Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Looking for a particular Ghost Ship Account

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 724
PostPosted: 22-09-2013 17:35    Post subject: Looking for a particular Ghost Ship Account Reply with quote

Fellow Forteans, I'm searching for a very specific account, about a captain who actually boards a ghost ship, which I've only read once and, for the life of me, I can not remember which book I read it in.

Here's what I know:

This was supposed to be a "true" account.

It may have been a whole book about ghost ships (or possibly just a chapter; helpful, I know)

I believe this incident happened on the Great Lakes (likely Lake Michigan or Superior)

In it, the captain of a vessel sees a ghost ship which he thinks is a ship in distress, most of the crew won't board, but several get into a smaller boat with him and approach the vessel.

I believe he was the only one to actually board the ship.

He was given a dire warning from the crew to leave before he got stuck with them/became one of them/something like that.

I've never read anything like this in any other book. This appears to be a unique instance.

Any thoughts on where I might have read this? It may have been a book specifically about ghost ships of the Great Lakes, but, honestly, there are so damned many of them that I find the process of figuring it out rather daunting.

All help is appreciated.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9794
PostPosted: 22-09-2013 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like Pirates of the Caribbean.
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
PostPosted: 22-09-2013 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, this book is a lot older than the movie.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9794
PostPosted: 22-09-2013 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

MercuryCrest wrote:
If I recall correctly, this book is a lot older than the movie.

I was merely observing a parallel, not suggesting one was derived from the other.
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1542
PostPosted: 22-09-2013 19:02    Post subject: Re: Looking for a particular Ghost Ship Account Reply with quote

MercuryCrest wrote:

... He was given a dire warning from the crew to leave before he got stuck with them/became one of them/something like that. ...

Wait a minute ... Are you saying this was a 'ghost ship' that still had a crew on board?
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13231
PostPosted: 22-09-2013 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a plague-ridden ship by any chance?
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
PostPosted: 22-09-2013 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Myth: Sorry, just wanted to be clear. I could see a newbie on this board saying that and everyone chiming in that they were mis-remembering the movie. Very Happy

@Enola: From what I remember, this was kind of a phantom ship or something. Not like the typical abandoned ship that gets labeled "ghost ship" just because it doesn't have anyone on board.

EDIT:

@gncxx: No, I don't think so. I wish I remembered more, but my impression was that this ship had disappeared years previous and appeared every so often at random. The interaction betwixt the captain and the "ghost" crew was fascinating, but I can't remember the exact exchange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: