Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Epworth and Old Jeffrey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10507
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 06:30    Post subject: Epworth and Old Jeffrey Reply with quote

Following on from this thread about John Wesley's scary chair, his childhood home, Epworth Rectory, was the scene of an early and well documented poltergeist haunting.

Despite being a staple of British ghost books, most online accounts seem to be a near facsimile of this one:
Quote:
The first officially-recorded poltergeist activity* occurred in December 1716 at the Parsonage in Epworth, Lincolnshire. All members of the Wesley family heard loud rappings and noises over a period of two months. Sometimes the noises were of a specific character, according to the well-kept notes of Mrs. Wesley. During one incident when she and her husband were descending the stairs one day they heard a noise as if someone was emptying a large bag of coins at their feet. This was followed by the sound of glass bottles being "dashed to a thousand pieces." Other sounds heard were running footsteps, groans, and a door latch being lifted several times.

The Epworth Poltergeist case is regarded one of the best documented in the annals of British psychical research, but no satisfactory explanation has been forthcoming
*..it isn't clear if they mean it's the first at that location, or the first recorded case full stop, which it certainly isn't (off the top of my head, the Drummer of Tedworth predates it by about 50 years, for a start, though that is disputed by some, one of which I queried here, though he clearly has his opinions set, and it's his site, so I let it be Smile.)

One of the better summaries of the Epworth events comes from Answers.com:
Quote:
The psychic disturbances of a poltergeist nature at Epworth Vicarage, England, in 1716 during its occupancy by Rev. Samuel Wesley, father of Methodist Church founder John Wesley. The phenomena lasted for several months and were first attributed to trickery, then to the devil, although Samuel's wife, Susannah Wesley, disagreed with the latter hypothesis. Instead, she connected it with the fate of her brother who, in the service of the East India Company, disappeared and was never heard of again. It was not proved that the rappings were caused by his discarnate agency, but the members of the family took it for granted after a while that "Old Jeffrey" was involved in the manifestations, which appeared to be connected mostly with Hetty Wesley. She was noticed to tremble strongly in her sleep when the knockings occurred.

The main disturbances lasted with intervals for two months, December and January 1716-17, and broke out occasionally afterward. The contention that they still recurred a generation later is based on a letter by Emily Wesley, dated February 16, 1750, containing this passage: "Another thing is that wonderful thing called by us Jeffrey. You won't laugh at me for being superstitious if I tell you how certainly that something calls on me against any extraordinary new affliction; but so little is known of the invisible world that I am at least not able to judge whether it be friendly or an evil spirit."

The records of the phenomena consist mostly of family letters and an account written by Samuel Wesley. The disturbances began with knockings. Susannah Wesley wrote on January 12, 1717: "One night it made such a noise in the room over our heads as if several people were walking; then run up and down the stairs, and was so outrageous that we thought the children would be frightened, so your father and I rose and went down in the dark to light a candle. Just as we came to the bottom of the broad stairs, having hold of each other, on my side there seemed as if somebody had emptied a bag of money at my feet and on his as if all the bottles under the stairs (which were many) had been dashed into a thousand pieces. We passed through the hall into the kitchen and got a candle and went to see the children. The next night your father would get Mr. Hoole to lie at our house and we all sat together till one or two o'clock in the morning and heard the knocking as usual. Sometimes it would make a noise like the winding up of a jack; at other times, as that night Mr. Hoole was with us, like a carpenter planning deals; but mostly commonly it knocked three and stopped and then thrice again and so many hours together."

Her daughter Hetty heard "something like a man in a loose nightgown trailing after him" coming down the stairs behind her, and sometimes a shape like a "badger" was seen under the bed. The noises answered knock for knock and came in any part of the house. At family prayers they became very agitated at the names of King George and the Prince. Samuel Wesley often tried to speak to them but the only answer he received was "two or three feeble squeaks a little louder than the chirping of a bird, but not like the noise of rats which I have often heard."

Another daughter, Nancy, was once lifted up with the bed in which she sat. She leapt down and said that surely Old Jeffrey would not run away with her. She was persuaded to sit down again when the bed was lifted several times successively to a considerable height. The noise affected the mastiff of the household. It whimpered in terror and strove to get between the people of the house.

It's been mentioned once or twice on here in passing, but has anyone been there or have any more info to add?
amarok2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 222
PostPosted: 12-11-2012 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a letter to FT comparing Epworth to Gef the Talking Mongoose. My sources were (cut and paste):

1. Sacheverell Stiwell: Poltergeists (New York: University Books, 1959 [1940]).

2. Harry Price: Poltergeist Over England (London: Bracken Books, 1993 [1945]). Both Price and Sitwell contain the letters and diary entries of the various Wesleys.

Unless there were more Wesley letters, diaries, etc., published unabridged somewhere, I don't know how one could find any more info.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6220
PostPosted: 13-11-2012 01:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case is indeed documented in family letters. Some are to be found here:

Not sure of the Game context but I think these are the authentic goods!

Harry Price draws heavily on the letters for the chapter on the Wesley haunting in his book Poltergeist. At least we know he didn't assist that one! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: