Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ghosts and Glasses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14371
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 14:37    Post subject: Ghosts and Glasses Reply with quote

No, not drinking glasses. This will be difficult to test, but if you're a spectacles wearer and you see a ghost, would that ghost be blurry without the glasses but clear with them?

What I mean is, it would be a good test of whether there is something in the room with you to see if the apparition adhered to at least one law of physics (clear with them/blurry without). What do you think?
FluttermothOffline
Mrs Treguard
Total posts: 441
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!

I promise that, if I ever see a ghost, I'll whip my glasses off and let you know Smile
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1547
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question ...

If you remove your eyeglasses and there's no change in the clarity of the ghost-image, that would suggest you are not 'seeing' the ghost by way of light reflecting off a physical entity.

Because visual focus is a feature of your eyes (etc.) rather than the objects you see, you should see a difference in focus for any and all objects visually detected by way of reflected or radiated light.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you put it better than I did, but that's what I was getting at. A lot of people see ghosts when they wake up in the middle of the night, and nobody wears their specs to go sleep, but then again it'll be dark so they probably wouldn't be able to judge how blurry or otherwise the spectre was.
Old_ShoeOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 71
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to guess that if you wear glasses and see something that shouldn't be there, then whipping your glasses off and seeing a blurred image would NOT constitute proof of its actual existence. If your mind was able to conjure up a false image, or hallucination, then it should be clever enough to make it blurry for you at the opportune moment...simply because you're used to seeing things blurry with the glasses off. pished
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1579
PostPosted: 23-12-2013 05:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my eyes, I wouldn't see the ghost without glasses unless it was very, very close... Cool
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2792
PostPosted: 27-12-2013 09:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever seen a ghost wearing glasses? And if the ghost's glasses were to fall off mid-spook could they be appropriated?

Would make for a better eBay auction than the fabled ghost in a jar...! Laughing
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 27-12-2013 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall reading about spectres in spectacles, but surely there are a few? Unless being a ghost improves your eyesight 20/20?
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2255
PostPosted: 29-12-2013 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very very shortsighted, -10 for those who understand these things. Looks like this The odd thing is that I am so used to my poor vision that I often don't know if I have my contacts in or not. It's not as obvious as you might think, especially in low light.
I have often wondered if I were to see a ghost when I was in bed at night if they would be clear or not.
If I ever do I'll be sure to let you know.
MythopoeikaOffline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 10008
PostPosted: 29-12-2013 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite a bit more short-sighted than I am, and my eyesight is really bad.
In the dark though, my eyesight seems to improve a little.
OneWingedBirdOnline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1166
PostPosted: 29-12-2013 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely this test would work for non spectacle wearers too?

If you carried a pair of prescription glasses with you and put them on when the spook appeared, everything else should go blurred but not the spook?
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2255
PostPosted: 29-12-2013 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
You are quite a bit more short-sighted than I am, and my eyesight is really bad.
In the dark though, my eyesight seems to improve a little.

The only time I don't have glasses on or lenses in is when I am asleep. If I get up in the night to go to the loo then I don't bother to put my glasses on or turn on the lights. I can see better in the dark than normally sighted people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: