Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Practicing Magic - HELP ME PLEASE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razorblimp
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-06-2008 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonedog2 wrote:
razorblimp wrote:
A holly half-staff

holly as in wood of the holly tree? I keep misreading as holy which I don't think is what you mean Embarassed

Kath

Yep. The wood is lovely, white, hard and a fine grain. Smile
OldTimeRadioOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 5539
PostPosted: 13-06-2008 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTimeRadio wrote:
Even so, bell, book, robes, incense and candles seem to be an integral part of all of this.

What I meant above is that "ritual magic" seems to be largely psycho-drama, and psycho-drama is "ritual" by definition.

I am by no means dismissing possible Paranormal elements. But the psycho-drama serves as the trigger for those elements. If you take away the ritual you also take away the trigger.
cassandra78Offline
What WAS that??
Total posts: 524
PostPosted: 30-06-2008 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree on the psychology part. As you know it's all about invoking- or more basically- using your will and most people find in order to get into the right state of mind for that there are rituals. I suppose if you are able to reach that state without the ritual then that is fine. But you will still find yourself doing something to focus your energy even if it's a simply taking a deep breath. I think generally the ritual side of magik is losing it's appeal for the modern generation. I personally have disregarded some of the traditions which seem steeped in superstition for more modern practices. I wouldn't be seen in robes either and discount much of the 'pomp' involved. Why? Because this is the new eon. Religion has to change. Magik has to change. It all has to become accessible for everyone and brought into the modern world, it's happening like it or not and it's just a natural evolution.

Your point is absolutely valid. Things have changed so much just in the last 30-no- make that 15- years everything has got to catch up. I would be very wary of cutting corners though. We can't throw away hundreds of years of study but need to sift out the outdated ideas which simply do not apply now.

I'm glad you bought this up, I've been thinking along the same lines.
Forever_SOffline
The Face in the Mantle
Total posts: 130
PostPosted: 29-07-2008 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me I know what you are trying to do - look behind the veil we have placed over magick and find the real codes hidden underneath that - this is a notoriously difficult quest but you KNOW what you are looking for.

The trouble with lifting the veil and looking behind it is... quite a lot of the time the only things people see is.. more veil. I have completed my quest and done this but if I tell you what I have seen and what I have done then this is more veil, if you manage it then whatever you see you will not be able to tell a soul - you just can't there aren't any words you can use.

I can give some guidance to what led me to the secret but I can't actually tell you what it is.

Books I reccomend reading are Transcendental Magick by Eliphas Levi, Liber 777 by Aleister Crowley, and I know you aren't going to believe this but read THE BIBLE - best one is the LDS version in my opinion but a lot of people have their own preferences. Combine Magick with Religion and question both of them thoroughly - compare the description of the Philosophers Stone in Eliphas Levi's book with the image and shape of the Qabalah - Aleister Crowley and Dion Fortune wrote extensively about Qabalah.

Also if it helps you on your way I will give you this clue. Metaphors and codes exist to confuse one's mind - but if you have the base code you can decode the whole thing. If something falls off a wall and it is a great fall - look for other "things" that have had a "great fall".
cassandra78Offline
What WAS that??
Total posts: 524
PostPosted: 31-07-2008 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Books I reccomend reading are Transcendental Magick by Eliphas Levi, Liber 777 by Aleister Crowley, and I know you aren't going to believe this but read THE BIBLE -

Absolutely! Having read these in the last 2 years I can say my eyes are now truly open Shocked

Quote:
Combine Magick with Religion and question both of them thoroughly - compare the description of the Philosophers Stone in Eliphas Levi's book with the image and shape of the Qabalah - Aleister Crowley and Dion Fortune wrote extensively about Qabalah.

Spot on again. Studying the Qabalah is a huge help too, very very interesting indeed.
It's easy to get lost & find yourself in too deep, but keep going. Read Crowley's Book of Thoth a few times too. By the time you have been verbally slapped with a wet kipper, had your eyes peeled open, seen the visions, had the nightmares, screamed "that's what it's all about!!" and felt your insides squirm until you feel an inch from death you are ready to start thinking about the magick Laughing
theredmeanieOffline
heat gently, do not boil.
Total posts: 918
Location: stored in a cool, dry place away from bright lights and strong flavours
PostPosted: 04-08-2008 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to muddy the waters further, but, hey, this is my (and I stress strongly my) two pence worth..magick is at it's most useful when the practitioner is not attached to the idea of using magick. The best short cut I could offer you is stop trying to do magick. Just do it. Each time you attempt something, do so as if you are a beginner, with a beginner's mind. Be a fool.

We've all seen examples of this: people who have never played pool pot a killer shot first time..or a first-time archer hit a bullseye. Then, you start thinking 'ooooh, can I do that again?'...and the spark has gone.

It's only my humble opinion, as I said, but non-attachment to magick, no expectations..it's worth playing with.
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 475
PostPosted: 27-12-2013 05:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

I really miss threads like this ... and people like these. Most esoterics seem to have shuffled on or been put off by the high priests of all that can be known.

Where now is the credulity of yore? Let's rework the wonder, folk. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: