Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Strange Deaths II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluttermoth wrote:
escargot1 wrote:
True, it's usually a last-straw thing. A forbear of mine in the mid-19th century, a farmer, had an argument with his wife at the breakfast table about lumpy porridge and then walked out and drowned himself in the farm pond.

It's one of those family stories that have you shaking your head. confused

My great grandfather (around 1911, I believe) also drowned himself in the farm pond (after he lost his job though). The pond was only four inches deep, so he laid face down in it.

There's a story in my family from some time back in the 1920's.

As a very young man a cousin of my dad's - a very handsome youth, with a chronic stutter - was mowing in a hillside meadow. At both the top and the bottom of this hill are small ponds.

On the day in question a young girl, who was besotted with him, and had become infuriated by his apparent indifference, ran past him towards the top of the hill. He called after her and asked where she was going.

"I'm going to drown myself in the mere on top o' the hill", she called back over her shoulder.

He stopped with his mowing, cocked his cap back on his head, and scratched the exposed noggin perplexedly.

"Yer...you've j..j..just per..per...You've j just per... You've just per...passed one on yer way up."

They got married some time later.
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 984
PostPosted: 13-12-2013 02:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self inflicted gunshot wound to the head, after being searched by police and with his hands handcuffed behind his back while sitting in a police car.
http://www.wnct.com/story/24195816/durham-police-chief-teen-died-of-gunshot-wound-to-the-head
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13669
PostPosted: 13-12-2013 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"While incidents like this are not common, they unfortunately have happened in other jurisdictions in the past."

Yeah, right. This is soo fishy.

Whatever happened, a young man is dead when he should have been safe even from himself. Sad
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 2910
PostPosted: 13-12-2013 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spookdaddy wrote:
"Yer...you've j..j..just per..per...You've j just per... You've just per...passed one on yer way up."

They got married some time later.

I take it Granville was best man?
ObakeOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 70
PostPosted: 17-12-2013 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the death part isn't so strange, but oy, the timing!

Quote:

Dinner killed Grandpa Johnny before he could dig into dessert.

An 86-year-old man who won a free ménage-a-trois at the famous Bunny Ranch choked to death on a piece of steak shortly before his promised night of carnal delight, said brothel owner Dennis Hof.

Eager octogenarian Johnny Orris, shortly before his last meal, said he was looking forward to “the greatest day of my life” — only to die Thursday on the floor of a Nevada restaurant.

“The guy was so full of life,” said his grandson Ed, who entered Orris in a Howard Stern-sponsored contest for a night of passion at the Nevada brothel.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/86-year-old-chokes-death-claiming-sex-prize-article-1.1546939#ixzz2njWZr4XT
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1894
PostPosted: 21-12-2013 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very suspicious and odd situation, and it always strikes me as grotesque when alleged circumstances get manufactured to try and distract from a cock up:

Quote:
Lynne Spalding death: Family anger at inquiry delays

The family of a British woman found dead in a US hospital stairwell 17 days after going missing say vital questions about her death remain unanswered.

Lynne Spalding, 57, from Haswell in County Durham, was being treated at San Francisco General Hospital when she disappeared on 21 September.

But three months on, her family said it was "disturbing" the exact date and time of death had yet to be determined.

A US coroner's report suggested alcohol abuse had been a factor in her death.

Ms Spalding, who moved to San Francisco several years ago, was being treated for a bladder infection at the hospital.

Following her disappearance, the hospital was searched and police opened a missing person investigation. But Sheriff Department deputies failed to look in all the stairwells.

It appears that there has been an attempt to smear the good name of this woman instead of trying to find the truth”

David Perry Family spokesman

They also had the wrong racial description and waited days to share surveillance footage.

The mother-of-two was eventually found on 8 October in a fifth floor stairwell, where she had lain dead for several days.

A coroner's report suggested Ms Spalding may have died as a result of a chemical imbalance from heavy drinking.

But family spokesman David Perry dismissed reports Ms Spalding was an alcoholic, saying she had been "abandoned" by those who should have been caring for her.

He said: "We find it disturbing that the medical examiner's report seems to blame the victim. I thought we had got past that time in our society.

"It appears that there has been an attempt to smear the good name of this woman instead of trying to find the truth.

San Francisco general hospital Ms Spalding's body was found in a rarely-used stairwell at San Francisco General Hospital

"I had known Lynne for six years. Was she teetotal? No. But I was not aware of any drink problem."

He said there had been a "lack of urgency" from hospital and police officials who had released "inadequate and incomplete" information.

"The family and friends of Lynne are not going to give up until we get the whole truth about what exactly happened and until the systemic failures that led to Lynne being lost and dying on that stairwell are fixed.

"We have lost confidence in the investigation process."

Mr Perry said it was difficult for Ms Spalding's 23-year-old daughter Simone and 19-year-old son Liam to move on because of the investigative delays.

San Francisco's Sheriff's Department said five deputies had been reassigned since Ms Spalding's death and an investigation alongside hospital officials was continuing.

Last month the Sheriff, Ross Mirkarimi, admitted the search for her had been flawed and said he wanted to make sure it never happened to anyone else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25460462
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1815
PostPosted: 26-12-2013 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
10 truly bizarre Victorian deaths

Life in Victorian times was arguably considerably more dangerous than now, if the newspaper reports of the time are anything to go by, writes Jeremy Clay.

A recent BBC News Magazine piece set out the dangers within the Victorian or Edwardian home. But there were plenty of ways to come a cropper outside the home...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25340525
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1213
PostPosted: 26-12-2013 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You beat me to it. Sad
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26261
PostPosted: 27-12-2013 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Python kills Bali security guard outside five-star hotel
Ambar Arianto Mulyo strangled to death while trying to capture snake near Bali Hyatt hotel on Indonesian
Associated Press in Bali
theguardian.com, Friday 27 December 2013 10.43 GMT

A security guard has been killed by a python near a luxury hotel on Indonesia's resort island of Bali.
The incident happened around 3am on Friday as the 4.5-metre (15ft) python was crossing a road near the Bali Hyatt hotel, said Agung Bawa, an assistant security manager at the hotel, which is closed for renovations until 2015.

The victim, Ambar Arianto Mulyo, a 59-year-old security guard at a nearby restaurant, had offered to help capture the snake, which had been spotted several times before near the hotel, in the Sanur area.
Mulyo managed to secure the snake's head and tail and put it on his shoulders, but the python wrapped itself around his body and strangled him to death, Bawa said.

People watching the incident were unable to help and called the police, who came but failed to save the man. The python escaped into nearby bushes, and police were still searching for it.

"It happened so fast," Bawa said. "We were sad because we could not do anything to help him."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/27/python-kills-bali-security-guard-indonesia-hotel-snake
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1815
PostPosted: 27-12-2013 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mulyo managed to secure the snake's head and tail and put it on his shoulders, but the python wrapped itself around his body and strangled him to death...

...???!!!! wtf Darwin Awards candidate?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 27-12-2013 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamSundog wrote:
Quote:
Mulyo managed to secure the snake's head and tail and put it on his shoulders, but the python wrapped itself around his body and strangled him to death...

...???!!!! wtf Darwin Awards candidate?

Probably not: he's described as "a 59-year-old security guard". If he hasn't passed on his genes by that age, it's probably nothing to do with stupidity or rashness.

Darwin Awards are for young people who stupidly eliminate themselves from the gene pool.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13116
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the...?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25567884

Quote:
A Palestinian diplomat has been killed by an explosion at his home in the Czech capital Prague.

Jamal al-Jamal, the head of the Palestinian mission, had been taken to hospital after the explosion but died of his injuries some four hours later.

Palestinian officials said the blast happened when Mr Jamal was moving a safe. Czech police say there is no evidence that it was a planned attack.

A 52-year-old woman was also taken to hospital suffering from shock.

The explosion happened at a two-storey property in the city's Suchdol district.

Palestinian mission spokesman Nabil El-Fahel told Czech public radio Mr Jamal had been in the flat with his family at the time of the explosion.

Mr Jamal had only recently moved into the property.

Palestinian officials have been quoted as saying the blast took place when Mr Jamal attempted to move a safe from an old embassy building to the new one.

"The device was in a safe and was triggered after the door of the safe was opened. The police are not ruling out that the device was a part of the safe," Czech police spokeswoman Andrea Zoulova told Reuters.

There are no visible signs of damage to the house from the street, according to a Reuters reporter at the scene.

The Palestinian foreign ministry said it would send a delegation to Prague to assist with the investigation.

The Palestinian Liberation Organisation (PLO), which is recognised by the UN and Israel as representing the Palestinian people, has diplomats based in European and other capitals, and has a mission in Prague.

Loads of questions about this one. Were the explosives his or someone else's? Were they explosives at all? Why would you booby trap a safe? Strange.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21524
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossad are quitev good at thius type of stuff. Sow confusion, make it look as if it might be an internal feud or even that a bomb wqas kept in the embassy.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13116
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to think Mossad were involved somehow, but this sounds like they were playing a long game if the bomb was in an old safe. Had nobody tried to open it in a while and what was supposed to be in it anyway?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 07:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
London plane fall man identified as Jose Matada

Quote:
A man who fell to his death in west London from the undercarriage of an aeroplane has been identified.

The body of 30-year-old Jose Matada was found in Portman Avenue, Mortlake, in September but his identity has remained a mystery until now.

The final episode of a stowaway's story
By Rob Walker, BBC News

Many months after a man from Mozambique fell to his death from the undercarriage of an aeroplane flying over London, his family has been traced.
Jose Matada's body was found in Portman Avenue, Mortlake, in September 2012, soon after a flight from Luanda, Angola, flew over the residential area.

He had no identity papers on him and no-one had reported him missing. Police were unable to trace his next of kin, but his family recently came forward and identified themselves to the authorities in Mozambique.

Jose's mother, Eugenia Ndazwedjua, and his older brother, Paulino Domingos Matada, who live in Maputo, said they had read about his death in a local newspaper called Verdade.
"I was shocked, it was a huge feeling, knowing he'd already been dead for some time - an overwhelming feeling," said Paulino.
He had thought his brother was in South Africa, where he had been employed for several years as a housekeeper and gardener.

The last time Paulino spoke to his brother was in June 2012. After that, when he tried to call him, he couldn't get through.
"I called others who knew him there, but they said, 'he's disappeared'. I didn't expect him to go to another country, I just thought he'd suddenly appear here one day, or call."

Paulino is still not sure why Jose stowed away on the flight from Angola.
He wonders if Jose was trying to re-join his former employer, who had moved from South Africa to Switzerland. "When I heard he had died, I found a Sim card of his here that had messages, with declarations of love on it."

Whatever the reason - whether Jose had fallen in love with his former employer, or whether he was trying to get to Europe to get her help in finding a job - it was a desperate measure. Most stowaways on long-haul flights are killed by the cold and lack of oxygen.

Jose's mother Eugenia wishes that his body could be returned to Mozambique. "He should have been buried in our village, next to his father, next to his great-uncles and aunts, and my other two children who died - but we have no money to bring his body back home."
The family say they have been told that it would cost £7,000 ($11,500) to repatriate Jose's body.
"I am struggling since he died... His father died a long time ago, but even though we are poor, I had my children - that's the only consolation I had."

There is nothing to mark the grave where Jose Matada is buried in Twickenham, west London - no headstone with his name, or his date of birth.
But we know now that Jose Matada was born on 8 September 1985. He died in London on 9 September 2012, the morning after his 27th birthday. Sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25576086
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 62 of 71

Jump to: