Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Thylacine paw prints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1001
PostPosted: 02-03-2013 16:30    Post subject: Thylacine paw prints Reply with quote

http://forteanzoology.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/thylacine-paw-print-in-mud.html

Paw print of a Tasmanian wolf?
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2327
PostPosted: 02-03-2013 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% definitely not I'm afraid.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 03-03-2013 02:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so, it looks like drawing as tazzy wolf hind prints i've seen.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 04-03-2013 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the wrong shape, overall it's far too compressed front to back, the planter is a poor match, although that would depend, and the digits look too short. Also I wasn't aware that there were any thylacine foot prints on record.

I've no idea of scale but on its own it looks like a dog print to me.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 04-03-2013 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again
There are sketches, i think some were taken at the time of the 'offical' existance. I'll need to check on that though, i think it was in Paddle's book but i don't have it to hand.
Ive seen thousands of dog prints of all kinds of breeds but none that look like that. It seemsthe best match to the thylacine paw outline the guy draws.
The thylacine research guys are fairly skeptical about most stuff, especialy the younger guy.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 04-03-2013 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddle's book is probably less than two feet away from me as I type but due to my unique and, as some have noted, revolutionary filing system it may take a while to find.

Sorry to yet again be the naysayer but if that is as the video says the front paw of a thylacine then where's the fifth digit? Granted it won't be as prominent as the others but on a surface like that it would definitely show. The guys at the thylacine research unit should know this. Another thing which for me writes them off as totally unreliable is the statement 'if it's not dog it's thylacine', that isn't true and it doesn't show the necessary critical attitude that's needed to carry out any sort of research.

Also their entire analysis is so subjective it's worthless, for example much of it depends on the relative sizes of the outlines used, and that the digits remain fixed in the same relative positions. A further problem is as they're all hand drawn their shapes aren't any use a reliable comparison either. Aside from that if you just enter dog prints on Google you get these on the images section;

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/somkku9kanokwan/somkku9kanokwan1209/somkku9kanokwan120900129/15089641-foot-dog-prints-on-a-cement.jpg

Which, especially the left, are pretty much an exact match for the mud print.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 05-03-2013 03:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but to my eyes they don't look at all alike.
I can't say this is a thylacine print but it strikes me as odd looking to say the least.
I do know that stuffed thylacines tended to have very badly preserved paws. A guy in the Leeds Natural history museum exlaned that to me as a student. The fet were damaged by the mounting process.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 05-03-2013 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry but to my eyes they don't look at all alike.

Fair enough, I accept that in saying they are a match I'm now being subjective.

The fact remains though this can't be a thylacine front paw, as they suggest, because we're a digit down. Thylacines had five digits on their fore paws whatever left this print had four. So however unusual this may appear for a dog print, though I have t say that to me it's totally characteristic of one, it would be completely deformed were it from a thylacine.
PaulTaylorOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 79
PostPosted: 17-03-2013 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who made this video don't do themselves many favours by comparing the thylacine print. It's not that close. They do themselves more favours by carefully selecting a dog print outline from the wide variety available that looks nothing like the print in the video. I've been sitting looking through a selection of dog prints just now, and apart from it being clear that the one used in the video is hardly typical, it's also clear dog prints vary a great deal. I came across a mastiff hind paw print that looks identical as far as I can see. It's a dog, isn't it? Laughing
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 17-03-2013 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
UrvogelOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 152
PostPosted: 19-03-2013 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordmongrove wrote:

I do know that stuffed thylacines tended to have very badly preserved paws. A guy in the Leeds Natural history museum exlaned that to me as a student. The fet were damaged by the mounting process.

There are a few pickled thylacines in existance. There's one in the Oxford University Museum of Natural History. Their paws should be in perfect condition, bar the smell...
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 19-03-2013 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually they're manky as hell.

http://www.nma.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0003/3837/Preserved_thylacine_nma_img-ci20051343-071_w480.jpg
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 19-03-2013 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Urvogel you're quite right;

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFg7r2T6Au5XqS4_QScQkPUPy_TdRnye55_tZjqFGNa2_o_tXr3jAsRimV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: