Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ghost program on radio 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2269
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 21:38    Post subject: Ghost program on radio 4 Reply with quote

People sharing their experiences of seeing a ghost.
The last chap to speak has a great tale.
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03lph1d
[/url]
Be quick, it's only there for a few days.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25624
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03lph1d/The_Shared_Experience_I_Saw_a_Ghost/

The Shared Experience - 1. I Saw a Ghost

Shared Experience is a new series. Fi Glover and guests sit round a kitchen table to share strange tales that turn out to be unexpectedly common. In the first programme Fi talks to people who've seen a ghost. Fi's guests have come from different places, with different backgrounds; they live very different lives. But they have one experience they all share - the day they saw a ghost and what happened to them after. In Britain, strange tales are more common than you think.

Available until
12:00AM Thu, 1 Jan 2099
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25624
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bideford story has already been mentioned on this MB:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1189036#1189036
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18719
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 08:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Bideford story has already been mentioned on this MB:

Pfft, I posted the whole programme on TV/Radio reminders before it was even on.

Laughing

Wish I could keep a copy of it.
How come you could record the Top Twnty on your radiocassette player 40 years ago but you can't record radio programmes now?
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 134
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you for this link. I am going to listen to it now. One of my favourite things (and partly why I love the FT) is perfectly normal people sharing strange experiences. I heard a lot in the family when I was a child, and though such tales may not make it into books, like the 'famous' hauntings, I find them just as (if not more) interesting.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18719
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly how I feel about ghosts. People do see them, whatever they are, and nearly everyone has a story to tell about them. Very Happy

I used to work in hospitals and care homes where there seemed to be a spook around every corner. Heard many a nice scary tale over a nice cup of tea and a biscuit. Wish I'd written them all down now!
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4269
PostPosted: 20-12-2013 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
...Wish I could keep a copy of it.
How come you could record the Top Twnty on your radiocassette player 40 years ago but you can't record radio programmes now?

Audacity and LAME. Go get them.

I thought the younger guys experience was the most interesting - him being a self-confessed sceptic.

I never entirely trust stories that come with theories as part of the package, or from sources where the story is not simply that - a story - but also an expression of self (as in the 'I've always been a bit psychic' thing). I've always felt that they come with baggage (and, to my mind, two of the tellers brought that with them.)

The Bideford story was great, but I think the chap fell (sometimes rather irritatingly: those 'how old was the building?' interjections) into the trap of looking for a single explanation. I strongly suspect that the thing we call ghosts represents a spectrum of experience rather than a single type of experience - I've never quite understood why people feel the need to shoehorn everything into the same space, when so many experiences quite clearly follow very different paths.

Having said that - I don't think there's any such thing as a bad ghost story, and it was all well worth listening to.
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 134
PostPosted: 20-12-2013 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wish I'd written them all down now!

I do, too Escargot, although I was very young when I used to listen to the 'grown-ups' talking, and sometimes ghost stories would just crop up, as in 'Do you remember when...?' The conversations were really over my head to begin with, but I listened.
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1291
PostPosted: 20-12-2013 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audials is also a fantastic but of software. Smile
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14878
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught up with it this afternoon, very entertaining. Best story was the boy walking past the windows, kind of creepy the way he acknowledged his witness. It's obvious when you have these experiences either you take them on board and adapt them to your outlook, or they shake you up from being so far outside it.

I wouldn't have liked to have been at that pier at 4.30am and seen the sad spirit, that was interesting for being outdoors.
EponastillOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 235
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very interesting. They'd chosen a good variety of tale-tellers.

The woman for whom it was part of her story about her personality, that she was the sort of person to whom it was Natural to see such things. And that those things were Spirits. Which ironically, makes her the witness I'm least likely to set any store by her account. Because those expecting to see certain things are surely the least reliable when reporting what was really there?

And the fisherman out at 4.30am who was basically bemused by the disappearance of his figure, but it seemed it had started to make him ask big questions. He had the classic foaf ending that confirmed the experience somehow, that people had committed suicide in the general vicinity, and so the sighting Made Sense at last.

Plus the unsuspecting young man who saw the curious young boy flowing past the windows and was totally convinced and totally convincing about what he'd seen (whilst everyone else present basically didn't believe it could have been a ghost. Which was unfortunate for him trying to set his mind at rest - was he going bonkers? But the boy looked straight at him! It was very interesting hearing his thought processes about the experience.

And finally, the most marvellous story involving multiple sightings and multiple witnesses plus music being heard, again by various witnesses. And to top this off a painting being produced of the figure (allegedly). But the man refusing to believe (to the confusion of some of the other interviewees) that it was anything other than a recording of some kind replaying over again like a video tape. It seemed an excellent bit of evidence for the stone tape theory - until he introduced the bit about bringing back the painting to the house, and the sightings and piano playing stopping! Now how would that fit in!

Marvellously complicated and thought provoking in many ways. Oh I do so love ghost stories. Thank you for the link.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 218
PostPosted: 03-01-2014 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good show but christ that old fart - "and was the house old?"
Mouldy13Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 84
PostPosted: 05-01-2014 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naughty_Felid wrote:
Good show but christ that old fart - "and was the house old?"

listening to it now, and if i hear that question just one more time.....
WierdExeterOffline
Grey
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: 15-01-2014 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still on iPlayer Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: