Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The rich are different
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyblair11
My shoes hurt
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 03:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought rehab was for substance abuse. They probably didn't take him because he killed someone with a violent physical attack that didn't involve alcohol. Not because they were racist or classist or whatever blind label you may apply. Confused Confused
GwenarOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 88
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Residential rehab programs for minors in the US can also be for young people with problematic behavior. The various methods used could probably make a whole other thread.

The 14 year black teenager didn't intend to kill anyone either, anymore than Ethan Couch did. It was a punch, not a beating, so, I don't think that "violent physical attack" is quite the right description. It was stupid, it was cruel, and he was 14 - the age of stupid cruelty.

In the comparison, Ethan Couch's family could afford private 'rehab' where your cleared check is your application, and the black teenager's family could not. So, the black teen goes to jail, and Ethan goes to a spa.

Tonyblair, we are a very classist and racist society here in the US. It's only been maybe 15 years or so that the news stopped using overtly racist tones in reporting crime. Fourteen year old black males who committed crimes were "men". Fourteen year old white males who committed crimes were "boys". The implication being that one group was dangerous and set in their ways, while they other needed help and guidance.

I could go on and on with examples more current than that, but I won't.

(edited for comprehension - 2nd paragraph)
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18742
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut feeling is that someone who can run over and kill four people at that young age is going to pay heavily, sooner rather than later.

Like karma, except that there's nothing magical or mystical about it. Rather, with few boundaries their lives will become more chaotic until they eventually end up dead or as good as.

Not wishing it on them or anything, just an observation. People need to be told 'no' for their own good.
tonyblair11
My shoes hurt
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 02:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all the same race. Get over it. yeay yeay yeay
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1775
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 07:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyblair11 wrote:
We are all the same race. Get over it. yeay yeay yeay

Well. yes. That is a patently obvious fact. We can all breed with each other and nothing else.

But a lot of people neither accept it or have gotten over it. Humans have a tremendous ability to ignore facts they find distasteful, while at the same time disguising opinion, statistics or other imposters as facts.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11948
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 07:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud the sentiment (who wouldn't?) but it's more than a little trite. There is still a brand of racism that obsesses about skin pigmentation, but that isn't really the one that causes major problems; more damagingly, a great number see colour as a marker for culture, a handy short-cut to prejudice, and while 'we are all the same' may be more or less true biologically, five minutes in front of the international news should disabuse you of the notion that we share a human culture. A more helpful slogan might be 'It's ok to be different', which it is if an accepted field of boundaries can be established.

The judge sentencing the black and white youths differently isn't working on the level of pigmentation, he or she is using it to make an assumption that they are different culturally and individually - which may or may not be true - but in America and the West in general this arrives with a concomitant assumption that the black version is inferior - that's the problem.
GwenarOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 88
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said, Yithian.

When thinking of US race relations, it's important to remember how insidious the language is, because slave owners were trying to defend their slave habit to themselves. And, after slavery ended, their right to cheap black labor.

These apologetics have been tough to shake because some of it is subtle. Think of how a horror writer can convey that a person is threatening or subhuman without really coming out and saying it.

Tonyblair, if you're at all interested in US race relations, I'd recommend "The Warmth of Other Suns". It's a surprisingly easy read for nonfiction and might help you understand why we haven't just "gotten over it." The wounds in our culture are very deep.
tonyblair11
My shoes hurt
PostPosted: 17-12-2013 03:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

A majority of our people are over it. It's a sexy topic to the media and politicians that is why a handful of isolated events get glorified and shoved down our throats constantly. I am not saying racism does not exist here but that it is not anywhere near the institute of oppression that used to exist.

And why do you keep saying that I am not a part of "your" culture? I was born here and have been a Hoosier my whole life. I look very much like a mixed breed so I've have received BS for being whatever race the accuser thinks I am. tongue
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25717
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas teenager suffering 'affluenza' avoids jail for second time
Ethan Couch, who killed four people while drunk driving, ordered only to attend rehab centre despite anger of victims' families
Tom Dart in Houston
theguardian.com, Thursday 6 February 2014 03.20 GMT

The Texas teenager who avoided prison after a psychologist described him as suffering from "affluenza" has been ordered by a judge to attend an undisclosed rehabilitation facility.

Ethan Couch was given ten years' probation last December for killing four people and seriously injuring two while driving drunk. On Wednesday, district judge Jean Boyd again did not issue any jail time and assigned him to the centre in a court hearing that was closed to the media.

The sentence handed out by Boyd last year outraged the victims' families and the case attracted national attention after a psychologist called by the defence testified that the teenager had "affluenza", indicating that his behavioural problems were influenced by a troubled upbringing in a wealthy family where privilege prevented him from grasping the consequences of his actions.

Critics said the outcome was an egregious example of a justice system that treats the rich and the poor differently.

A statement from the Tarrant County district attorney's office said that the judge "ordered the teen be placed in a lock-down residential treatment facility, where he will remain for an undisclosed period. She ordered his parents to pay for the cost of his treatment."

As a condition of his probation, the teen is not allowed to drive and must refrain from any alcohol and drug use, among other things. If he violates any condition of his probation over the next ten years, he could be sentenced to up to ten years behind bars."

Prosecutors had originally asked Boyd to sentence Couch to 20 years' detention, while his lawyers recommended his parents pay for him to seek therapy at a $450,000-a-year rehabilitation facility in California.

Wednesday's hearing was scheduled after prosecutors once more tried to argue he should go to prison, this time as punishment for charges related to the two injured people.

Couch, from Keller, near Fort Worth, admitted four counts of intoxication manslaughter. He was speeding last June when he lost control of his Ford F-350 pick-up truck, swerved off a suburban road and ploughed at up to 70 mph into a group of people who were helping Breanna Mitchell, whose car had broken down.

Mitchell, a youth pastor named Brian Jennings, Hollie Boyles, and her daughter, Shelby, were killed.

Couch had seven passengers. Two were riding in the bed of the truck and were seriously injured. One is paralysed and unable to speak. The other suffered broken bones and internal injuries.

Lawsuits seeking damages from Couch and his family have been filed by several of the victims' relatives.

Aged 16 at the time, Couch's blood alcohol level was three times the adult legal limit and there were traces of Valium and other drugs in his system, according to prosecutors, who said the group had stolen beer from a Walmart.

"Money always seems to keep [him] out of trouble. Ultimately today, I felt that money did prevail," Eric Boyles, husband to Hollie and father of Shelby, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram after the trial.

The psychologist, G Dick Miller, told CNN he wished he "hadn't used that term. Everyone seems to have hooked on to it. We used to call these people spoiled brats."

"Affluenza" is not a condition recognised by the American Psychiatric Association. The term was coined as far back as the 1950s and popularised in the late 1990s, when it referred to the stress caused by obsessive consumerism.

Last month, Mike Gatto, a California assemblyman, proposed a bill banning the "affluenza defence" from being used in the state's courts. "I just think it really is one of those times where unless we're proactive it could become something that's far more common," he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/06/texas-teenager-affluenza-escapes-jail-second-time
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1294
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had they been black and poor, what would the sentence have been?
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 6063
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that cost the taxpayer money and their parents nothing?
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kondoru wrote:
Something that cost the taxpayer money and their parents nothing?

One of the most depressingly awful posts I've ever read here.
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 6063
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was meant to be. Im working on my cynicism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: