Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Crop Circles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
Total posts: 695
PostPosted: 30-07-2011 08:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMPHIARAUS wrote:
skinny wrote:

Didn't realise he'd cut it out already. Shame. It's spectacular.

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2011/rivar/rivar2011a.jpg

Yes if your impressed with people with planks of wood relying on years of practice.

I'm not.

I'm impressed, some of them are works of art, who cares what they are made with.
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
PostPosted: 30-07-2011 08:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
AMPHIARAUS wrote:
Yes if your impressed with people with planks of wood relying on years of practice.

I'm not.

How do these 'plankers' avoid obliterating the tractor tracks?

They don't, the tracks have no crops in them to begin with, so there is nothing to obliterate.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25214
PostPosted: 30-07-2011 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

painy2 wrote:
rynner2 wrote:

They don't, the tracks have no crops in them to begin with, so there is nothing to obliterate.

No, but many patterns rely on sweeping the stalks in one direction (eg,a circular swirl), so they should sweep some into the tractor tracks.
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
PostPosted: 30-07-2011 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
painy2 wrote:
rynner2 wrote:

No, but many patterns rely on sweeping the stalks in one direction (eg,a circular swirl), so they should sweep some into the tractor tracks.

Yes they do you can see from these ground shot that the crops do fall over the tram lines, the aerial shots are just illusions.
Mal_ContentOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 801
PostPosted: 01-08-2011 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

a scientist writes ....

Quote:
Crop circles 'created using GPS, lasers and microwaves'

Crop circles are now made using lasers, microwaves and GPS technology to create ever larger and more elaborate patterns, scientist claims as days of using planks and rope long gone

The mystery of how crop circles are created may have been solved by a scientist who claimed clandestine groups are using lasers, microwaves and GPS technology to create ever larger and more elaborate patterns.
Other theories of how the patterns have appeared over the centuries include freak wind patterns, rolling hedgehogs, copulating couples and, in a 1678 report, the actions of a "mowing devil" Photo: REX

Nick Collins

By Nick Collins, Science Correspondent

7:30AM BST 01 Aug 2011

Crop circles have confounded farmers and scientists alike since they were first recorded in the 17th century, and now physicist Professor Richard Taylor says the phenomenon is growing alongside advances in technology.

The complexity of modern patterns, which can involve up to 2,000 individual and elaborately arranged shapes, suggest that clandestine groups of hoaxers must use sophisticated methods to complete their projects in a single night.

GPS systems enables the artists to cover vast spaces with absolute precision, while microwaves can be used to flatten large numbers of stalks at great speeds, it was claimed.

An analysis of evidence in the Physics World journal reported that researchers had used magnetrons – tubes which use electricity and magnetism to generate intense heat – to mimic the physical changes in flattened stalks in some circles, which are linked to radiation.

Prof Taylor, director of the Materials Science Institute at the University of Oregon, said the findings suggest that crop circle artists may be using magnetrons, found in microwave ovens, or similar technology to complete their detailed patterns in the space of a few hours.

Traditionally planks of wood known as "stompers" and lengths of rope have been used to make accurate patterns in fields, with designers even using bar stools to hop from one flattened section to another.

Other theories of how the patterns appeared over the centuries include freak wind patterns, rolling hedgehogs, copulating couples and, in a 1678 report, the actions of a "mowing devil".

More recently, conspiracy theorists have linked the patterns to UFOs or other alien activity, though some hoaxers have admitted to deliberately imitating flying saucer "nests".

More than 10,000 examples have been documented in the past 500 years, with one new pattern now appearing somewhere in the world every summer evening.

Prof Taylor said: “Crop-circle artists are not going to give up their secrets easily. This summer, unknown artists will venture into the countryside close to your homes and carry out their craft, safe in the knowledge that they are continuing the legacy of the most science-oriented art movement in history.”

Matin Durrani, Editor of Physics World, said: “It may seem odd for a physicist such as Taylor to be studying crop circles, but then he is merely trying to act like any good scientist – examining the evidence for the design and construction of crop circles without getting carried away by the sideshow of UFOs, hoaxes and aliens.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8671207/Crop-circles-created-using-GPS-lasers-and-microwaves.html
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 01-08-2011 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GPS systems enables the artists to cover vast spaces with absolute precision...

According to Wiki

The phase difference error in the normal GPS amounts to 2–3 metres (6.6–9.8 ft) of ambiguity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS

So it's good enough to guide your car into the nearest lake, but not good enough to steer a guided missile down a chimney without 'accuracy enhancement', as is available to the military. (See wiki for more info.)
Mal_ContentOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-08-2011 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner - you wouldn't be suggesting that the military are responsible for cropcircles would you? Smile
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 01-08-2011 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal_Content wrote:
rynner - you wouldn't be suggesting that the military are responsible for cropcircles would you? Smile

I can't tell you that, because then I'd have to kill you... Twisted Evil
GhostisfortOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 770
PostPosted: 06-08-2011 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The, I almost fell off my chair laughing, department.
Quote:

Prof Taylor, director of the Materials Science Institute at the University of Oregon, said the findings suggest that crop circle artists may be using magnetrons, found in microwave ovens, or similar technology to complete their detailed patterns in the space of a few hours.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8671207/Crop-circles-created-using-GPS-lasers-and-microwaves.html
The magnetron is, of course, mounted on a flying platform - a helicopter or maybe a flying saucer? Very Happy
Mal_ContentOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 06-08-2011 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk of microwaves in connection with crop circles is nothing new, it was being discussed 15 years ago IIRC.
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
PostPosted: 06-08-2011 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am still waiting for any concrete proof that these formations are made in a few minutes.

I am convinced that 100% of all crop circles are man made, I live smack bang in the middle of the largest crop circle area in the world. 95% of the stuff they talk about on documentaries is factually inaccurate and damn right false.

The majority of the intricate formations that are made are in fields a long way from the public eye, not near busy roads or flight paths.

One documentary I watched claimed that "military helicopters" turn up over every formation made (which is a total lie), they then showed footage of the helicopter in question, it was the county Police helicopter that photographs them for criminal damage charges if any are ever filed.

Also the area around here is one the largest military training grounds in the country, so seeing military aircraft in the sky is as common as seeing clouds and birds.
mrpoulticeOffline
Wandering the fens..looking at the moon
Total posts: 374
PostPosted: 31-08-2011 09:23    Post subject: Crop circles appear in Northumberland field Reply with quote

Unusual in that the very North East of England, is not natural "croppy" country.

Quote:

Crop circles appear in Northumberland field
SUSPECT markings in a field in Northumberland are causing a stir with villagers, motorists - and one irate landowner.

People driving between Alnwick and Alnmouth are being treated to the unusual sight of four vast crop circles which have appeared in middle of a wheat field off the A1068.

The spectacle has been causing people to pull over and make special trips out to the remote location just so they can study the markings, which have appeared in the past two weeks close to Alndyke Farm.

One villager said: “It was Sunday when I drove past and first saw them.

“Approaching the field they’re visible from quite some distance from the road and there’s been lots of people pulling over to go and see them.

“It’s caused a stir among people living in the area, it’s not something you see every day in places like Northumberland. It is normally places like Wiltshire where you hear about sightings of crop circles, not here.

“RAF Boulmer is just nearby and I’ve heard the helicopters overhead so assume they’re aware of them.

“The largest circle must be more than eight metres wide. Even if it’s just the work of people after the pubs have shut, it’s still pretty impressive to see.”

Since the 1970s increased sightings of crop circles have been reported in numerous countries across the world.

UFO enthusiasts have feverishly speculated that they are caused by aliens trying to communicate with us, though sceptics say they are man-made.

Les Corney, of the group North East Paranormal Investigations, said: “There are those circles which have been proved to be a hoax in other countries. People have admitted to using a standard plank of wood with rope attached at either end. As they walk around on themselves it can create the perfect symmetry.

“However, there are also those that just can’t be explained away and you think there is no way a person has done that. Crop circles often follow people seeing light anomalies in the sky and seem to appear as if overnight.”

While Northumberland’s wheat field pattern is definitely proving a talking point for some, it has been branded the work of vandals by owners of the land, the Duke of Northumberland’s Estates.

A spokesman for the estates said: “Somebody has gone in and tried to make a crop circle on August 19. They have destroyed part of the wheat crop and upset the wildlife. This sort of thing has a serious side effect, it is mild vandalism.”

Source The Journal

Mr P
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

No posts for two years! And I'm not going to post either - I've come across one of these annoying Telegraph articles that can't be copied! Evil or Very Mad

But I can give you the URL:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/10215577/Crop-circles-slammed-as-the-work-of-amateurs-as-their-numbers-plummet.html

Basically, crop circles are degenerating into 'crap circles'! Twisted Evil
Ringo_Offline
Sanitised for your protection
Total posts: 1129
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Quote:
GPS systems enables the artists to cover vast spaces with absolute precision...

According to Wiki

The phase difference error in the normal GPS amounts to 2–3 metres (6.6–9.8 ft) of ambiguity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS

So it's good enough to guide your car into the nearest lake, but not good enough to steer a guided missile down a chimney without 'accuracy enhancement', as is available to the military. (See wiki for more info.)

I thought the same thing. I use various commercially available GPS devices to navigate through Forests and open terrain. Some more expensive than others. They are only accurate to+/- 2-5 metres or so, even when using 5 satellites.
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10445
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody told me that the military can get greater precision from the GPS system, accurate down to the nearest 1 metre. Of course, the rest of us have GPS units that won't allow us to get that amount of precision...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: