sample with the ventral hairs of the rock hyrax. The evidence can be seen first hand at the official website of Extreme Expeditions on facebook. The evidence is pointing to an ape-like giant hyrax! Perhaps the giant hyrax is clever enough to mimick an orangutan in order to stay aloof and undetected?

(P.S I was unable to start a new topic unfortunately)

Hi Hans

Welcome! Your post might fit in with one of the cryptid threads. The all Wise & Benevolent Mods (may They Reign for 1,000 years) will no doubt fix it.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 27-03-2012 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
St Patrick's Day marshal hoping to bring snake back
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0327/1224313953678.html
EOGHAN MacCONNELL

Tue, Mar 27, 2012

A search is under way for a five-foot snake which has been missing since Saturday in Edenderry, Co Offaly.

In case you are wondering about some kind of St Patrick connection, there is one.

As it happens the owner of the pet snake is Adrian Brereton, who last week became the town’s first St Patrick’s Day parade grand marshal.

He was chosen for that role partly because he has become well known for featuring on RTÉ’s weight-loss show Operation Transformation.

Mr Brereton, whose day job is operating Pets Paradise in Edenderry, Co Offaly, lost the orange-coloured corn snake named Borris somewhere in Edenderry.

Mr Brereton had displayed the pet snake at a confirmation party in Rathangan before returning to Edenderry to watch a GAA game on Saturday.

Only when he returned to his pet store did he make the discovery that the reptile’s “box had fallen over and his compartment was open”.
disgruntledgothOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 350
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago I lost a juvenile Psalmopoeus cambridgei, thanks to my sister, it hasn't turned up yet Evil or Very Mad
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

After highlighting and Googling to see what a Psalmopoeus cambridgei was, I doubt I'm the only one who'll quickly click back to see where you live.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10598
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

disgruntledgoth wrote:
A few days ago I lost a juvenile Psalmopoeus cambridgei, thanks to my sister, it hasn't turned up yet Evil or Very Mad

I hope you don't live down the road from me.
disgruntledgothOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover, dependant on where in wales you live, I'm probably closer to you Laughing I have a pretty decent collection of snakes and spiders lol
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

What!

Swansea, don't worry too much about the snakes, they're fine, but keep the spiders on a close lead.
disgruntledgothOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a little town in sunny old Shropshire Laughing The spider only got out because the tub got knocked over, as I was picking up the tongs for maintenance, and the psalmopoeus family are bloody fast spiders -.- the others are all safely locked away Smile
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shropshire

Never mind speed, what about distance.

Seriously though sorry to hear about it.
disgruntledgothOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:
Quote:
Shropshire

Never mind speed, what about distance.

Seriously though sorry to hear about it.

Must have covered a distance of 6 feet in seconds, which, for a spider that was only half an inch leg span, was quite impressive lol

And thanks dude, was pretty gutted when it happened

Edit: The spider was recovered earlier today lol
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 13-04-2012 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was hopping mad when recaptured.

Quote:
Escaped wallaby caught using huge fishing net
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-17701948

Tasmanian wallaby The second wallaby was caught in a huge fishing net just after midnight

Related Stories

* Escaped wallaby on the loose
* Park's escaped wallaby recaptured

A wallaby that was on the loose from a fishery near the boundary between Midlothian and the Scottish Borders has been found.

The 2ft Tasmanian wallaby was caught just after midnight using a fishing net after he was spotted feeding on a 40 acre estate.

The animal swam off an island on a pond at Leadburn Manor, West Linton, with another wallaby on Wednesday.

A local marksman was able to dart the first one on Wednesday evening.
'Furiously swimming'

Francis Gilhooly, owner of Leadburn Manor, told the BBC Scotland news website: "The man who sold the wallabies to us told us that wallabies hate swimming so it would be fine for us to put them on one of our three acre islands.

"However, within six hours of us buying them they were furiously swimming off the island.

"It has been a heartbreaking and traumatic time for both us and the wallabies.

"We will not be releasing them back onto that island because we can't take the chance of them swimming off again so instead we are building a big 1,000sq m enclosure for them.

"We searched the area 30 times for the second wallaby and just as I had given up I saw him sitting in the long grass at one of the ponds, eating."

The Scottish SPCA said wallabies are "extremely difficult" to catch because they can reach speeds of 40mph.

Edit to fix typo.

Last edited by ramonmercado on 21-04-2012 12:17; edited 1 time in total
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 21-04-2012 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vid at link.

Quote:
Bear attack in northern Japan leaves two women dead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17784465

Police believe the bears climbed on to snowdrifts to escape

Two women have died after being attacked by bears at a park in Japan.

Police were alerted to the attack at the Hachimantai park in northern Akita prefecture shortly after 10:00 local time (01:00 GMT) on Friday.

The victims are believed to have been park employees. Reports say a third member of staff in the park at the time managed to escape.

A group of local hunters has found and killed some of the bears, but it is unclear how many have escaped.

Police have told local residents and schoolchildren to stay indoors. Local authorities have closed some roads, with police and firefighters patrolling the area.

The park holds 38 bears and is open to tourists in the summer months; reports say it was currently still closed to the public.

"It's difficult to say exactly how many bears left their cages," a local police spokesman told Agence France Presse.

After initially not approaching the site for fear of more bears on the loose, police were later able to recover the bodies of the two women, local police told AFP.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 01:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Missing tortoise home all the time
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0508/1224315744999.html
CONOR POPE

Tue, May 08, 2012
THE 100-year-old tortoise who was missing presumed fled from his home over the weekend has turned up safe and well and covered in muck from a hole he had dug in his own back garden.

Florentine the tortoise became an overnight shell-ebrity after he apparently disappeared from his family home in Rathgar, Dublin, on Saturday evening.

Once his owners, the Eogan family, realised the tortoise, who has been their slow-moving pet for 40 years, had run away they began putting up posters in their neighbourhood appealing for assistance in locating him.

They also contacted the Garda seeking help and launched an extensive social media campaign.

Within hours the case of the missing tortoise had created a storm on various social network sites and the appeal for Florentine’s safe return quickly became the top trending topic on Twitter.

It turns out that the appeals and the worry were much ado about nothing as the tortoise had merely gone underground in an attempt to escape the cold weather.

“He has never done that before so we can only assume that it’s due to the unseasonal weather,” owner Cliona Eogan said last night.

“Before we raised the alarm we did a thorough search of the garden,” she added.

The dramatic breakthrough in the case came yesterday afternoon. The family had spent the morning walking the streets near their home on Brighton Road, hoping to catch sight of their runaway tortoise, and decided to break for lunch. “When we came home he was emerging from the flower beds covered in muck,” she said.

Despite the consternation the tortoise had caused the family, he was still welcomed home with open arms and given a lavish meal of lettuce and cucumber salad followed by fresh Irish strawberries.

Ms Eogan said they were slightly mortified by the turn of events and astonished at how the story had grown legs so quickly. “We were amazed by the speed and extent of the coverage. We are very grateful if a little embarrassed given the outcome,” she said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: