Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Perception and has it improved?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 3240
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to think Ancient People were less intelligent than we are today but I think that's down to less factual information to work with. After all, Eratosthenes accurately calculated the circumference of the earth.
As Pietro has pointed out, the Trompe l'oeil perspective technique was used in temples and villas at the time so they had a grasp of perspective and confidently played around with it.

Going further back, we see how Ancient Egyptians filled the walls with stylistic heiroglyphs but were capable of producing likenesses like this...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01376/NEFERTITI-FACE_1376048a.jpg

And while we may consider the Middle Ages iconography a little crude, Durer's Young Hare shows how realistically they studied life.

I've already mentioned the realism of Greek and Roman statues and busts and their creators must have used sketches before committing to these and as I say, the luxury of time (and life expectancy) to develop a skill plays a crucial part.
When we're looking at drawings from antiquity, we're seeing stylisation in many cases and not primitive naivety.

That's my two penn'orth.

edit.... Oh...as for Homer's description of the 'wine-dark sea'...
That could also be a colloquial reference to the effects of having too much to drink and staggering around on board a ship like a drunk. Probably not, but it's possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: