Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
UFO I saw in Canada in the 80's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinlight_DukeOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 61
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 11:46    Post subject: UFO I saw in Canada in the 80's Reply with quote

This incident happened to me in Hamilton, ON, Canada, when I was about eight or nine years old. I was old enough to be fully aware of what was going on and even able to try and figure out the cause of it while it was happening (unlike a younger child who might confuse imagination or dreams with reality). I make that clear because many people might dismiss the account of a child as pure imagination or even lies. I do not believe I was dreaming.

My second-floor bedroom window faced south and looked out over the backyard which contained a single maple tree. Behind the backyard was a large empty field, so the line of sight was clear behind that. I used to sleep with the shades open and look at the moon.

One night as I was lying in bed, not sleepy yet, I looked out the window and saw a large deep yellow half-globe hanging in the sky. As my room as completely dark, it couldn't have been the reflection of any kind of light from inside. Besides, it didn't move when I looked at it even when I changed my position in the room (as a reflection would). I remember being so shocked by this that I got out of bed to approach the window and see it closer. It would have been no later than about 9 -10 pm at that point.

Whatever it was seemed to be relatively close, much closer than an aircraft, I would say within several hundred meters, but I couldn't tell you exactly why I felt this way. If it was far away it would have been absolutely massive in size. It was several times larger than the moon - the moon hadn't risen yet at this point, though. But in fact the object looked very close.

The object seemed to be luminescent, the color and luminescence of an incandescent light bulb and it had a "shadow" across it forming "Y" shape. The object itself was shaped like a half-circle, with the flat park on the bottom, and the two arms of the "Y" terminating in the top of the circle. The trunk of the "Y" was pointing into the middle of the bottom. The object seemed round, with soft edges. There was no sound.

I watched it for a very long time, during which time it didn't move, just hung there in the sky. After about an hour or maybe longer, I decided I was too tired to watch it all night and lay down in my bed where I drifted off to sleep. Honestly I wasn't sure what other course of action to take. However I had the impression that if I went and woke up my mother, I would return to find nothing at all in the sky and then I'd be in big trouble for waking her up.

Several hours later, perhaps around 2-3 am, I woke up to find that the object was still in the sky, but it had moved. Now it was about 30 degrees to the west and was hanging just above and behind our tree. The tree leaves and branches moved in the wind in front of the object, further confirming that I was NOT seeing any reflection from indoors, that the object was indeed outside and behind the tree.

Also, the object had changed shape - the color was the same but the shape had elongated downward and was now more of a 3/4 circle, flat part on the bottom. Also the "Y" shape had turned into a "V" shape with the trunk part missing. Still no sound and no movement that I could tell.

The moon had also risen and was visible in the southeast, much smaller and very white compared with the object.

This time I watched it for a long time because I was convinced I would see it move. It didn't. I watched it for as long as I could, while debating (and eventually deciding against) waking up my mom, the only other person in the house. It didn't frighten me at all, but I did have the excited feeling that I was seeing something very unusual and special, that I should somehow try to record it or get proof, but this was in the time before digital cameras and all that, would have been the summer of 1984-85. I watched it for probably close to another hour before falling asleep again, and when I woke up at daylight, the object was nowhere to be seen.

I never saw it again though after that I looked for it almost nightly. Nobody I told took me very seriously and I never found anyone else who saw anything like that, though obviously an object of that size should have been seen by a great many people.

Would appreciate any insight.
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1126
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange nights in hammertown ... could you draw what you saw ?
Pinlight_DukeOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryFort wrote:

Are you a Canuck?

Yes, I could draw it. I should do that and upload a photo of the drawing.
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 210
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it similar to this?:
http://www.ufoinfo.com/sightings/canada/738600.shtml
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1126
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlight_Duke wrote:
HenryFort wrote:

Are you a Canuck?

Yes, I could draw it. I should do that and upload a photo of the drawing.

nope but i once spent too long in canadia and i covered a lot of ground including a summer in the hammer
Pinlight_DukeOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 20-01-2014 05:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

feinman wrote:
Was it similar to this?:
http://www.ufoinfo.com/sightings/canada/738600.shtml

Hm, there are some surface similarities but I think it's mostly different. The main differences from what I can tell are the color of the object (mine was more of a golden yellow, not deep orange) and the fact that in these accounts the object was moving, while I did not see my object move at all. In fact I watched it for quite some time during which it did absolutely nothing. It did change positions at some point but I did not observe it do that, I just noticed that when I saw it the second time that it was in a different position in the sky.

It also seems that the witness in these accounts says that the object was the size of the moon, whereas the object I saw was several times larger than the moon, which could be observed at one point when both the object and the moon were in the sky. However, that could probably be put down to relative distance. The object gave me the impression of being very, very close, I would say within a few hundred meters, perhaps even closer. If it were farther away obviously it would seem smaller.

There are some similar accounts to the one you posted in this thread:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54598&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: