Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Are poltergeists an economic phenomenon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazza34Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 58
PostPosted: 02-01-2013 13:51    Post subject: Are poltergeists an economic phenomenon? Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9781000/9781438.stm
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 1420
PostPosted: 28-02-2013 01:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suspect that the good Mr Clarke (Author of Ghosts: A Natural History) has been quoted out of context. As far as I know, there's no evidence showing that ghosts are associated with recessions. In fact, I feel a bit silly even typing those words.
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2345
PostPosted: 28-02-2013 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was Loyd Auerbach who noted: "Poltergeists do not happen in happy families."

(This begs the question of what was wrong in the Wesley household; but with so many kids, somebody was bound to be miserable.)

If this is true, then one would expect poltergeists in houses with long-term unresolveable stresses, like parents who ought to divorce and won't, an extended period of unemployment, or a member with a health condition that drags on forever.
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 1420
PostPosted: 28-02-2013 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeniG wrote:
I believe it was Loyd Auerbach who noted: "Poltergeists do not happen in happy families."

I'd never heard that quote before, but I can quite believe that he was accurate in his diagnosis.

I've lived in around 19 different homes over the years, but the one in which I experienced poltergeist activity was the one in which I was at my unhappiest, which manfiested itself in excema and an eventual case of acute mental illness. I would be hard pushed to explain cause and effect in my own case though. It all seemed to be part and parcel of the same dismal situation.
ThaurmaturgeOffline
Grey
Total posts: 16
PostPosted: 04-03-2013 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are however many miserable families sans poltergeist & you can always find something wrong in any family if you look hard enough - I believe in the Wesley's household it was largely due to the accession! I seem to remember that Pater Wesley was also not popular with his congregation and the parents did have periods when they were estranged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: