Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
A Princess of Mars: The Lost 1930's Cartoon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14909
PostPosted: 09-03-2012 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
gncxx wrote:
Mark Kermode hated it today as well, he must have said it was boring about a million times!

Howard the Duck?!! Shocked

Simon Mayo looked quite harassed, by the end of Kermode's harangue.

Mayo said he enjoyed it a bit more, just admitted it was a bit dull. Should be good eye candy if nothing else. Although say what you like about Howard the Duck, it has some zip (not just the one up the back of the duck suit).
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 09-03-2012 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
I usually don't follow what the film critics say.
Quite often, they're wrong - there are plenty of films that are panned, yet they succeed financially and go on to become classics (or they don't succeed financially, but become cult classics).

Quite often the critics don't agree with each other never mind the prevailing mood of the public, but I like to read opinions from witty or knowledgeable writers even if I'm not going along with everything they say 100% of the time. But you could say that about any writers, so if the writing is good enough that's a reason to see what they say.
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
Total posts: 4205
PostPosted: 12-03-2012 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a great film for me personally, up there with the first Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Big Trouble in Little China. If you like those films alot as well, my guess is that you'll really enjoy John Carter.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 12-03-2012 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see it, yesterday, at the Sunday morning matinee, in the Pathé cinema in Rotterdam, in Imax 3D. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not too sure about wearing 3D glasses for over two hours, though. The opening and closing scenes, set in the 19th century US, set the scene very nicely.

I'm quite glad that I read A Princess of Mars, again, a while back.

The, 9ft tall, green skinned, six limbed, tusked, Tharks, were a lot more believable than the blue, furries of, Avatar.

I really liked Deja Thoris, the Princess of Mars and the flying ships were particularly nice with a retro-art nouveau look, harking back to some of the earliest illustrations.

Well worth the price of admission. Smile
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 7132
PostPosted: 13-03-2012 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught up with this, highly entertaining. The Tharks are so well done you forget you're watching CGI animation. Like PM, I thought the Art-noveau influenced design was clever touch.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21087
PostPosted: 15-03-2012 00:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw it, wonderful. Loved the steampunk airships, the camera filter. The jumping John Carter was ace. The storyline was a bit convoluted but it didn't deserve the bad reviews.

Mars as it should be!
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 21-03-2012 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this means there won't be a sequel. Sad Full text at link.

Quote:
John Carter flop to cost Walt Disney $200m
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17442200

The movie John Carter has recorded one of the biggest losses in cinema history

Related Stories

A brief history of cinema flops
John Carter falters at box office
Stanton 'ignored' John Carter budget

Walt Disney has said it expects to lose $200m (£126m) on its movie John Carter, making it one of the biggest flops in cinema history.

The film, about a military captain transported to Mars, could result in an $80-120m loss for Disney's movie business during the current quarter.

Disney shares were down almost 1% in early trading in New York.

The firm is still likely to make a substantial quarterly profit, though, thanks to its TV businesses.

It is estimated that John Carter cost $250m to make and it is likely that Disney spent another $100m on marketing.

The John Carter film is based on a series of books written by the author of Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs.

The series began with A Princess of Mars in 1912 and ended with John Carter of Mars, published after the author's death in 1964.

The film has taken no more than $184m at box offices worldwide, with cinema owners receiving about half of that total.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10662
PostPosted: 21-03-2012 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as it is essentially a well-crafted film, DVD and Blue-Ray sales ought to add to the take substantially. It'll take a while, but I think their losses will be less than $200m.
Trouble is, the box office success is what is always used as the yardstick when deciding to make a sequel. DVD sales don't seem to count for much in the decision-making.
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5548
PostPosted: 25-03-2012 05:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from it. It was a good film, although not worth the A$17 entry. (Try for half-price day.)

The 3-D didn't even bother me much, even if most of it looked like a series of stage flats. (During Avatar, I actually had to take off the glasses several times due to eye strain. No such problem here.)

It's not the worst movie that's going to come out this year (they showed a trailer for Battleship, for Fort's sake), and not the worst film Disney will put out this year.

Basically, I think people aren't going to see it because of the marketing. They screwed it up royally. Fans of the books won't see it because they're convinced it's going to be sacrilege, people not familiar with the books won't see it because the marketing makes no sense.

So Disney have made an OK film, then convinced everyone to not go and see it. Genius!
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 21-04-2012 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads continue to roll for Carter.

Quote:
Disney film boss Rich Ross resigns after John Carter flop
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17790694

Rich Ross presided over major TV successes Hannah Montana and High School Musical

Related Stories

Movie flop to cost Disney $200m
Theme parks help Disney profits
Will Brave have box office heart?

The head of Disney film-making studio, Rich Ross, has resigned as chairman a month after the film John Carter became one of the company's biggest flops.

He revealed his move by email: "I no longer believe that the chairman role is the right professional fit for me."

A 15-year Disney veteran, he became chairman in 2009.

He was previously the president of the Disney Channel when it created the hugely successful High School Musical and Hannah Montana series.

At the movie division, Mr Ross, 50, approved production of the science fiction film John Carter, although it had been in development before he joined the studio.

The film, which was based on a series of books by Tarzan writer Edgar Rice Burroughs, eventually cost more than $250m (£155m, 189m euros) and last month Disney said it expected the film to lose about $200m.

That would leave the studio with $80m-$210m in operating losses.

Disney is not expected to appoint a new studio chairman immediately.

The company's Chief Executive Bob Iger hailed Mr Ross's contribution: "For more than a decade, Rich Ross' creative instincts, business acumen and personal integrity have driven results in key businesses for Disney.

"I appreciate his countless contributions throughout his entire career at Disney and expect he will have tremendous success in whatever he chooses to do next."

Mr Ross joined the Disney Channel in 1996 as a programming and production executive and was promoted to president of the cable channel in 2004.
MythopoeikaOffline
PostPosted: 21-04-2012 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon they forced him to resign. It's unjust, because film sales are at the mercy of the fickle public. There is no reliable way of predicting a film's success.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 21-04-2012 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretending it wasn't a science fiction movie can't have helped.
MythopoeikaOffline
PostPosted: 21-04-2012 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Pretending it wasn't a science fiction movie can't have helped.

Did he do that? How odd.
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5548
PostPosted: 21-04-2012 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they took all references to Mars out of the advertising.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25739
PostPosted: 22-04-2012 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another princess:

Disney pins hopes on Scotland the Brave
As its boss departs, the troubled film studio is yearning for a flame-haired highland warrior princess to ride to the rescue
Guy Adams Los Angeles
Sunday 22 April 2012

Walt Disney will be hoping a ginger-haired Scottish warrior princess will turn into its knight in shining armour this summer. This is not the latest piece of cinematic trickery, however; following the high-profile departure of its chairman on Friday, the studio, increasingly, needs a saviour. And Princess Merida could be it.

All of which means there are high hopes for the fortunes of the Pixar release Brave, the story of Merida, a skilled archer and the daughter of King Fergus who brings chaos on her kingdom when she defies an age-old custom. Starring Scots Kelly Macdonald (who voices Merida), Billy Connolly and Robbie Coltrane, the animation will have its European premiere at the closing night of this year's Edinburgh International Film Festival on 30 June, ahead of its UK release in August. Scotland's First Minister, Alex Salmond, has said the arrival of Hollywood in the Scottish capital brings "tourism and business opportunities" and that Brave will be "the most high-profile film ever set in, and themed around, Scotland, featuring Scottish stars".

Expensive to make, and creatively ambitious, Brave and its makers give Highland culture the sort of lucrative Hollywood treatment it last enjoyed with Braveheart. An awful lot of eggs are now invested in Brave's tartan basket. But in an era where a film can sink or swim on the back of clever marketing and canny executive decisions, the studio will need its executive ranks to be firing on all cylinders.

etc...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/disney-pins-hopes-on-scotland-the-brave-7668404.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: