Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Haunted pubs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttaarraassOffline
Total posts: 1636
PostPosted: 27-04-2006 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful round-up of other haunted pubs:
http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=55&ArticleID=1464196 wrote:
Roll-call of pubs with more than one kind of spirit
Yorkshire has some of the most haunted bars in the country. Emma Dunlop takes a look at some of the more well-known.
Carbrook Hall in the Darnall area of Sheffield is reputedly the city's most haunted pub, with four different ghosts having been sighted there.
The main ghost – a short, stocky man with long, brown hair and wearing heavy, dark 17th century clothing – often appears at the top of the stairs.
The ghost is believed to be that of a Colonel John Bright, who fought in Oliver Cromwell's army in the Civil War.
In Wyke in West Yorkshire regulars at the Hypnotist pub have often encountered "Fred the Flusher", which is said to be the ghost of an engineer, based at a nearby dam, who died after an accident.
He is described as middle-aged and dripping wet and is blamed for flushing toilets when no one is around.
But it is York which stands head and shoulders above the rest of the region in terms of ghostly apparitions. It is the most haunted city in the country, with every street, alley and pub seeming to have a chilling ghost story to tell.
At the Five Lions pub there is a figure known locally as "Green Jenny", although she has not been seen for many years.
The Punchbowl, in Micklegate Bar, is regularly visited by a spectre known as the "Burnt Landlord".
This spook is the ghost of a landlord who burnt to death in a fire there and haunts one of the bedrooms and the cellar.
The ghost of a woman who died of a broken heart has also been seen on site.
Also in York, at the Snickleway Inn, on Goodramgate – formerly the Anglers' Arms – the ghost of a little girl is often seen waiting on the staircase.
She met her death when a horse and cart delivering beer ran over her just outside the pub.
There is also a much more sinister presence which haunts the basement of the same pub.
Five other pubs in the city – the Roman Bath on St Sampson's Square, the York Arms on High Petergate, the Golden Fleece on Pavement Street, the First Hussar on North Street and the Other Tap and Spile, also on North Street – can also claim ghostly fame.
They include a phantom splasher, a grey lady, a drunken airman and two caped figures.

There's several dozen identical copies of the initial report in newspapers around the world (do a search on news.google.com) because they've all been copied from the original (above) which was on the press wires so there isn't a link to it.
maxwell121Offline
Grey
Total posts: 8
PostPosted: 27-04-2006 11:13    Post subject: Police Report Reply with quote

So, did the police claim "they had nothing to go on"? Rolling Eyes
MaxMolyneuxOffline
Photography Ninja Of The Night!
Total posts: 1651
PostPosted: 27-04-2006 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if this Fred the flusher died at the dam why does he feel the need to go to the pub then? Laughing

Ah well least he cares about the bad smells in toilets when no one flushes! Laughing

Will have to go to York again someday.

Full of pastry shops. Cool
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25681
PostPosted: 12-03-2012 09:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search on 'pub' in the Ghosts forum, and several threads turn up - many could be merged.

Meanwhile, here's another one!

His regular haunt: Bar staff spooked by ghost of landlord murdered at pub 116 years ago
By Valentina Jovanovski
PUBLISHED: 19:39, 11 March 2012 | UPDATED: 19:39, 11 March 2012

Most pubs are used to seeing scuffles and disturbances on their premises, but they are usually not of the supernatural kind.

However, at the Trocadero in Birmingham, West Midlands, Henry Skinner, a former landlord of the well-known city-centre bar, is making his presence felt 116 years after he was murdered there.
Mr Skinner knocks over glasses, flings beer mats and even throws loose change to the annoyance of staff.

But far from being a gin-soaked regular propping up the bar, Mr Skinner is in fact a ghost.
And in the centenary year of the pub being christened the Trocadero, he has stepped up his anti-social behaviour.

Mr Skinner served in the military before taking over at the establishment which was then named the Bodega, an upmarket winebar that was a famous haunt of thespians and sportsmen.
The burly publican was well-known in the city and ran a popular boxing academy.

But on December 5, 1895, he made the mistake of crossing brothers Herbert and Arthur Allen.
Arthur Allen worked at the pub but was sacked on the spot and a furious row over wages erupted. In a fit of rage his brother, grabbed a gun and shot the landlord.
The Birmingham Gazette reported: 'The bulldog pattern bullet, quite capable of felling an ox, buried itself in the wainscoting.
'Skinner turned back towards the noise and the next shot caught him in the side of the chest as he turned.'

But Mr Skinner is not the only spirit said to wander the building, which became a drinking house in 1883.
Two girls who fell to their deaths on a spiral staircase also make an occasional appearance.
The wafting smell of burning wood is also believed to be a ghostly reminder of the building's previous use as a fire station.

Current manager Pete Yeomans admitted the only spirits he has seen have been on the top shelf.
But the 30-year-old added: 'A previous manager saw a ghostly gentleman and she felt she always had to say hello and goodbye to Henry.'

Yet his partner Kayleigh Thomas, who has worked at the Trocadero since 2006, has encountered Mr Skinner on a number of occasions.
She said: 'He's a friendly ghost. I've never seen him, but I've heard him many times. He tends to knock over glasses and leave things out.
'You'll open up and find some very strange things have been placed on tables, such as clocks.

'But his party piece is making the money in fruit machines rattle. That can be a bit unnerving when you're the only one in the room.' Shocked

Michael Reddy, who runs ghost walks through the city, said the Trocadero ticks all boxes when it comes to hauntings.
He said: 'It has a significant number of ghosts in there, that's the difference with it.'
'It's a fascinating building and an important part of our heritage.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2113519/Bar-staff-spooked-ghost-landlord-murdered-pub-116-years-ago.html#ixzz1otTCua80
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 3219
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:

The wafting smell of burning wood is also believed to be a ghostly reminder of the building's previous use as a fire station.

The Fire Station caught fire?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25681
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:
rynner2 wrote:

The Fire Station caught fire?

It's happened before!
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349174#349174

And I recently posted a story about a fire engine that burned out!
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1297354

Cool
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18737
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, my youngest lives in Brum. I'll drag her to the Trocadero next time I'm over! Very Happy
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 998
PostPosted: 05-03-2013 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be so capital-centric, but there's a MeetUp.com group called Spooky London Pubs which might appeal to one or two threadsters. (I'm a member myself, although I've only been to a few meets, being a poor student).
smokeheadOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 262
PostPosted: 08-03-2013 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of lifes minor mysteries to me why my boss, sharp as a tack on business matters and much else besides, knowing full well the nature of those two reprobates I worked with Alf and Frankie,moved the business into an old church right next door to the Anchor pub Confused
I'm pretty sure the landlord John, told us the pub was haunted, but there may well have been alcohol involved.
What is clear is that it eventually became the Livingstone Dance Academy,and there were reports of poltergeist type activity from it's staff and members.
The old church itself being supposedly haunted (It's now an ATS tyre depot)
it sounds like paranormal central, but frustratingly, I never saw or heard anything in either location.
KrepostnoiOffline
Grey
Total posts: 12
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 23:10    Post subject: Burton Arms, Burton Fleming, E. Yorkshire. Reply with quote

I'm just back from a bike rally at a splendid campsite in Burton Fleming - part of the site's splendidness is that it incorporates its very own stone circle in one of the camping fields...

A couple of the other bikers had arrived earlier in the week, and last night they recounted to me how they'd been in the village pub one evening shortly after they arrived, watching packets of peanuts detach themselves from the card behind the bar, and fall to the floor, with no obvious reason for them to do so. The barmaid was quite blase, saying that it was a "Mr Crigley" (I am guessing the spelling), who haunts the pub. That same evening, there was seemingly also some business with a wine glass moving of its own accord, but the details are now garbled in my memory, other than the fact that no-one had actually ordered any wine that night.

Apparently, the story goes that the unfortunate Mr Crigley was an electrician contracted to do something with the pub's wiring, and ended up electrocuting himself on site. Ever since, he has been unhappy that the pub remains open, and makes minor mischief. The pub has recently changed hands, and the restaurant bit is being refurbished. Mr Crigley is apparently interfering with this, too, removing fresh plaster from the walls overnight.

Now, the sceptic in me says this last details sounds like an excuse from a lazy plasterer, but the rest of the tale was told in a plausible way. It could just be a wind-up, but the mundanity of the detail kind of sold it to me, as did the interplay between the husband and wife telling the story: during other conversations, the one wasn't slow to accuse the other of getting details wrong. That said, I was in the pub on the Friday night, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Mind you, this was before I heard the story, and so I wasn't particularly keeping an eye out for weird events.

But if you fancy a Fortean excuse to justify a trip to the Yorkshire riviera, I gather the pub offers B&B, and as I say, there's quite an idiosyncratic campsite if tents or caravans are more your thing. There's also the Rudstone Monolith just down the road and the Gypsey Race flows through the village.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brought to you by the E.Yorkshire Tourist Board

Be great if it were true, mind. Very Happy
KrepostnoiOffline
Grey
Total posts: 12
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
Brought to you by the E.Yorkshire Tourist Board

Strapline - "Eeh, Yorkshire, it's grand." Very Happy
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to an FT meet up, up there a few years back, meeting up with some of the Northern archaeology folks. Walked on the moors, exploring ancient settlements uncovered by heath fires, visited dolmen and burial mounds, then went to Whitby to visit the ruined abbey where Dracula first made his home in Britain, met up with another FTer, had some great beer and fish & chips.

It's a great area for all sorts of Fortean related stuff. Wink
hersayjebOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 02-06-2014 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats actually proper spooky

-------------
psychological disorders list
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14891
PostPosted: 02-06-2014 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they Big D peanuts? Maybe the ghost wanted to see a bare naked lady? Or do they not make those anymore (the peanuts, not the ladies)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: