Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Fortean Wiki
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VibracobraOffline
Swynke, Drynke, Swyve!
Total posts: 37
PostPosted: 11-07-2009 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has any problems signing up please contact me as it should be fairly easy. That said, the site can be edited by anyone, though obviously anything you add in this way will be done anonymously.

To join you simply need to sign up first with Wikidot. If you are on the Forteana site then there is a link top right which says create account. Click on this and enter the details for your new account. Wikidot will then send you an email with a link in it which, when clicked on, will activate your account.

Once this is done you can go to http://fortean.wikidot.com/system:join and just type 'Yowie' into the secret password box and you will automatically be added as a member.

Alternatively if you send me an email to cmbond23@btinternet.com then I can send you an email invite, which might be slightly easier.

As I say though, you don't actually have to be a member to edit and add material, though you do if you want to create a blog entry.
VibracobraOffline
Swynke, Drynke, Swyve!
PostPosted: 14-07-2009 00:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a nice new shiny blog on the site now at http://fortean.wikidot.com/blog:_start. Only members can post to the blog but for those like Lauren who may not feel comfortable editing the encyclopedia pages, it means that you can still contribute to the site, and as far as the blog is concerned, anything goes. So long as it's fortean!

I've also added feed aggregators at http://fortean.wikidot.com/feeds (the pages called 'Aggregator' under each relevant heading) which should pull the latest posts from twitter, technorati, del.icio.us etc for any of the selected categories there. There are also feeds for many other sites and this should be a handy place where users can check all the latest news and blog posts from any number of fortean sites, keeping 'clippers' bang up to date and saving loads of time for anyone who is used to trawling the urls. Notice of any feeds that I've so far missed would be greatly appreciated.
Proff_NebulousOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 34
PostPosted: 17-07-2009 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to advertize your site. Not just here but on any site that you think has relevance

I would gladly let you have a reciprical advert on my own site if you are intrested.

http://collinwood.yuku.com/
VibracobraOffline
Swynke, Drynke, Swyve!
PostPosted: 09-07-2010 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies. Tried to make the site available once more several months ago but, for some reason, every time I logged in in order to go to the Site Manager the pages would get stuck in an endless loop of refreshment (I can't say I blame them in this heat). The site would only work properly when not logged in and, of course, I had to log in to make the site available again. This was very frustrating. The problem is now fixed and the site is now as was, though all members have disappeared. So any former members will need to re-join, if they wish to. I have changed the settings such that those with wikidot accounts now have enough permissions to be able to edit the site. This means that those former members (who should still have wikidot accounts) should be able to edit straight away. It will also mean that those who register a wikidot account but have problems getting full site membership will still be able to edit. Anonymous editing was tried for a while but this proved very problematic. The secret password for those wanting full membership is still "Yowie".
WhistlingJackOffline
Total posts: 3564
PostPosted: 09-07-2010 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a reward for your good work, I've made this thread sticky Wink
VibracobraOffline
Swynke, Drynke, Swyve!
PostPosted: 10-07-2010 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WhistlingJack. That should make it easier to attract new members. Very much appreciated.
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1209
PostPosted: 05-12-2010 00:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have signed up and am happy to contribute. I have a good knowledge of local paranormal phenomenon, but do not know what type of material is required. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Very Happy
VibracobraOffline
Swynke, Drynke, Swyve!
PostPosted: 15-08-2011 02:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about anything will do. Lots of material is needed on all subjects and every little helps. So little has been added by anyone other than myself so far (barely a dozen or so edits), but it might just take one person to get the ball rolling. If you need any help with anything there just PM me on the site as I don't visit this forum too often these days, or send me an email at cmbond23@live.co.uk. Apologies for the delay in replying but I've been really busy on my other websites.
James_H2Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 584
PostPosted: 15-08-2011 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and put in a couple of articles.
VibracobraOffline
Swynke, Drynke, Swyve!
PostPosted: 18-08-2011 00:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

James_H2 wrote:
I'll try and put in a couple of articles.

Thanks James!
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 18-08-2011 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this site the other day and was really impressed. So I signed up as soon as I came across this. Well done so far will try to contribute what I can.

Only one thing I would say is that people who want to support may not, like me, necessarily read the announcement section very often.
VibracobraOffline
Swynke, Drynke, Swyve!
PostPosted: 22-08-2011 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:
Only one thing I would say is that people who want to support may not, like me, necessarily read the announcement section very often.

True! But I don't really want to start a spamfest. I tried that a year or two back when I first created the wiki, and it got me nowhere. If it starts turning into something good and worthwhile, then word of mouth should do the rest, and it's easy to invite friends to join the site. I guess when people start adding more content then the site will get discussed here and there.

If anyone would like to contribute something to the site, but would rather start with nimble footprints, then the Fortean Timeline is a good introduction. All it needs is snippets of info, ordered by date. Just add the details for some Fortean event which happened on a particular day in history. Add the info to the page for that date, then copy the same information to the page for the relevant year. That way we get two timelines: one chronological, from prehistory to the present day; and the other being a "on this day in history". See the page for http://fortean.wikidot.com/june-15 for an example, then click on 1857 to see how the both interact.

If the pages for the year and/or date you want to add don't yet exist there are templates for creating the code for both date and year pages at http://fortean.wikidot.com/templates.

Last edited by Vibracobra on 24-08-2011 19:34; edited 1 time in total
WhistlingJackOffline
Total posts: 3564
PostPosted: 24-08-2011 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea - lets those of us who don't feel up to writing authoritative entries contribute in our own small way.
47ForteansOffline
Live Fortean And Prosper!
Total posts: 1706
PostPosted: 21-05-2012 00:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just joined up, look forward to seeing you all there, and wasting time and having fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: