Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Electronic Voice Phenomena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14889
PostPosted: 26-03-2013 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it? I especially liked the Winston Churchill clip where he says his name, even if it didn't sound completely like him it was a great find. Not sure about the bloke who makes words by playing dogs barking forwards and backwards, there's a lot of the Rorshach test about it as they say. Except with sound, obviously.
kaisenOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 22-07-2013 15:34    Post subject: Is anyone asking the obvious questions? Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been covered before but I have a few questions concerning EVP.

Is there any research where the person asking the questions tried to ascertain if the voices are from actual identifiable dead people? Are they being asked are they dead, how they died, what existence is like for them currently?

I've read a lot about people hearing snatches of words but it all seems to be very vague.
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1292
PostPosted: 22-07-2013 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ashinternational.com/editions/affiliated_editions/parc_cd1_the_ghost_orchid_an_introduction_to_evp.html

The Ghost Orchid CD seems to be the most comprehensive collection of EVP available.

Also, have a gander at the ASSAP site, they have some good articles about it:

http://www.assap.ac.uk/

Smile
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14889
PostPosted: 22-07-2013 18:55    Post subject: Re: Is anyone asking the obvious questions? Reply with quote

kaisen wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before but I have a few questions concerning EVP.

Is there any research where the person asking the questions tried to ascertain if the voices are from actual identifiable dead people? Are they being asked are they dead, how they died, what existence is like for them currently?

I've read a lot about people hearing snatches of words but it all seems to be very vague.

From what I've read/heard, the answers to direct questions are pretty vague, stuff like "We are on the death ship" and so on, and as a whole the phenomenon can be fuzzy-sounding enough to sound like anything you want. The Winston Churchill messages mentioned above are a case in point: very convincing if you want to believe, stray radio signals that sound nothing like the old fellow if you don't.
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1292
PostPosted: 22-07-2013 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a Faraday cage. Smile
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6265
PostPosted: 25-10-2013 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

A paper here from Anabela Cardoso who seems to be among the most active living advocates of EVP.

I see that the BBC documentary (see above) did not rate her recordings very highly. Confused
kmosselOffline
Give in
Total posts: 101
PostPosted: 28-10-2013 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Huffington Post (of all places) has an article about a team from a specialty acoustics equipment company accidentally recording what seems to be EVP: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/acoustic-archives-ghosts_n_4159324.html

The article includes actual sound clips, so you can decide for yourself if it's a publicity stunt or something more compelling.

Quote:
These May Be The Sounds Of Ghosts In An Abandoned Insane Asylum

When Ryan Schimmenti, Mesta Bish, Vito Finamore and Eric Farahani played back their first recording of the abandoned Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, they couldn't believe what they were hearing. An out-of-tune piano, being played in a building where no piano was to be found. The voice of a little girl, talking to someone in an asylum that's been closed since 1994.

"I've never actually heard anything in real-time that sounds funky," said Schimmenti.

Calling themselves Acoustic Archives, Schimmenti and his team travel the United States recording the sound of abandoned buildings. Specifically, they enter spaces and use a technique called convolution reverb to record and preserve the building's "audio imprint."

"Humans hear from 20 hertz to 20 kilohertz. So you take that frequency sweep, play it from a speaker at a pretty decent volume and record it. And you take that sound, plug it into a variety of different programs, and then you can replicate the sound of that room."

These replications of certain places' sounds, called "plug-ins," can then be used by musical artists and audio engineers to create unique recording effects: An amateur singer with the right plug-in can sound like she's singing in the Sydney Opera House -- or, with one of the plug-ins made by Acoustic Archives, like she's singing inside an abandoned mental asylum.

The Huffington Post got a chance to interview Schimmenti just in time for Halloween.

So, first off -- what's your take on the ghost noises you recorded at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum?

You know, I don’t believe in ghosts. I’m an atheist. But we picked up some stuff that was just absolutely some of the strangest sh*t I’ve ever seen ... People whispering, a little girl's voice, somebody playing a piano in a 5000-square-foot building that doesn’t have a piano. You know, really bizarre stuff.

How did you and your team get onto archiving the acoustics of abandoned buildings?

It started back in April. Mesta and Vito were working on a record together [Kaley Victoria Rose's "The Garden And The Liddle Girl"] and they wanted to work in an asylum because the record they were working on was an experimental record based on mental illness and a girl losing her mind. They asked [me and Eric] to come along and help, and I thought it was a kooky idea -- we were going to drive all the way to West Virginia to record the tonal qualities of an abandoned mental hospital. I thought this was crazy. So that’s how the whole thing started.
titchagainOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 114
PostPosted: 28-10-2013 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

very unimpressive in my view
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18736
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is rum: is Robin Williams really communicating from beyond?

'Robin Williams' speaks via EVP

Quote:
Messages from Robin Williams? Maybe, hear it for yourself.

I have been a huge Robin Williams fan for most of my whole life. I grew up with Robin’s TV show (Mork and Mindy) and all of his movies, yep, I have seen them all.

I love “The World According to Garp” and “What Dreams May Come” the most but I really enjoyed all of his work.

The day he passed was a sad day indeed. Later in that day I was doing a spirit box session and heard his voice come through after I asked for him. For the following week I was able to connect with, what I feel, is the spirit of Robin.

Of course, it may not be but some of this REALLY sounds like him, and the last message I was able to receive about the light and being with his Dad was very emotional for me when it came in. After that last message nothing else came in.

That was it and for me it sounds like he has crossed over, and I feel 100% that he has.

It was funny because as I was doing the last session when the “light” message came in I instantly smelled ONION in my room. No idea why or where it came from but it was strong. Have no idea if Robin loved Onions or what but it was there.

This video is a compilation of the messages that I feel COULD be Robin, all recorded during the week after his death.

Shocked
hunckOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 158
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's convinced me.

But seriously, he says he was "doing a spirit box session". Does anyone have a clue what equipment this involves & how the 'voices' are recorded?

The recordings are of miniscule length and feature various background sounds. One one it sounds like there is a drum machine playing. If someone told me they'd captured these by tuning in to random radio stations I would not be overly surprised.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10635
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunck wrote:

But seriously, he says he was "doing a spirit box session". Does anyone have a clue what equipment this involves & how the 'voices' are recorded?

http://produit.bienmanger.com/11129-0w300h300__Gift_Box_Assorted_Spirits.jpg
Ringo_Offline
Sanitised for your protection
Total posts: 1133
PostPosted: 27-08-2014 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunck wrote:

The recordings are of miniscule length and feature various background sounds. One one it sounds like there is a drum machine playing. If someone told me they'd captured these by tuning in to random radio stations I would not be overly surprised.

I believe that a Spirit Box is basically a radio scanner and speaker built into one unit. It scans through all available radio frequencies and plays them all back in short, quick, random snippets so that the cacophony of sound can be interpreted.

The theory being that the spirits can use the radio waves as carrier waves to send messages. I have always maintained that this is bullshit of the highest order and that you will hear something purely because that is what the brain does. After all, the companies that make these things want to sell them. If people didn't hear anything then they wouldn't sell many.
hunckOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 158
PostPosted: 27-08-2014 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

What utter arsewipe. But 'spirit box' sounds so much better and more spiritual than 'random radio' recordings.

On the other hand maybe Robin Williams in the afterlife has taken up rapping and hence the drum machine...
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18736
PostPosted: 27-08-2014 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does say at the end 'I'm dead.' So It's definite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: