Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Things that go grab in the night
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatsupwatsonOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 20:23    Post subject: Things that go grab in the night Reply with quote

I've been meaning to share this for a while, it happened to me about a year ago (looking back in my diary, 28th June 2011 to be precise)...

I'm a very heavy sleeper (sometimes I don't hear my alarm going off, even after a good 8hours sleep), but in this incident I woke up in the middle of the night.
I was lying on my back and could feel something on top of me, pinning me down by my arms and legs. I couldn't move, whatever was 'holding' me down was really heavy.
I was still pretty much unconsious with sleep and not thinking clearly, but something in my mind kind of said 'You're in trouble, do something now!', and I reacted instantly by screaming.
And by screaming, I mean screaming absolute bloody-murder; so loud that I woke up my next-door neighbour.
I also woke up my husband who put the light on and, as you can probably guess, when the light came on nothing was there and I could move again.

Probably nothing more then a case of sleep-paralysis...except...
Just before he was woken up by my screaming my husband had been 'dreaming' that something was on top of me and attacking me.

We've considered that him dreaming I was being attacked made him 'sleep-attack' whatever he thought was hurting me (or attack me in other words) but when he put the light on there was a good foot or so of space between us on the bed and he just didn't have time to move off of me and that far away; I could feel the 'thing' on me until the second that the light came on.

We both felt absolutely terrified, I have never been that scared in my life ever before or since...and also both really strongly felt that something was in our flat.
We put all the lights on, checked all the doors and windows, made a cup of tea (the English answer to everything) and then stayed up until the sun came up. We literally could not force ourselves to go back into the bedroom in the dark, or even go to sleep on the sofa with all the lights on.

Oddly (or not), neither of my cats had any reaction to this incident and they are usually pretty sharp; they will be waiting at the front door a good five minutes before either of us arrive home, or even before the postman turns up (and god know those lot never arrive at the same time everyday!!).

There's probably a really simple explanation, such as one of us had a night-terror and it set off a chain reaction of panic.
But ever since it happened, I've become really unnerved by the dark. And I've started to 'remember' waking up and seeing man-shaped shadows in my bedroom (always only one) on-and-off since I was young, but have always fell instantly back to sleep on these other occasions.

It's made quite a good story to tell friends and we tend to make a joke out of it; "Have we told you about our ghost?"
But seriously...even writing this makes me feel uncomfortable...shudder.
jacolanternOffline
what candle?
Total posts: 123
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. Very Happy
I can see why you'd be a bit leery of sleeping in the dark after something like this. Shocked
What i think is equally fascinating tho is the possible *alternative* explanation to a night-time attack by an incorporeal being which would be that, as you say, this could be an instance of sleep paralysis/night terror etc that you communicated telepathically to your sleeping husband, him receiving it and incorporating it into a dream.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13082
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry too much, there was no harm done other than putting the wind up you for a while, but in a way that's no help whatsoever (!) it did remind me of a sleep paralysis case I read in Ghosts Over Britain (old book discussed elsewhere here) where a woman was in bed alone (her husband was in the spare room as he had to get up early for work and didn't want to disturb her) and she suffered this phenomenon.

This time it took the form of two huge orange eyes staring at her and a crushing weight until she snapped out of it, terrified. The strange thing was the previous day she had seen a large shape slither out from under her bedsheets and disappear. So sometimes sleep paralysis takes odd forms, is the moral.
jacolanternOffline
what candle?
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this may sound a bit silly but what defines something as an instance of sleep paralysis as opposed to an actual experience of something not quite right?
What i mean fer example is my Daughter had a few of these disturbing black figure type experiences in an old flat, which she'd never had before she lived here and has never had since moving out. They all occured in a sleep setting and could no doubt have been explained away by paralysis/terrors etc except that her flatmate also had experiences involving the same thing. (different experiences, same scary black figure/sleep setting).
Other people mentioned 'things' but not quite as specific.
What i mean i spose is whilst the op's experience, while undoubtably being horrible, could be taken as night terror, at what point does it enter the realms of a possibility of something else?
whatsupwatsonOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacolantern wrote:
while undoubtably being horrible, could be taken as night terror, at what point does it enter the realms of a possibility of something else?

Interesting (and scary) thought, Jacolantern.
While I do feel more comfortable looking at this as a 'night-terror' incident rather than some 'thing' attacking me (I don't like referring to it as a 'thing' but I really don't know how else to describe it), the only other explanation left it that t'other half is trying to do me in, in his sleep Shocked

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/nov/20/brian-thomas-dream-strangler-tragedy

Surely that's worse than some ghost having a bit of a grope (sorry, can't help making a joke out of it).
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend is currently giving up smoking, since which time he's having violent incidents in his sleep. His wife awoke the other night to see his fist punching hell out of the bed inches from her head. It really is scary.

Quote:
i know this may sound a bit silly but what defines something as an instance of sleep paralysis as opposed to an actual experience of something not quite right?

Honestly I'd say that if it happens while you're either on the verge of sleeping or waking, then the chances of it being sleep paralysis, or whatever the correct term is, are pretty overwhelming.
AngelAliceOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 733
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacolantern - The thing about sleep paralysis is it's one of those names that describe without explaining. Well, ok, at the basic level of waking up paralysed we have a pretty good idea it's caused by part of the brain waking before the rest, so to speak. But when it comes to the more florid stuff like footsteps, smells, feelings of pressure, hearing voices, seeing things, we really have no clue what's causing it. Maybe it's auditory and visual hallucinations, or maybe it's something far far stranger. I think some researcher pointed out that the similarity of the experience in all cases points away from simple hallucination, and I think that's a valid point. Hallucinations tend to be pretty random.

On the other hand I'd say the lack of reaction from OP's cats does imply nothing externally weird was actually going on. If there'd been any kind of real threat I think they'd have spooked don't you.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21440
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacolantern wrote:
What i mean fer example is my Daughter had a few of these disturbing black figure type experiences in an old flat, which she'd never had before she lived here and has never had since moving out. They all occured in a sleep setting and could no doubt have been explained away by paralysis/terrors etc except that her flatmate also had experiences involving the same thing. (different experiences, same scary black figure/sleep setting).
Other people mentioned 'things' but not quite as specific.
What i mean i spose is whilst the op's experience, while undoubtably being horrible, could be taken as night terror, at what point does it enter the realms of a possibility of something else?

I had it last night feeling as if something was pressing down on me. I was also geeting buzzs or shocks, especially in my head. I was paralysed, couldn't wake up.
DaveTigerOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 81
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a sleep paralysis incident several years ago that I may have described before somewhere here. In a nutshell, the time was around 3 am, and my cat lay sleeping at my feet, as usual. I woke, felt my cat on my feet, and heard deep, laborious breathing coming from my open bedroom door, getting closer and closer until it was right above me at the edge of the bed.

My cat growled and spit, and leaped off the bed and out the door. I was frozen with fear, and could not move. At this point, I said a quick prayer (no atheists in foxholes and all that). The breathing noise vanished and I could once again move.

I've had a couple other experiences like that, but none so dramatic. The weird thing was, my cat reacted to something I was experiencing in my mind and body.

Or maybe it was something else. Shocked
jacolanternOffline
what candle?
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

At which point DaveTiger i think i'd be seeing if i could beat the world record for staying awake. Shocked
Never (touch wood) had sleep paralysis, i tend to sleep like a rock anyway, but did used to sleepwalk as did my Dad and my Daughter.
i would say that animals are a good weather vane when it comes to oddness, so if the op's cats didn't freak out, then not to worry overly much, just sounds like a rather unpleasant episode with possible telepathic undertones.
As for DaveTiger's cat-well aren't they also telepathic, so who knows.(could be at risk of disappearing up it's own a**e this arguement).
But basically if it doesnt happen on the borders of sleep, animals do react,but not from reading your mind, you're not quitting smoking or otherwise undergoing any other sort of stress, and more than one person (with whom you have no particularly close relationship) experiences *something* then it could equally be put down to an external event as some sort of sleep anomoly?
AngelAliceOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacolantern wrote:

But basically if it doesnt happen on the borders of sleep, animals do react,but not from reading your mind, you're not quitting smoking or otherwise undergoing any other sort of stress, and more than one person (with whom you have no particularly close relationship) experiences *something* then it could equally be put down to an external event as some sort of sleep anomoly?

Well, yes, I think you'd have to say so, unless you take it as a given that such events are impossible. Wink

The truly weird thing about sleep paralysis - or Old Hag to give it it's more defining name - is the incredible similarity of the experience, person to person and culture to culture. Hallucinations just don't tend to behave that way.
jacolanternOffline
what candle?
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

well just from reading various threads on here i know about the paralysis, the feeling of pressure on your chest, as if some*one* is sat astride you, the feelings of dread/terror, and these go when you eventually manage to move, are there any other common factors that would define this experience?
AngelAliceOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacolantern wrote:
well just from reading various threads on here i know about the paralysis, the feeling of pressure on your chest, as if some*one* is sat astride you, the feelings of dread/terror, and these go when you eventually manage to move, are there any other common factors that would define this experience?

From my own reading, I'd say what you describe is probably the most common collection of features. Others that are less often but still frequently reported are:

*Hearing footsteps approaching and entering the room

*Hearing a voice whispering or muttering

*Feeling grasped by strong hands

*Seeing a figure enter the room or stand by the bed, or even seeing the figure sitting on the experiencer at the same time the pressure is felt.

*Odors, usually unpleasant, like tobacco smoke.

Personally if even a mild version of this happened to me I would never sleep again Shocked
jacolanternOffline
what candle?
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks for that, i'd have to see if i can find any reading on this when i eventually break up and have a spare evening-sounds a potentially fascinating subject.(provided it doesn't rub off).

' seeing the figure sitting on the experiencer at the same time the pressure is felt. ' Shocked Shocked Shocked gadzooks
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21440
PostPosted: 08-05-2012 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*Seeing a figure enter the room or stand by the bed, or even seeing the figure sitting on the experiencer at the same time the pressure is felt.

I haven't experienced that for years but I used to,

The Night Hags visits are less frequent these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: