Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ghost of White Hart Inn (Edinburgh) - caught on camera?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginjabadjaOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 71
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 18:48    Post subject: Ghost of White Hart Inn (Edinburgh) - caught on camera? Reply with quote

Link here: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/has-ghost-of-white-hart-inn-been-caught-on-camera-1-3180378

Has ghost of White Hart Inn been caught on camera?

IT is believed to be Edinburgh’s most haunted pub, with more spooky spectres than there are spirits behind the bar.

Now staff at the Grassmarket’s White Hart Inn have what they believe is a photo of a troublemaking ghost, captured by a family of Australian ?tourists.

It shows what staff claim is a ghostly female apparition near the venue’s main bar.

The spooky snap is believed to be a girl in a red dress who haunts the bar, a spectral hand visible at her side.

Such has been the ?excitement over the image, a ghost-chasing film crew has asked to spend a night locked inside the pub in a bid to capture unmistakable proof of the afterlife on camera.

Inn manager Michael Johnson, a self-proclaimed sceptic, said the couple’s daughter took the holiday snap about eight weeks ago on a night out.

Mr Johnson said he remembers the night well as he had been giving the pleasant couple “jip about the rugby”.

He said: “They were about the second last group to leave and they pulled on my shirt and said ‘look at this’.

“They’d looked through the photos and seen something a bit strange. She pulled it up on us and that’s when I knew it wasn’t a hoax. She couldn’t have done any computer graphics because she was still in the pub.”

Mr Johnson said research carried out since the photo’s discovery had uncovered an unverified drawing of a prostitute dressed in red who is believed to have frequented the pub during the 1800s and been killed on the premises.

The White Hart Inn is central Edinburgh’s oldest pub, with the cellar dating back to 1516.

Poet Robert Burns is rumoured to have stayed there on his final visit to the Capital in 1791.

According to popular myth, Edinburgh’s notorious murdering duo William Burke and William Hare are supposed to have enticed several fellow drinkers away from the old pub to kill them at their nearby lodgings before selling the corpses.

Mr Johnson said of ?unexplained happenings at the inn: “A girl claimed her hair got pulled while she was changing a barrel. We’ve had a chutney bottle thrown at one of the staff. Two of the girls were working one night and the music stopped. They went downstairs and all the wires had been pulled out.

“We had a guy that came and did an audit and he could hear barrels moving. We’ve also had complaints about people being downstairs counting money and they could hear people walking upstairs despite the pub being shut.”

Scottish Ghost Adventures, a new production company started by investigator and senior producer Mark Connor, now wants to spend a night at the inn.

Mr Connor said: “Because of where it’s come from with the elderly couple and them being blasé about it, it’s obviously not something that’s been done through Photoshop.

“The most striking thing about the picture is how vibrant it is.

“With the hand being there, we’ve enlarged that and we can’t see any manipulation.”

dale.miller@edinburghnews.com
Friday November 08 2013

And the image...

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/webimage/1.3180377.1383923431!/image/1367961404.jpg_gen/derivatives/articleImgDeriv_628px/1367961404.jpg
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5751
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once we have attributed the hand to the bloke standing at the bar, the dress is just a light painting of uncertain cause.

It sweeps across the scene in a straight line. Could it be car headlamps passing outside or perhaps some flashing and revolving light in the venue itself?

It's also a bit of an odd snap that no one has posed for except the "ghost."

If there is a market for middle-aged arses at bars photos, I will pose for spirits! Smile
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13225
PostPosted: 10-11-2013 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmistakable proof of someone walking quickly past a poor quality camera?
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
PostPosted: 10-11-2013 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be a slightly drunk dalek, come to think of it. Shocked
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26559
PostPosted: 10-11-2013 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesWhitehead wrote:
Once we have attributed the hand to the bloke standing at the bar, the dress is just a light painting of uncertain cause.

The hand's at the wrong angle, and too low, to belong to the bloke at the bar (unless he has arms like a chimpanzee! Wink )
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
PostPosted: 10-11-2013 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don't have arms like a chimp though I may be a bit short in the trunk. My hand could certainly rest below my buttock. I'm also fairly sure it is a left hand we see with the thumb extended towards us like a lump.

Blowing up the picture, I see a curious black rectangle which connects the barmaid's shoulder to the bloke's. It takes a slice out of his shoulder and this tends to make the angle seem more awkward. Question
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13719
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 00:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a right foot.
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 293
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 09:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesWhitehead wrote:

It sweeps across the scene in a straight line. Could it be car headlamps passing outside or perhaps some flashing and revolving light in the venue itself?

It's also a bit of an odd snap that no one has posed for except the "ghost."

If there is a market for middle-aged arses at bars photos, I will pose for spirits! Smile

The first thing I thought was that there appears to be no reason for this picture to have been taken, but it does look like it was taken on purpose. Maybe there is a market for pictures of middle aged arses at bars. I daren't google it though. Shocked
It seems to me that many 'ghost pictures' appear to have been taken for no reason, ie no obvious subject. Maybe that in itself is Fortean?
MonstrosaOffline
Total posts: 634
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the comments
Quote:
ScotsBhoy
7:37 PM on 08/11/2013
Just to clarify any misunderstanding, firstly, the printed picture has been zoomed/enlarged to isolate the 'lady in red' (I've been fortunate enough to have seen the original), and is why you only see the bar, and secondly, the capture was taken digitally, so no double exposure would've been possible and lastly, having seen the original photo I know everything else is within perspective depth of field and focus.
liveinabin1Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1880
PostPosted: 13-11-2013 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a cheap camera and low lighting leading to a fast shutter ahead with someone walking past. No ghost.

NEXT
liveinabin1Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1880
PostPosted: 13-11-2013 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I'm quite sure the hand doesn't belong to the man with a green top.
Just look at how he is leaning. Would you lean against a bar like that with your hand behind you at an unusual angle? He is using his left arm to lean against the bar as can be seen by his arm which is leading on the bar.
milk23Offline
will ye parlez??
Total posts: 312
PostPosted: 26-01-2014 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first thing I thought was that there appears to be no reason for this picture to have been taken, but it does look like it was taken on purpose

I love this forum
ginjabadjaOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 28-02-2014 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow on from the original news story I posted about the White Hart Inn ghost. A paranormal investigation has occurred as reported in the local paper (Feb 17th 2014 edition): http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/ghostbusters-record-spirits-at-haunted-pub-1-3309191

And the text:
Quote:
PARANORMAL investigations of central Edinburgh’s oldest pub have uncovered further spooky shenanigans after a ghostly presence was caught on camera.

Scottish Ghost Adventurers spent a night at The White Hart Inn in the Grassmarket after being spurred into action by a picture taken by Aussie tourist which appeared to show an apparition among the regulars at the bar. The results of their investigation have now been posted on YouTube.

Bar manager and self-proclaimed sceptic Michael Johnson, 31, said: “I was in on the night the picture was taken and I do find it hard to explain. When I first started here I just laughed off the stories, but things seem to keep happening. An American tourist a couple of weeks ago came tearing out of the toilets saying that something grabbed his shoulder, one of the barmaids had her hair pulled while changing a barrel, people often hear footsteps upstairs after the bar is closed and our cleaner says he will leave if he has one more strange encounter.

“The Scottish Ghost Adventurers set up a lot of equipment downstairs in the oldest part of the building, including an Electronic Voice Phenomenon machine, which seems to have picked up a voice saying “Help me, help me” and then something about a baby. I was upstairs with them the entire time, so I know they didn’t do that themselves.”

Research carried out since the photo’s discovery had uncovered an unverified drawing of a prostitute dressed in red who is believed to have been killed on the premises during the 1800s.

Colin Connor, 40, lead investigator with Scottish Ghost Adventurers, said: “It seems to me that they are seeing the effects of both an intelligent haunting, which is able to interact with people and objects, and a residual haunting, which is usually the result of some traumatic event, such as a murder, which took place on the premises. Intelligent hauntings are often spirits that are scared to cross over, perhaps because of things they did while they were alive, but a medium would be able to help them move on. However, a residual haunting, like the apparition caught in the picture, is something that is likely to simply repeat over and over.”

However, with the picture causing asurge in interest in the Inn, which was already featured in a 2003 BBC documentary on hauntings, help could be at hand.

Spiritualists from The Arthur Conan Doyle Centre are to revisit the bar soon to continue with their own investigation. Chairman Ann Treherne said: “We will be accompanied by mediums who will be able to help any spirits within the premises to move on.”
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 28-02-2014 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! EVP! Admittedly, it took me a little while to cotton on and they did have to prompt with inter-titles. But, once you hear it... Shocked
ginjabadjaOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 01-03-2014 08:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
Ooh! EVP! Admittedly, it took me a little while to cotton on and they did have to prompt with inter-titles. But, once you hear it... Shocked

I know what you mean about EVP, Pietro. I usually can only make out what's being said when prompted by subtitles or the accompanying text too. I'm a little on the fence between it being genuine vocalisation and a form of pareidolia.

Irrespective of the clarity, however, something has to be generating the noise ... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: