Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Smell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1027
PostPosted: 02-12-2013 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this in the past, as I work with someone who often smells badly of BO. Would I have even noticed it if I was working with him, say, 100 years ago?

Also, I remember as a kid we only had one bath a week, on Sunday night, ready for the week of school ahead. I was shocked to hear school pals talking about having a shower each morning! It seemed like a real waste of sleep time to the 8 year old me. Laughing
RyoHazukiOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 86
PostPosted: 02-12-2013 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a primary school teacher who actually sprays the more 'fragrant' children in her class with Febreeze. Probably saves the parents money on detergent, too.
liveinabin1Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1880
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with very young, 4 - 5 year old, children in an area with some serious deprivation. I can honestly say that I have never had a child in my class who smelt bad. The might have mucky clothes on, but as said above, some children can leave home pristine and arrive at school looking a mess.

Those approaching their teenage years at the top of the school create a dreadful stink. Not on their own, but a collective fug left in the room after them.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9793
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

liveinabin1 wrote:
Those approaching their teenage years at the top of the school create a dreadful stink. Not on their own, but a collective fug left in the room after them.

Mostly hormones, I think.
I remember when I trained 16-18 year olds back in the 80s, there was one lad who smelt particularly bad. When he'd left a room, you'd know he'd been there earlier.
He stank the whole training centre out on a few occasions, with a smell like a stale burger.
He never looked filthy, although he was quite spotty and greasy.
Boss had a quiet word with him about it, and he finally explained that he was on a course of testosterone because he wasn't 'developing'.
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1838
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

An acquaintance of mine once had a summer job on a crew repairing hiking trails in the Appalachian mountains – removing fallen trees, repairing erosion. They backpacked for 3 weeks at a time, food and mail were brought in to them every few days on horseback. It was hot and humid. As they had to carry everything on their backs they brought few changes of clothes. They could bathe in a sense in the occasional stream – soap being prohibited - but mostly they just reeked. They got quite used to themselves. But when normal hikers passed by they smelled very strongly and unpleasantly of soap, laundry detergent, and various chemical residues.
GwenarOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 88
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamSundog wrote:
An acquaintance of mine once had a summer job on a crew repairing hiking trails in the Appalachian mountains – removing fallen trees, repairing erosion. They backpacked for 3 weeks at a time, food and mail were brought in to them every few days on horseback. It was hot and humid. As they had to carry everything on their backs they brought few changes of clothes. They could bathe in a sense in the occasional stream – soap being prohibited - but mostly they just reeked. They got quite used to themselves. But when normal hikers passed by they smelled very strongly and unpleasantly of soap, laundry detergent, and various chemical residues.

Yes! I didn't wear deodorant when I was in High School. It sounds gross, but I didn't need it. As proof, I was asked out all the time and as quiet as I was, was literally never without people wanting to hang out with me. I found it bewildering, and now I believe it was pheromones. I smelled like a human teenage girl.

But I hated, just hated, getting on the bus morning. It smelled so strongly of hairspray, soap, deodorant and perfume. It was sickening.
rjmrjmrjmOffline
Professional Surrealist
Total posts: 1385
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 00:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for the italian train conductor who had to enter our compartment when we went Inter-Railing. Six nineteen year old lads who had been camping, sleeping on trains and living off beer and cheap food for weeks couldn't have been very pleasant.
UrvogelOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 151
PostPosted: 08-12-2013 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:
It must have been a problem for them.
The first mention of the Pomander appears in the 13th century.

Maybe people carried them around just because they liked the smell, rather than covering up an existing bad one? The smell of citrus/lavender/rose etc is bound to smell nicer than just the regular air, maybe drowning out bad smells was just an added bonus.

Gwenar wrote:
Have modern noses become so sensitive that they can't stomach the scent of toddlers?

As horrible as it sounds you can always tell if someone has young children. The parents have a certain...musk about them. Same with houses really, even if a house has been cleaned from top to toe you can always tell if children live there. It's like it's seeped into the walls. The smell that is, not the children. If children are seeping into your walls you have whole lot worse of a problem...
AsamiYamazakiOffline
I was Dora Suarez
Total posts: 380
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed pomanders were more to overpower the smell of poo etc. bearing in mind it all got chucked into the street. And to ward off miasma maybe. Not because they smelled nice. I think people had more to worry about than carrying mobile pot pourri.

When I was at first school we had a couple of very stinky children in our class - they'd always get called fleabags. I wonder if teachers nowadays make a point of cleanliness to help reduce cases of bullying. If a child is very neglected or there are serious problems at home, then I imagine hygiene and smell could be a big problem.

I've never noticed houses with young children smelling.
GwenarOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 88
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought medieval pomanders were plague preventatives. You know, because plague is carried on currents of evil air or miasma. Then I started reading the Father Athelston mystery series and the author describes people using them to ward off the smell of open, street level sewers. I don't know how carefully he researched them.

As far as parents being more careful with hygiene today, I think it's a mixed bag. We have so many households with both parents working, and some just get tired of the daily argument. You can lead your children to water, but you can't make them use soap and toothpaste.
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1838
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Me either, unless there's a diaper pail that needs attending to.

On the other hand, I now have several teenage boys in the house and often several teammates staying over, and getting back to Call of Duty consistently takes priority over putting their sports gear in the laundry hamper.
UrvogelOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 151
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamSundog wrote:
Quote:

Me either, unless there's a diaper pail that needs attending to.

I don't mean a stinky smell, more that it's a smell of children. I dunno how to describe it, but it's a certain scent or musk.

I'm now starting to worry that I'm sounding like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Band Bang Shocked "Children, I smell children..."
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 08:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urvogel wrote:
...I'm now starting to worry that I'm sounding like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Band Bang Shocked "Children, I smell children..."

I always put mustard on them - covers a multitude of sins.
sherbetbizarreOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1823
PostPosted: 17-01-2014 00:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
World’s Dirtiest Man: 80-Year-Old Iranian Man Hasn’t Bathed in 60 Years

80-year-old Haji believes that “cleanliness brings him sickness.” That’s why he hasn’t bathed at all in the past 60 years. He lives in isolation in Dejgah village, in the Southern Iranian province of Fars.

Haji hates contact with water. Even the suggestion of a bath makes him very angry. And all these years of escaping bath time have taken their toll – Haji is almost the color of earth. He has managed to completely blend in with his surroundings. In fact, it’s easy to mistake him for a rock statue if he sits very still.

It’s not just bathing that Haji dislikes. His disgust for fresh food and clean drinking water is unmistakable. Instead, he prefers his favorite meal of rotten porcupine meat. He drinks 5 liters of water a day for health purposes, but only from a large rusty oil can. He likes to fill his smoking pipe with animal feces instead of tobacco. To trim his hair he doesn’t use clippers; he just burns it off over an open flame. An old war helmet keeps his head warm during the winter.

Haji doesn’t really have a house – the earth is his home. He lives in a hole in the ground, much like a grave, to keep him grounded and in touch with the reality of life. Sometimes he sleeps in an open brick shack that the villagers constructed for him out of pity. Locally, he is known as Amou Haji. ‘Amou’ is the Farsi term of endearment for a kind old man.

Makes you think about what’s really important in life, doesn’t it?

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/worlds-dirtiest-man-80-year-old-iranian-man-hasnt-bathed-in-60-years.html
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9793
PostPosted: 17-01-2014 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, this regime has helped him live a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: