Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
These Roads Lead Where....???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 582
PostPosted: 20-11-2013 08:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an intriguing stone. What do we make of it (besides oversized gingerbread men for bears - vengeance for the tiny teddies Smile )? Estimated age? Doesn't appear to be a modern product. Looks pretty ancient.
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 20-11-2013 09:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.templeilluminatus.com/group/ancient-civilizations/forum/topics/the-man-who-fell-from-the-cosmos

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6xbenRnRvoo/UiS7jCFlEmI/AAAAAAAAUHY/KGgvijF6YWk/s640/The+Man+Who+Fell+from+Heaven+03.jpg
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 582
PostPosted: 20-11-2013 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Henry... I'm none the wiser, really. Confused

From someone else who visited the spot:
Quote:

12/21/2008 09:49 PM

The man who fell from Heaven
A number of years ago I was fortunate to trek around the islands just out of Prince Rupert and see some amazing petroglyphs just sitting there on the beaches. Sadly, many of these have been removed over the years by scavenger but many remain.

The following is a link to the "The man who fell from heaven" Quite amazing actually. It is located on native land. We had to get permission from the local Chief to go and see it. I was grateful for the opportunity to see it.
I didn't have my camera with me when I went there so I was happy to come across this link.
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message689550/pg1

Nothing on Google except replications of the info at HenryFort's link. Seems to be / have been part of local indigenous lore, but no archaeological study that I can find. Sure would be a tempter for some anthropological research funding, if the indigenous people could be persuaded to allow investigation.
Pinlight_DukeOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 62
PostPosted: 23-11-2013 09:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man Who Fell From Heaven - this is the article mentioned in the post linked above.

It's interesting that by most accounts, it seems that the young man who claimed to have been taken into the sky was not believed. It's obviously not possible that a falling human body could create such an artifact, and the carving is likely much older than the story about the young man. I wonder if something strange actually happened to a young man and it was somehow connected to the rock in question, leading him either to believe that he'd in fact fallen from the sky, or to make up this story somehow. Of course, this is all conjecture. But, if people in the past had had similar experiences to that of backinthebush, where the carving played a central role in an experience of being "taken", it could be that they might try to explain the experiences differently than we might.

It's also highly intriguing to note the connection with the local trickster lore.

Some have pointed out the similarities between backinthebush's experience and the modern "alien abduction" experience. Of course the parallels between those abduction stories and much more ancient folklore about mythological beings - such as fairies, angels, etc. - spiriting people away, is well-documented. Backinthebush's story seems more folkloric than modern, and has the important distinction that he was being taken to an actual distant location and back, and not to a non-existent fairyland or into the sky (though who knows about this "alternator factory" and what that really was!)

None of the folk tales surrounding the carving give a plausible explanation for the carving's existence, however. Now, I'm really going to stretch here, and suggest that perhaps some strange and inexplicable events in the distant past might have led ancient people to have marked this spot, for some purpose, with the carving.

I would like to point out that I'm not suggesting aliens or fairies or other supernatural beings are involved. What I think is that people all over the world and throughout history have had similar experiences which they then subconsciously interpret according to their cultural and religious bias.

It would be interesting if you were if Scandinavian descent, backinthebush!
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 23-11-2013 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

itd be interesting to determine the first recorded sighting of the carved figure ... isnt most naturally occurring rock ancient ? something about the figure seems stylistically modern to me particularly around the feet ... almost like a walk/dont walk symbol ... from the story i had imagined the indentation in the rock was more subtle such as the impression left in a bed after youve been lay on your side for instance ... not to take anything away from the thread however which is a classic
paranoid420Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 80
PostPosted: 01-12-2013 05:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

backinthebush wrote:
Also, my curiosity is aroused regarding the location of the various posters who have replied. I note that several are in the UK. Is this the case with all? Are other countries represented?

Canadian here from Ontario but now living in calgary. Seriously considering driving out to BC to see that man in stone next summer....
ScribblesOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 93
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

British person here, living in Birmingham, seriously thinking of moving to Canada. It sounds incredible.

Backinthebush, thank you for taking such care with your story. I just passed the most amazing hour reading this thread, great to learn of such wonderment in the world.
XBergMannOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 45
PostPosted: 06-12-2013 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

British person here living in Ukraine, seriously thinking of moving anywhere else..

Canada does look like fun though I could spend many happy days wondering about the uncovered ancient landscape mumbling to myself ... I wonder why they did that?
rasputinOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: 25-12-2013 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has backinthebush posted on any other threads recently? I hope he is ok?
SimonOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 47
PostPosted: 26-12-2013 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

rasputin wrote:
Has backinthebush posted on any other threads recently? I hope he is ok?

I'm sure he's fine, but I really don't mind if he doesn't come back.
Some people just need a platform or audience to tell their story, and I think the FTMB was perfect for him. All the responses he received here were positive, and he was treated with great respect by everyone, and I truly think that meant a lot to him.
He's out there now, in the wilderness, so expect something in 2020ish.
Happy travels backinthebush! Very Happy
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13082
PostPosted: 26-12-2013 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he's happy as long as he's not thinking "Suckers!"
Finding_nemoOffline
Grey
Total posts: 13
PostPosted: 26-12-2013 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely story.

But I hate how these OP's just suddenly disappear. Please tell more.

I would love a photo of those minute trees.

I also didn't understand how he said that he walked through them and then was back to the same spot he started in. Why did he not take his GF as an extra pair of eyes. I know if it was me and my BF I would drag him along telling him I knew where I was!
Finding_nemoOffline
Grey
Total posts: 13
PostPosted: 26-12-2013 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely story.

But I hate how these OP's just suddenly disappear. Please tell more.

I would love a photo of those minute trees.

I also didn't understand how he said that he walked through them and then was back to the same spot he started in. Why did he not take his GF as an extra pair of eyes. I know if it was me and my BF I would drag him along telling him I knew where I was!
mary_louOffline
Grey
Total posts: 23
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 02:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. It's been a while since I've enjoyed such a good read, and I hope there will be more to come.

Getting back to the first encounter, I can't help wondering if the strange 'alternator' thingy is some kind of perpetual motion generator, and is tied in with backinthebush's concern with nuclear energy. Perhaps he was given a clue as to a viable alternative to nuclear power?
LazarusMPOffline
Grey
Total posts: 23
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary_lou wrote:
Getting back to the first encounter, I can't help wondering if the strange 'alternator' thingy is some kind of perpetual motion generator, and is tied in with backinthebush's concern with nuclear energy. Perhaps he was given a clue as to a viable alternative to nuclear power?

Doesn't even have to be as exotic as perpetual motion - perhaps it was simply an extra efficient generator. Hydro-electric power is very common here in BC and individual-scale hydro-electric and wind power is already a reality for many people with flowing water or sufficient airflow on their property. A more efficient electric generator could make these even more viable for more people. and cut down on the necessity of dirty central power generation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: