Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Something I witnessed...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 210
PostPosted: 27-11-2013 14:44    Post subject: Something I witnessed... Reply with quote

Hello all, I am new to this forum. Moderator, perhaps this is better moved to "It Happened to Me"? I didn't see it before. Apologies.

An interesting thing happened to me on May 14, 2010. That whole week I had been driving from Eugene, Oregon to work in Lake Oswego, Oregon (USA) in the morning and then driving back to Eugene after work (on I-5, 11o miles); my dad had been diagnosed with prostate cancer and was undergoing medical procedures that week, so I wanted to be there to be supportive. That Friday, May 14, I was driving back to Eugene and witnessed something extraordinary. Everything was lush and the trees were thick, but as I neared milepost 270 the trees gave way to pastures and I could look out West, to the mountains. As I looked West I was shocked to notice five bright round lights in a row (spaced evenly) that appeared to hover over the mountains in the distance; they were at a slight angle to the horizon, 5 degrees or so off the horizontal. As I continued to look (awestruck), I noticed that the lights dimmed slightly and were actually metallic spheres; the top of each sphere slightly reflected the blue light of the sky. The spheres seemed to have been large, perhaps 30 to 40 feet across to appear as large as they did from my perspective. The spheres hovered there in a row glowing slightly, seeming to slightly bob in the air for about fifteen seconds or so, and then seemed to slowly disappear from right to left, as I drove on; I was shocked. Ten seconds later, all five spheres reappeared, this time much closer, and nearer to I-5, but up in the sky, apparently jumping from the mountains to the West to that location. This time all five spheres glowed brightly red, and were in a slightly different configuration; four were in a line at a slight angle to the horizon, while one was a bit lower, kind of a lopsided triangle formation –this lasted for about ten seconds, then all disappeared again. I was completely shocked by the experience and didn’t mention it to my parents until the following evening. Doing a little research online later, I discovered that that Friday had been the first night of the McMinnville UFO festival, where Stanton Friedman was speaking. Initially I was confused and thought I saw the objects near Salem (that error is still on the Mufon site, I need to contact them). Later I drove the stretch and recognized certain trees and landmarks, and I googled a map of Oregon to pinpoint where I had seen the objects; drawing a line west from that point on I-5 towards the spot where I saw them, directly intersected McMinnville, actually very near the Trent farm (a co-worker grew up right next to them) –the objects were near or directly over McMinnville that evening. You can imagine how I felt upon discovering that fact… I called MUFON, and was interviewed by investigators –there was and still is no conventional explanation for what I experienced that Friday. I'd love to take a lie detector test. I was very disturbed by the whole affair.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14391
PostPosted: 27-11-2013 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it not have been a stunt by the UFO festival? I wouldn't put it past them.
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Could it not have been a stunt by the UFO festival? I wouldn't put it past them.

When I first got past the trees and suddenly saw this, I thought in sequence:

1. Could it be a reflection on my car window? No.

2. Perhaps five fighter jets using their afterburners heading away from me? No.

3. Later after I made the connection with the festival, that thought crossed my mind, but this was no lazer light show or balloons or anything like that. I am trained as an illustrator, and one learns to observer things very closely. These were metallic-looking glowing spheres, that began to reflect the sky off the top, after they glowed less. I am familiar with highlights, shadows, reflected light, penumbras etc. They must have been large too. Later when they moved much closer to th right of I-5, they must have been almost as far as I-5 N/S is from McMinnville, ahead of me on the right. They had the lopsided formation then, and glowed red.. I had the oddest sensation that I was being observed, from the beginning. I certainly struggled to look backwards and forwards on the freeway, but sadly, no one was around! As I said before, a co-worker of mine grew up right next to the Trents' farm, when we Google mapped it, as the crow flies, it appeared as thought the objects must have been over or very close to that area...

My Kindle HD isn't compatible with this forum, so there might be some future delays in response, FYI, until I get to a computer at my work. Happy Thanksgiving, I am off to drive that very same stretch now.
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 14-12-2013 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks,
I wanted to share another sighting that happened a year later to someone else. The details of the objects are remarkably similar... I didn't run across this report until about a year ago:

http://www.theufochronicles.com/2011/03/my-ufo-experience-scottsdale-arizona.html

Could be the same kind of objects / craft.

Also has anyone noticed the similarity between the ufo that shot the dummy warhead in the footage seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmh2NJxc3BQ

And the object depicted in the Project Saucer drawing of one of the objects in Brazil? Can be seen here:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iGfAQ4_0r7Q/TAUKVJvFpLI/AAAAAAAAAuA/24WJ0hqeGP0/s400/brazilUFOillustrationa.jpg

They look like the same object to me...
eburacumOffline
Papo-Furado
Total posts: 1634
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

feinman wrote:

Also has anyone noticed the similarity between the ufo that shot the dummy warhead in the footage seen here:

Bear in mind that is not actual footage, but instead a reconstruction based on the account of Jacobs, who only saw a point of light on the film, and of Mannsman, who rarely talked about what he saw when examining the film more closely. The actual film was 'confiscated', ie taken away for analysis, and has never been seen since. So don't read too much into how that reconstruction looks.
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

eburacum wrote:
feinman wrote:

Bear in mind that is not actual footage, but instead a reconstruction based on the account of Jacobs, who only saw a point of light on the film, and of Mannsman, who rarely talked about what he saw when examining the film more closely. The actual film was 'confiscated', ie taken away for analysis, and has never been seen since. So don't read too much into how that reconstruction looks.

True, and thank you for that reminder. The photographer does mention a "golf ball" on a disc or something similar, IIRC.
AirshipFlapperOffline
Grey
Total posts: 5
PostPosted: 07-01-2014 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like you saw "earthquake lights", balls of ionized air or plasma - usually reported as appearing alternately luminous and shiny. They're in the news this week because a mechanism has been proposed to explain their occurance:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2014/01/why-do-lights-sometimes-appear-in-the-sky-during-an-earthquake/

The Pacific Northwest is certainly seismically active enough for that to be a plausible explanation - if you check out the historic activity search here you might even be able to tie it to a specific tremor near the week of your sighting!

http://www.pnsn.org/
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 00:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am familiar with earthquake lights, sprites and other phenomena, and I was familiar with earthquake lights at the time, too. --they're not newly discovered so much as more widely accepted now. These were metallic glowing spheres. I am pretty sure that the woman In the story I linked to saw a similar thing. Then the fact that the objects were ostensibly in the vicinity of the Trent farm on the first day of the UFO festival in McMinnville..

There was actually an astonishing lack of earthquakes around that area during the time this occurred:
http://tinyurl.com/mvtcoxu
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 14-01-2014 17:29    Post subject: "silver balls, silver balls, soon it will be UFO day&am Reply with quote

Noticed the accounts of silver spheres show up in the 1947 UFO wave (before and after the Roswell incident). Interestingly a housewife in Lake Oswego where I work saw many in some kind of formation:

http://www.nicap.org/waves/1947fullrep.htm

Maybe they were all coming to see Project Mogul? Very Happy
Maybe off topic but if Roswell was related to Mogul, why wasn't the military scrambling to look for it? Had to wait for a rancher? Also, a "flying disc" is just about the worst cover story one could possibly imagine, inviting the most attention possible. Does that mean that at the time the debris was scrutinized by personnel at the base that they still couldn't identify it as our/their own?
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 29-01-2014 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of something...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Victory_stele_of_Naram_Sin_9068.jpg
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1434
PostPosted: 17-02-2014 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting account, Feinman. I'm sure it was 10x more exciting at the time and there was a general anticipation for something else to happen or for others to witness it alongside you.

The variety of different sizes and shapes is really curious. It begs the question, "What's the practical use for these craft?" Giant metal spheres, pyramids, cylinders. All objects that we can see no applicable use for. Any theory on this?

Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: