Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Misperceptions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1530
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't wait to read about the paedophile who was mistaken for a prosthetic leg.

The best gag in the comments section is how if it had been in the pool, it might have been mistaken for a torpedophile. Laughing
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1600
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
ramonmercado wrote:
Wonderful! That deserves to be written up into a dhort story.

A story about dhorts?

No ... A dhort story is a story with Fortean overtones that ends with a "D'oh!" moment.

Twisted Evil
IlikepencilsOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 32
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a teenager I often taped the charts and had a bundle of mix tapes containing tunes spliced at the beginning/end with the witterings of DJ's. I tried to edit this out as best I could but there was usually a bit of chat left between songs. On one tape there was a cut between songs that sounded just like my dad calling my name out. The first time I took my headphones out and yelled "what?" to inevitable silence. I soon realised what it was but then always forgot that it was on that tape and it gave me a creepy start every time I listened to it.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14750
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes think the phone is ringing when I'm listening to music radio. But it isn't, it's a... what? Aural illusion? Or do illusions have to be visual?
EnolaGaiaOffline
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
I sometimes think the phone is ringing when I'm listening to music radio. But it isn't, it's a... what? Aural illusion? Or do illusions have to be visual?

In recent years I mainly listen to music through good-quality headphones. I've been surprised to find how many apparently random environmental noises show up in studio recordings.

Perhaps the most well-known example is Led Zeppelin's _The Ocean_. About 1.5 minutes or so into the song a telephone can be heard ringing in the background. Some LZ fans claim it was an unexpected call-back from a pizza place nearby.

Within the last week I was listening to some new alternative group's studio track and clearly heard a metallic thud in the background that sounded like someone hit or knocked over a live microphone stand.

On the other hand, there have been a few songs that deliberately incorporate phone rings. I've noticed a few songs in the last decade (mainly urban / rap genre) that seem to incorporate ring tones in the background (repeatedly, like on every chorus). I've often wondered if that was done simply to screw with listeners' heads.

Beyond these sorts of things ... Some instrument (particularly synthesized) sounds or combinations thereof are so aurally similar to phone ringer sounds that I find myself pulling off the 'phones to double-check that there's no incoming call.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

My phone has an electronic ring which might explain a more synthesised noise fooling my ears, but it happens with all sorts of music I listen to.

I think if artistes really wanted to mess with listeners' heads they'd put in the sound of a doorbell every so often.
EnolaGaiaOffline
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
... I think if artistes really wanted to mess with listeners' heads they'd put in the sound of a doorbell every so often.

I've heard doorbells as well ... Rolling Eyes
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1131
PostPosted: 21-12-2013 07:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:

the term is aural simulacra (tm)
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18635
PostPosted: 21-12-2013 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:

One of those dhorty stories! Laughing
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20629
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 02:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
ramonmercado wrote:

One of those dhorty stories! Laughing

Thats how its pronounced in Cork.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2233
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryFort wrote:
gncxx wrote:

the term is aural simulacra (tm)

Thanks. If FT had an audio element, those would make a nice complement to the simulacra photos. But how to record them?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18635
PostPosted: 27-12-2013 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only realised this last week that the song Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas was sung in the film Meet Me In St Louis and not, as I'd thought, The King And I.

I'm baffled as have a clear memory of singing along to it at the cinema some time in the '70s, when that was the place to go for quality time with a boyfriend. Wink

Seems that the song I was thinking of may be Hello Young Lovers.

Just shows, eh! Laughing
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 4019
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnolaGaia wrote:
gncxx wrote:
... I think if artistes really wanted to mess with listeners' heads they'd put in the sound of a doorbell every so often.

I've heard doorbells as well ... Rolling Eyes

I'm always hearing doorbells in the shower, though now I think on it, less so since my recent house move..

I heard a really weird aural simulacrum (no, sorry, there has to be a shorter name for it!) only the other day. I grabbed two large dinner plates one-handed from the dishwasher, and as I lifted them out, they clanged against each other, and for a brief moment, I clearly heard a woman's voice. I can even tell you what voice it was! You know the voice that says (in UK) "the number you have dialled has not been recognised"? Same voice, same tone. I could make out no words, but it was quite uncanny, though I realised within seconds that it was no more than the brief ringing of two plates.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 29-12-2013 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that's the equivalent of seeing faces in everyday objects, the brain tries to make sense of sounds, even random ones, in the same way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: