Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Leeds shopkeeper stunned at ‘WW1 ghost’ snap
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26164
PostPosted: 16-10-2013 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spookdaddy wrote:
However, the little bit of research that I can actually claim as my own indicates that the insignia halfway down the soldier's right sleeve - which looks a little bit like a butterfly in the photograph - is that of the Australian Wireless Squadron (see here), which is the unit the SLQ archives indicate that David James Garland served in.

Excellent stuff, Spookdaddy! That, and the 'The Village Ghost Walk' info, convinces me.

No wonder I get more sceptical as I get older. The Skeptical Inquirer will love this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptical_Inquirer

(Oh well, it was fun while it lasted... Sad )
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1878
PostPosted: 16-10-2013 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course all of this is great publicity for the card shop. I can't blame the shopkeeper for courting it.

What kind of name is Friend anyway?
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 17-10-2013 08:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

liveinabin1 wrote:
And of course all of this is great publicity for the card shop. I can't blame the shopkeeper for courting it.

What kind of name is Friend anyway?

One thing they got right was the name, unit and regiment - there is a Friend Peel listed on the Farsley War Memorial.

Quote:

You're right - and busting it is really just a bit of fun too; although, someone lifting a name from a local war memorial as part of an act of promotion leaves a bit of an odd taste in the mouth.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1868
PostPosted: 17-10-2013 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good research there... I was debating cycling up there over the weekend and having a recky, but it looks like you've done everything over t'internet! Laughing
dazza1113Offline
Grey
Total posts: 1
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 07:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live less than a mile away so I might see if there's anything obvious opposite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: