Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Swallowed up by the ground... Sinkholes!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25304
PostPosted: 19-02-2014 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It is directly above a mine shaft.."

I'd be inclined to put this in 'Underground'. My working definition for a sinkhole is that it is mainly caused by water eroding and dissolving soft rocks, usually sedimentary.

Mine shafts are man-made, although the final collapse of one might be triggered by the weight of wet ground bearing down on it. And mines are often dug in hard rock, often of igneous origin, which doesn't erode or dissolve so easily.

But some cases are not so easy to identify. Mines have been dug in sedimentary rock, for chalk or flint (or even coal!), so finally an expert will have to opine whether a hole is a sinkhole or a collapsed mine-working.
SameOldVardoger
Great Old One
PostPosted: 19-02-2014 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
"It is directly above a mine shaft.."

I'd be inclined to put this in 'Underground'. My working definition for a sinkhole is that it is mainly caused by water eroding and dissolving soft rocks, usually sedimentary.

Mine shafts are man-made, although the final collapse of one might be triggered by the weight of wet ground bearing down on it. And mines are often dug in hard rock, often of igneous origin, which doesn't erode or dissolve so easily.

But some cases are not so easy to identify. Mines have been dug in sedimentary rock, for chalk or flint (or even coal!), so finally an expert will have to opine whether a hole is a sinkhole or a collapsed mine-working.

The Bayou Corne sinkhole is above a salt mine. They have been waiting one and a half year for it to collapse completely. Still it only devours some trees once in a while.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 20-02-2014 08:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinkholes are deep holes that suddenly open up on the surface. I don't think that what's underneath the hole, making it happen, actually matters so much. Smile
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-02-2014 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
Sinkholes are deep holes that suddenly open up on the surface. I don't think that what's underneath the hole, making it happen, actually matters so much. Smile

One is essentially man made, while the other is produced by nature.

The distinction is important if rescue or repair work is needed, because the workers need to know exactly what they are dealing with. In particular, how dangerous the hole still is. Shoring up a mine in hard rock is simpler and safer than trying the same thing in soft rock country.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 20-02-2014 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Pietro_Mercurios wrote:

One is essentially man made, while the other is produced by nature.

The distinction is important if rescue or repair work is needed, because the workers need to know exactly what they are dealing with. In particular, how dangerous the hole still is. Shoring up a mine in hard rock is simpler and safer than trying the same thing in soft rock country.

Well, yes. But the business end on the surface would still be a, sinkhole. Smile
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-02-2014 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The business end of a sinkhole is underground, sometimes deep underground. The processes of erosion and and dissolving carries on as long as there is slightly acidic water available, so sinkholes continue to grow, getting deeper and more extensive.

The hole at the surface is a secondary effect, created when the ground falls into the void below. Wink
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 20-02-2014 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just the cause of the sinkhole. Laughing
ramonmercadoOnline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20686
PostPosted: 20-02-2014 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop digging Ryn.
krakentenOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 422
PostPosted: 21-02-2014 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hole is a hole,is a hole.

That's the whole of the matter, the whole truth,the whole thing in a nutshell. Truth shall make us whole.

There's a whole lot of shaking going on! A whole lot of sinking, too!

BASTA!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 08:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's in a class of its own...

Crawley leaking sewer pipe forces A23 closure

Part of a major road in West Sussex will be shut for the rest of the week after a hole was caused by a leaking sewer pipe.
The hole appeared on a section of the A23 north of the[?] Crawley on Sunday.

The road has been shut northbound between the Fleming Way and Lowfield Heath roundabouts for repairs.
Thames Water said it was working with West Sussex County Council and the emergency services to put diversions in place.
"The closure is expected to last beyond this week while investigations continue," the spokesman said.
"We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and will open the road as soon as it is safe to do so."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-26937118

...it's a Stinkhole! Cool
kamalktkOnline
Great Old One
Total posts: 950
PostPosted: 26-04-2014 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one hole was large enough to swallow a kid, but the other two look to be 15-20 cm or so across.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte/michigan-city/mount-baldy-to-remain-closed-this-summer-as-holes-mystery/article_ec203a71-c7a9-5e17-b8db-b3e0ee3ed6c8.html

Mount Baldy to remain closed this summer as holes mystery persists

MICHIGAN CITY | Officials at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore announced Thursday that scientists still do not know what caused holes to appear in Mount Baldy last summer, and the popular attraction will remain closed for further study.

Nathan Woessner, 6, of Sterling, Ill., was swallowed by a hole July 12 and rescued by firefighters.

Two additional holes have appeared since July, park officials said Thursday.

Ground penetrating radar studies performed by the Environmental Protection Agency have identified a large number of anomalies below the dune’s surface, but scientists from the National Park Service, Indiana University and the Indiana Geological Survey still do not know how these holes were formed.

“Mount Baldy is one of the most visited sites in the national lakeshore, attracting thousands of visitors each year” said Acting Superintendent Garry Traynham in a press release. “But the continued development of these holes in the dune surface poses a serious risk to the public. Our first obligation must be to the welfare of our visitors who are here for an enjoyable outing.”

The two additional holes and a number of depressions have been found since July. Officials said the holes are short-lived, remaining open for less than 24 hours before collapsing and filling in naturally with surrounding sand.

Officials at the national lakeshore on Thursday announced more testing will be conducted this summer. That work will include mapping of openings and depressions, as well as scientific studies of the internal architecture of the dune.

Park workers will continue planting marram grass on portions of Mount Baldy where the native dune grass used to grow. The extensive root system of the grass holds sand in place and may also help prevent holes from opening up on the dune’s surface, officials said.

All other beach access areas within the national lakeshore remain open.
krakentenOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 422
PostPosted: 06-05-2014 04:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore had another 'sinkhole', and your 'umble correspondent was johnny- at- the- rat-hole!

It happened about a mile from my house, and I know the area quite well. Having once been a working journalist, I felt obliged to ramble down there and see what I might see.

It was no sinkhole-it was a landslide. There's video, and you can see how the slope gave way. People who lived on 26th Street had been asking for some action for years-there was a pronounced slant to the pavement that had been increasing for years.

That tunnel is very important, when that one is out of service, rail freight stands still on the east coast, it's a major choke point. Some real inconvenience(Sir Toppem Hat would have said it 'upset the arrangements')came years ago when there was a serious fire in another part of that same tunnel. The railroad sent earth moving machines(finally) and had service restored in jig time.

What will become of 26th Street, I cannot say. The homes are close to the tracks, and may have been damaged. Time will tell.

Thank God for no injuries or loss of life. We'll miss the parking places, though.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 30-05-2014 07:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
A quiet suburban street in Hemel Hempstead.
Quote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/homes-evacuated-after-giant-sinkhole-opens-up-in-hemel-hempstead-9130618.html

Homes evacuated after giant sinkhole opens up in Hemel Hempstead

Police say chasm is 20ft deep and 35ft wide

Hemel Hempstead hole: Work to take "three more months"

Residents made homeless nearly four months ago when a large hole appeared in a Hemel Hempstead street have been told it could be three more months before they can return.

The hole, about 35ft (9m) wide and 20ft (6m) deep, opened up in Oatridge Gardens on 15 February.
A housing association said remedial work to strengthen the ground had taken "longer than expected".
Residents said it was "nice to have a bit of honesty".

Six days after the hole appeared it was filled with foamed concrete and investigation shafts were drilled around the estate to discover the size of the problem.

The Hightown Praetorian and Churches Housing Association (HPCHA) said that of the 48 houses on the estate, 15 households were living in their homes.
Fourteen are in rented accommodation organised by HPCHA and the insurer's loss adjuster and four are staying with families and friends.
The association said it was working with the remaining 15 households still in hotel accommodation to find more suitable temporary accommodation, if they wanted it.

A spokeswoman said it had been difficult for the contractor to estimate the timescale for completion of the works.
"Hightown has advised [residents] it could be up to three months before the utilities are restored," she said.
"This is being stated in good faith but may vary."

David Ketley, who has been living in a hotel, said residents kept being given dates to move back but those deadlines were not being met.
"The news [about three months] is not great - I think it was expected given all the issues they have had but it was nice to have a bit of honesty," he said.

Preliminary investigations by an engineering geologist have shown the hole was probably caused by mining in the area a century ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-27631497
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: