Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Missing York Student
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Mainstream News Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 744
PostPosted: 29-01-2014 14:16    Post subject: Missing York Student Reply with quote

The case of Megan Roberts has been in the news a lot since yesterday.

Looks worrying, she has not been heard from since 2am last Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-25941351

Quote:
The hunt for a student who disappeared six days ago will be focused around the River Ouse in York for a second day, North Yorkshire Police have said.

Megan Roberts, 20, from Wetherby, West Yorkshire, was last seen near Lendal Bridge in the city at 02:20 GMT on Thursday after a night out.

Volunteers are also taking part in a "search day" to raise awareness of the student's disappearance.

Police said her disappearance was not being treated as criminal.

Miss Roberts, who is studying fine arts at York St John University, was reported missing on Monday and riverbank searches of the River Ouse in the city centre began on Tuesday.
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 29-01-2014 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, people are starting to link it with Claudia Lawrence who went missing almost 5 years ago.

She has been discussed on here also.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18742
PostPosted: 29-01-2014 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feeling seems to be that she has fallen into the river after some heavy drinking, rather than being the victim of a crime. Seems plausible. Very sad anyway.
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 30-01-2014 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

What puzzles me is that they have not got a reason from the 4 other people on the cctv as to why she left the group.
drbastardOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 570
PostPosted: 30-01-2014 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisBoardman wrote:
What puzzles me is that they have not got a reason from the 4 other people on the cctv as to why she left the group.

They were pissed up students, they may not have noticed, or assumed she'd gone off to be on her own.

There's been a number of canal deaths lately here in Bath. I am wondering why this is-perhaps the younger generation have never developed a healthy fear of deep water?

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/improved-river-safety-city-student-s-death/story-20525985-detail/story.html
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1696
PostPosted: 30-01-2014 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem to be a disturbingly regular occurrence... wouldn't fancy my chances in the Ouse after some of the rainfall we've been having up here lately.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18742
PostPosted: 30-01-2014 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

As discussed elsewhere on here, young men're sometimes prone to drowning when drunk because they're drawn to open water, often to urinate into it.

If they fall in and drown they are usually found with valuables intact, no serious injuries (maybe a bruise or some post-mortem damage from debris in the water) and the clincher, open flies.

Drunken women don't seem to have this urge, for obvious reasons, but some are still attracted to water.

I can remember deciding to cut through a swollen brook instead of finding the footbridge myself a few decades ago after a good night.
Luckily I realised in time how cold and wet I'd be and took the long way round instead. Could easily have fallen over and drowned, which hadn't occurred to me in my intoxication. What an idiot. Embarassed
chris138Offline
Cretin
Total posts: 155
PostPosted: 30-01-2014 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbastard wrote:
ChrisBoardman wrote:

They were pissed up students, they may not have noticed, or assumed she'd gone off to be on her own.

There's been a number of canal deaths lately here in Bath. I am wondering why this is-perhaps the younger generation have never developed a healthy fear of deep water?

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/improved-river-safety-city-student-s-death/story-20525985-detail/story.html

Here too. It does seem to happen a lot in bad weather. Sad indeed.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/body-identified-as-missing-ballymena-woman-1-5837653[/b]
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2844
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbastard wrote:
ChrisBoardman wrote:

Obligatory... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPMYRlvySY
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was scarier on an old black and white telly with p*ss poor reception. Laughing
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 07-02-2014 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that nothing has happened on this, surely if she fell in they would have found a body by now?
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
PostPosted: 07-02-2014 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rain's been pretty steady up here the last few weeks, I guess it's being washed along... somewhere. Not really the best circumstances to be looking.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6272
PostPosted: 07-02-2014 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisBoardman wrote:
I'm surprised that nothing has happened on this, surely if she fell in they would have found a body by now?

There was a similar case in my own extended family. It took several weeks for the body to be recovered. The urination explanation is sometimes heard but the university connection leaves open the possibility of pranks near water - more or less malicious - which go terribly wrong.

Suggesting that one day, someone's conscience might drive him to reveal the truth was not of much comfort to the parents, I found.

edit, 9:07 pm:
But to return to the current case . . .

Megan Roberts' gender tends to rule out the urination and horse-play scenarios. Sad
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 03-03-2014 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

body found....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2571557/Police-recover-womans-body-river-five-miles-student-Megan-Roberts-disappeared-night-out.html
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
PostPosted: 05-03-2014 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by what little I saw of the early morning news today, another one has gone in. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Mainstream News Stories All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: