Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Lone Coastguard!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 153, 154, 155  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25896
PostPosted: 17-12-2013 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sea is not the only danger - heavy machinery on vessels large and small is also a danger:

Esso fined £100,000 over Fawley sailor death

Esso has been fined £100,000 after health and safety failings led to a ship's worker being crushed to death under a fuel hose.
Juan Romero, 40, died when a corroded bolt caused the pipe and its crane to collapse on him at Fawley marine terminal, Southampton in August 2008.
Mr Romero, from Honduras, was a seaman working onboard a docked ship.

Esso, which admitted breaching health and safety offences, was also ordered to pay £50,000 in costs.
Bournemouth-based Austin & McLean Ltd, hired by Esso to maintain the steel crane supporting the fuel hose, was also fined for breaching health and safety regulations.
The company was fined £60,000 with £30,000 in costs after the Winchester Crown Court trial on Monday.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said the incident was "wholly avoidable".

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-25412412

But how come this case has taken 5 years to get to court?

I was almost the victim of a similar accident when I worked for a few months on a 40' fishing vessel in Essex. We were preparing to shoot the trawl when there was a large 'Bang!', and a heavy piece of steel holding the blocks for the towing wires crashed to the deck, only inches from where I was standing, but missing me completely.

That was the result of a an old and rusted shackle failing under load. But clearly my number was not up that day, and all we lost was a day's fishing.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 17-12-2013 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning as white waxy substance washes up on Cornish beach again - Dog dies
4:20pm Monday 16th December 2013 in News

Parents are warned to keep children and animals away from a white waxy substance after it washed up on Polzeath beach.
The latest pollution comes after reports of white and yellow waxy substances being washed up on a number of South Cornwall beaches in October.

Cornwall Council said it was informed of the incident following the death of a dog on December 11 and "immediately" erected warning signs on the beach.
Adding that this is the fourteenth report of substances being washed up on beaches in Cornwall over the past two months.

Staff from the Council are working closely with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Environment Agency and Natural England to monitor the situation and are on stand by to take further action if required.

A spokesman said: "Members of the public are asked to report any sightings of substances being washed up on any beach in Cornwall to the council as quickly as possible and to ensure that children and dogs are kept away from the material."

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/10880455.Warning_as_white_waxy_substance_washes_up_on_Cornish_beach_again___Dog_dies/?ref=mr
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 17-12-2013 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

2023: The Lizard LB is out. She rounded the Lizard and went NW to a position maybe 5 miles west of Mullion Island, where she appeared to do part of a search pattern before heading back towards the Lizard.

The wind is light, from the SW.

2038: LB back near station - looks like exercise is over.

2044: LB back on station.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 09:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping Forecast

Gale warnings in force for all UK sea areas apart from Trafalgar.

The general synopsis at midnight
Low mid Atlantic 986 expected Bailey 950 by midnight tonight

Issued 18 December 04:05 UTC

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/shipping_forecast

Several regions (eg NE Scotland, western Channel) could get Storm 10.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Solent helicopter has just returned to base after what looks like a training sortie. She flew down the west Solent, then inland for a loop around Ringwood, back out to the Needles, back up the Solent to Cowes, then Newport, and finally home to Lee-on-Solent.

Wind in the Solent 27knots, but 32 knots out in mid Channel.

Forecast for Wight:

Wind South or southwest, veering west later, 6 to gale 8, increasing severe gale 9 or storm 10 for a time.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an AIS anomaly showing about 15 M SE of Falmouth. The icon is grey/unspecified, and there's no other indication of type of vessel. But it claims to be doing 47.6 knots, so I guess a helicopter, as a surface vessel couldn't make that speed into the wind and sea we have here.

But despite its high speed, it hasn't moved over several screen refreshes! But the icon is not faded, as some ghost icons are.

About the only info given is "3 hours ago
(AIS Source: 888 Self Report)" - and that hasn't changed either!

Searching for the IMO number given (to try to find the real current position) gets no result! Quite a mystery!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried closing down Firefox and opening MarineTraffic in IE, but the mystery icon is still there. Switched back to Firefox, still there!

At first I thought nothing was refreshing, but everthing is, all apart from that grey icon.

The wind is increasing: now 38 knots from the SSW off the Lizard.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 09:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor search resumes after gales batter UK

A search has resumed for a sailor who fell from a small cargo ship off North Lincolnshire as winds gusting up to 90mph battered parts of the UK.
Attempts to find the man, who was on a ship moored on the River Trent, were called off in "very poor" conditions.

Electricity was restored overnight in thousands of homes in parts of the UK.
Multiple flood warnings are in place in Scotland, Wales and south-west England and an amber warning of severe gales has been issued by the Met Office.
Meanwhile, snow showers are expected in parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland on Thursday morning.

Humber Coastguard says a 45-year-old foreign national who fell from a vessel in North Lincolnshire was thought to have become tangled in wires and pulled overboard while working on deck during the storm.

Spokesman Mike Puplett told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the search was due to resume at 08:15 GMT.
"The weather this morning is a lot milder and a lot more benign than it was at nine last night - we had gale force winds and driving rain and it was very cold."
He said a helicopter with an infra-red camera had "searched to the limit of its fuel capability" and had "found nothing".

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25440928

I've been up the Trent on a coaster in winter, but not in such severe weather.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifeboat crew clock up the years at RNLI
Published 19/12/2013 09:01

TWO Shoreham lifeboat crew members have managed to clock up 50 years service for the RNLI.
Simon Tugwell, 47, and Keith Stevens have been awarded their long service badges after volunteering years of service to the charity.

Simon, who was given his 30-year service badge, joined the Shoreham lifeboat crew at the age of 17, following in the footsteps of his father, Geoff, who was involved with the lifeboat for 42 years.
Simon started as a trainee on the inshore lifeboat and worked his way up to senior helmsman, as well as becoming a crewman on the all-weather lifeboat.
In 2000, he became second mechanic before passing out as second coxswain in 2012.

Simon started serving on the Rother-class lifeboat, The Davys Family, while his dad was emergency mechanic on the boat.
He said: “The lifeboat is a huge part of my life and I can’t believe I have been involved for 30 years.
“I have seen some big changes in that time.
“When I first started going to sea, the lifeboat did eight knots, now our Tamar-class all weather lifeboat does 25 knots, so our response times are much quicker.

“Some of the services I have been involved in which stand out, are the rescue of the stricken yacht Trimley Maid in gale force nine winds off the coast in 1999 and the floods in Lewes and Uckfield of 2000.
“I would encourage any young person interested in the RNLI to come and look around the station.”

Keith Stevens was awarded his 20 year service badge.
He first joined the Selsey lifeboat crew and made his way up to second mechanic at the station and served there for 10 years.
When he moved to Shoreham he became a relief mechanic for the RNLI, a position which required him to cover 15 different lifeboat stations in the region from Newhaven to Calshot and the Isle of Wight.

Keith said: “The funniest moments are people not having the faintest clue where they are. Giving a position at sea that when plotted, fixes them as being on Chichester Station platform.
“And the scariest moments are running out of chocolate during a long service of 13 hours. No in truth it’s realising there’s no-one else out there in that weather to help.”

The pair were presented with their service awards at the station’s annual Christmas dinner at the Sussex Yacht Club by Shoreham Lifeboat chairman, Dr Tim Stevenson.

http://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/news/top-stories/latest/lifeboat-crew-clock-up-the-years-at-rnli-1-5759071
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big bulk carrier called Paros that came past the Lizard at about 1825, heading for Falmouth. (She's come down from Liverpool.)

Registered in Panama, she was built in 1992, but there are only 32 photos of her on MT, but most of those were taken in Europe - there are none of her in a UK port. Stormy weather forecast tomorrow, but I may go to town to see if I can get a pic. (And if I don't, I'm sure some of the other Falmouth regulars will get some!)

Weather right now is moderate NW'ly, partly clear skies, but with showers about.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paros has been met by pilot vessel Arrow - I expect she'll be anchoring in the bay, as she may just be here for fuel. (Darya Gayatri is still in the big dry dock.)

2020: Heading into the Bay, where two tankers are already at anchor.

2045: At anchor, about a mile south of Pendennis Point. Arrow returns to port.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look back at Falmouth Bay. At first it seemed that one of the tankers there had moved away, but zooming in I realised that Lizrix was in fact alongside Paros.

So it seems Paros is there to refuel, which suggests she is getting cleaner fuel to allow her to proceed up Channel...
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-12-2013 07:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Just had a look back at Falmouth Bay. At first it seemed that one of the tankers there had moved away, but zooming in I realised that Lizrix was in fact alongside Paros.

So it seems Paros is there to refuel, which suggests she is getting cleaner fuel to allow her to proceed up Channel...

But I guessed wrong! Paros is actually south of Scilly now, and heading westward! (The AIS info still gives her destination as Falmouth, however.)

Assuming she's going trans-Atlantic, her fuel stop at Falmouth was taking advantage of the port's westerly location to top up her bunkers before the long voyage.

The wind now is WNW 23 knots, but it's due to back SW and freshen to gale force throughout the day.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-12-2013 08:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Navy landing craft collides with Cremyll Ferry

A Royal Navy landing craft on its way to a training exercise has collided with a pedestrian ferry, the Navy said.
The crash between the craft from HMS Raleigh and the Cremyll Ferry happened at about 10:00 GMT on Thursday near Mayflower Marina at Stonehouse, Plymouth.
A spokesman for the Navy said there are no reported injuries.
The Cremyll Ferry has been damaged and is out of service. The landing craft is returning to Devonport Naval Base.
The small pedestrian passenger ferry operates from Cremyll in Cornwall across the River Tamar to Stonehouse.

A navy spokesman said: "The landing craft was on the way to Plymouth Sound to take part in a training exercise with two small Royal Naval inflatable boats.
"The exercise was to allow the drivers of rigid inflatable boats to practise coming alongside a larger vessel - ie the landing craft.
"The landing craft is returning to Devonport Naval Base, Plymouth."
He added that there were three Royal Navy personnel on board the landing craft and two passengers on board the ferry as well as the crew.

A spokeswoman for the Cremyll Ferry said a relief ferry is covering the service.
The Queen's Harbour Master is liaising with the Maritime Coastguard Agency and the causes of the incident are being investigated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25449118

Back in the 70s I used this ferry quite regularly to get to Mashford's boatyard in Cremyll, when working on Island Cruising Club boats there.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-12-2013 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gale force winds in the Channel tonight, but not much shipping movement. Not even those mad Breton fishermen who like to come to the English side of the Channel when they get a chance.

When I was in the regular Coastguard, we used to reckon that casualties increased in the run up to Xmas. This was partly due to the worse winter weather, but also, we thought, because mariners were taking extra chances to get home for the festive season.

Just one day ago was the anniversary of the loss of the Penlee lifeboat in Cornwall:

"The Solomon Browne lifeboat went to the aid of a coaster,
the Union Star, in a winter storm on 19. 12. 1981.
But sadly both vessels and sixteen people were lost."
http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/man-pen-2.html (End of page.)

Let's hope this solstice period will be free of such grief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 153, 154, 155  Next
Page 83 of 155

Jump to: