Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Art of the Sitcom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26196
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about this idea:

Makers of Blackadder hint at new series, saying it is 'not finished' yet
Makers of Blackadder hint a new series might be in the pipeline, as writer Ben Elton says it is "not finished.”
By Hannah Furness
10:00PM GMT 10 Nov 2013

He entertained millions of fans before going over the top in one of the most memorable television scenes of all time, but it appears Blackadder may not have breathed his last.

For programme makers have hinted the popular comedy series may yet make a return, as writer Ben Elton said: “Blackadder is not finished.”
The show’s producer, John Lloyd, added programme makers had still not decided whether Blackadder Goes Forth would definitely be the last outing, as the team admit they will never officially rule it out.

Speaking to the Mail on Sunday’s Event magazine, Ben Elton, who joined the team as a writer for the second series, said: “Blackadder is not finished. We’ll never officially close it down…ever.”
Lloyd added: “It was always the idea that the last episode would be this tragic thing, but I don’t think we ever decided that it would be the last series.
“And I suppose in many ways we still haven’t decided.”

Their words will bring hope to the show’s legions of fans, more than 30 years after the show was first broadcast.
They are also likely to lead to further speculation, after Lloyd was reported as telling a newspaper he held talks with Rowan Atkinson in August this year.

Speaking of a plan to reunite old cast members for a Blackadder film, he added the “Dad’s Army-style” script could see a platoon being kidnapped by a German submarine and taken to Colditz, where they embark on a plot to escape.

In an article this weekend, the Blackadder team has also disclosed the remarkable moments which led up to the final scene of Blackadder Goes Forth, which saw characters go over the top of the trenches and into battle.
The shot will be remembered for its remarkably harrowing effect, among the light-hearted comedy of dozens of preceding episodes.

Atkinson said of the scene: “I had this knot in the pit of my stomach. An extraordinary feeling of dread I’ve never felt before.”
Lloyd added: “The actors were alone, in the dark, and had to go over the top, with real explosions going off around them.
“After the first, shocking take, the audience and the production team were stunned into silence, but the director and I felt it could be done a bit better.”
When asked to repeat it, Atkinson was heard to say: “I’m sorry, b-but we can’t do another; it’s just too horrible.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10439709/Makers-of-Blackadder-hint-at-new-series-saying-it-is-not-finished-yet.html

I'm afraid that in view of the years that have passed, a new series would have to be set in an old folk's home! Shocked
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Elton's last sitcom, The Health&Safety Moron (or whatever it was called), was a grim, audience insulting, affair. As if he'd taken the purposely horrible spoof sitcom Ricky Gervais's character starred in in Extras, as a blueprint.

Gervais is another sit-coma-teer that I can't stand.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13098
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prospect of Elton and Curtis reteaming for another Blackadder might have been good news in 1989, but Back and Forth (among other things) spoiled it.
ZoffreOffline
Total posts: 590
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, they always do this. Trying to recreate classic sit-coms/films/whatever which emerged organically in their own time and in their own way is always a bad idea. It never works and just looks desperate and embarrassing, not to mention the fact that it sullies the memory of the superb original.
chris138Offline
Cretin
Total posts: 155
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it could surprise you and be good! Cool
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26196
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince William 'agrees to Blackadder cameo'

Sir Tony Robinson says Prince William has agreed to a cameo role in Blackadder if there is ever another series of the hit BBC TV programme.
The 67-year-old comedian and actor said the casting took place as he was being knighted by the Duke of Cambridge.
Prince William told Sir Tony, who played the long-suffering manservant Baldrick, he was a big Blackadder fan.
"I said to him 'would you be prepared to be in it?' He said 'yes' like a shot," Sir Tony said.
"I managed to do a bit of casting while he was awarding my knighthood. I think that is probably a first," he added. Cool

Sir Tony starred in the historical comedy, first broadcast 30 years ago, alongside Rowan Atkinson and a host of other stars including Tim McInnerny, Miranda Richardson, Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry.

Asked by the prince about plans for a possible fifth series, Sir Tony joked: "I don't know if we can afford Hugh Laurie." Wink

As to who William would play, Sir Tony said: "I think he would have to play himself."

Of the investiture ceremony, Sir Tony said "a little bit of Baldrick crept over me", referring to his bumbling, hapless onscreen character.
"I messed it up completely - I forgot that you were supposed to bow at the beginning, I was just stood there and I was looking at HRH and he was looking at me.
"I stepped forward and knelt. Then I went the wrong way."

His knighthood, announced in the Queen's Birthday Honours, recognises his "lifetime of public and political service with a career as an actor, theatre director, children's author and television presenter".

Although best known for his portrayal of Baldrick, Sir Tony has performed in the West End, at Chichester Festival Theatre and the National Theatre as well as with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

His television credits include Channel 4's archaeology series Time Team, which he presented until it was axed last year.
Last month, it was announced Sir Tony will make his first theatre appearance in 16 years as the narrator, Kenneth Grahame, in the Royal Opera House's production of The Wind in the Willows.

His Blackadder co-star Atkinson was also recognised with a CBE for services to drama and charity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24913195
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5726
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I stepped forward and knelt. Then I went the wrong way."

No, Baldrick, tongue out and around the back, there's a good fellow! Dead / drunk
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 26-12-2013 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else watch Still Open All Hours? Not sure what the audience were laughing at, to be honest. Really cheap, though, just the shop set and the outdoor location for various recognisable actors to wander in and out of. The best you could say was that it was painless.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 14-01-2014 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm not giving up on sitcoms yet and although the trailer looked terrible, I watched Vic and Bob's House of Fools tonight. The verdict? It was all right I'm glad to say, I laughed throughout at the stupidity and weirdness and their celebrity friends contributed well. Although maybe the weirdest thing was how traditional it was if you looked at its basic components. Still, funny.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8587
PostPosted: 15-01-2014 07:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Anyone else watch Still Open All Hours?

It looked very much like the Beeb dipping a toe in the water to me - seeing if there would be life after both Arkwright and Del Boy, and maybe a series - which may explain why it looked like a lot of little vignettes reminiscent of classic "Hours" rather than an overall narrative in its own right. Agree it was painless, though; actually I quite enjoyed it.

I recorded House of Fools - will watch it later.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8587
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of weeks ago, I wrote:
gncxx wrote:
Anyone else watch Still Open All Hours?

It looked very much like the Beeb dipping a toe in the water to me - seeing if there would be life after both Arkwright and Del Boy, and maybe a series - which may explain why it looked like a lot of little vignettes reminiscent of classic "Hours" rather than an overall narrative in its own right...

And Lo! It came to pass.
Quote:
A full series of Still Open All Hours has been ordered following the success of its revival for a Christmas special.

David Jason will return as shopkeeper Granville for six half-hour episodes to be shown on BBC One later this year.

The original Open All Hours ran for 26 episodes in the 1970s and 80s, and starred Ronnie Barker as grocer Arkwright, the uncle of Granville.

The festive special was watched by 12.2 million people, making it the most watched comedy programme of the year.

It also registered as the most-viewed comedy since the Vicar of Dibley in 2007.

David Jason said: "I am so delighted that we are doing a series of Still Open All Hours as the feedback from our Christmas special has been so rewarding and encouraging.

"We want to have more fun giving the audience the kind of show they seemed to appreciate. It goes to prove that the corner shop is still open all hours."

I thank you!

a couple of weeks ago, I also wrote:
The first one - very funny. The second one - not very funny in comparison. This week's - a couple of funny bits, but all looked a bit forced if I'm honest. Still watching it though..
ZoffreOffline
Total posts: 590
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:

a couple of weeks ago, I also wrote:
The first one - very funny. The second one - not very funny in comparison. This week's - a couple of funny bits, but all looked a bit forced if I'm honest. Still watching it though..

My thoughts exactly. I really enjoyed the first one, but the last two have been less funny overall. I do like the insane (well, more insane) next door neighbour - she's very good. The son, Eric, is very funny too but seems to be under-used.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found myself watching HofF every week. Third episode a bit bitty, bordering on cringe, but still had me laughing loads at the end. Laughing
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 00:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘HEIL HONEY, I’M HOME!’: YOU WON’T BELIEVE THESE RACIALLY INSENSITIVE VINTAGE UK SITCOMS!

Dangerousminds.net
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2921
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying Uncle on BBC Three at the moment.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to the second series of Count Arthur Strong when that comes out. Graham Linehan was recently on a Radio 4 show describing how Steve Delaney said he'd just wing Copacobana while fiming a drunken karaoke session. Graham sat down wondering how long it would take Steve to Count Arthurise it. It didn't take long.

'His name was Lola'.

Unfortunately they couldn't use it.

The Beeb really have to push on sitcoms. Year after year we get repeats at Christmas of the specials of Are You being Served, Only Fools etc but the recent batch of topical panel quiz shows with comedian guests don't lend themselves to being shown again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: