Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Electric Ghost?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncontomOffline
Grey
Total posts: 4
PostPosted: 18-02-2014 18:56    Post subject: Electric Ghost? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have been an avid reader for many years. I just wanted to share a story that happened to me just last week and get your thoughts?

I fell asleep on the sofa in my flat one night last week. I work night shifts so when I come off a long run my sleep pattern is often quite disturbed.

I must have dozed off on the sofa around midnight and was wrapped in a blanket. My partner went to bed and was asleep in the bedroom.

I was in a very deep sleep, but was awoken a few hours later by only what I can describe as a series of extremely loud and sudden electrical noises... i think I counted 4 of them, one after the other.

They were definitely external noises (i.e. not coming from my dreams or within my head). I know this as the noises woke me with a start.

I can only describe the sound as a kind of powerful manifestation of electricity. Almost like a science fiction sound effect. If one imagines the noise the machine made to wake Frankenstein? Or perhaps a creepy hotel name sign that short circuits in horror movies?

The noise was truly terrifying and it really shook me up - especially as I woke with a start. I looked around the dark room for a while but couldn't see anything. Also it is worth to note that I couldn't see any sign of electrical fault. There were electronic devices turned on at the time etc.

I spoke to a psychic I i know about the incident and they seem to think that it could be a spirit trying to contact me? But I'm not so sure?

Has anyone heard of anything similar? Or have any thoughts?

Regards x
EnolaGaiaOnline
Total posts: 1615
PostPosted: 18-02-2014 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be more specific about the sounds? A 'zzzzzt' arcing sound? A thunderclap? A pop? (etc.)
uncontomOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 18-02-2014 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course, it was like a Zzzzzzt, 4 of them in quick succession, one after the other...
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10598
PostPosted: 18-02-2014 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light switch arcing? I have one that does that - I need to replace it.
uncontomOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 18-02-2014 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think so. There were no lights on and there is nothing wrong with any switches or electrical devices in the lounge. It was about 3:30 in the morning.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25624
PostPosted: 18-02-2014 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stormy weather last week included thunder storms. If not lightning from the storm itself, maybe it was a secondary electrical effect like the ones that sometimes overload power circuits. Was all your electrical/electronic equipment OK afterwards?

EDIT: Did any clocks need resetting?
uncontomOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 19-02-2014 02:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

No honestly, no electrical faults or anything wrong with any equipment whatsoever. I'm confident the noise did not come from any wires or appliances. Has anyone heard of spirits manifesting themselves in this way before?
EnolaGaiaOnline
Total posts: 1615
PostPosted: 19-02-2014 03:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

What electronic devices were 'on' at the time?

More specifically - did any of them have a speaker, buzzer, or any other sound-producing component?
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10598
PostPosted: 19-02-2014 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me a bit of a fridge I had years ago.
Very occasionally, it would make a loud cracking/crackling noise, and it appeared to project the sound in such a way that it seemed close by (even though it was in another room).
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 491
PostPosted: 19-02-2014 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika fridges can make weird noises if there is an ice build up on the fan. an electrician told me to turn it off for 24 hours and that fixed it.
I was able to tell the same thing to an online friend who thought his late wife was haunting him with knocks and weird noises in the night. he turned off the fridge and it stopped.
marionXXXOffline
Un-Gnoing
Total posts: 2969
PostPosted: 20-02-2014 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear noises like that often, they wake me up and I can still hear them when I'm sure I'm awake but they are just hypnopompic noises.
PeteByrdieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 338
PostPosted: 20-02-2014 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was no evidence of any actual electrical fault or activity, and the noise seemed to wake you with a start, I have to go with a hypnopompic effect. It just makes more sense than anything else. If there was no evidence of anything electrical that could have made the noise, then all you have really is a noise that happens to have sounded like something electrical. As nothing else in the room, besides the interior of your own noggin, is likely to have been able to make such a loud noise, your noggin is probably where you should expect to find the cause. If it happens again at a time when you're wide awake, or other events in the home make you suspect a haunting, I would certainly reassess my thoughts. Sorry, Uncontom, because I don't like telling people I doubt their own assessment of their experiences, and I don't doubt the experience you had was real to you, and I accept you were there and I wasn't. But I've had some pretty convincing hypnopompic hallucinations in my life, which in my youth I took for granted were real in some way.
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 297
PostPosted: 25-02-2014 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, do you have a fairly modern television and is it in the room where you were asleep?
I posted this elsewhere some time ago, but briefly, I was sleeping in our living room one night and our television switched itself on and off several times at exactly 3 AM, except there was no picture. I nearly sh@t myself.
Turns out that many modern televisions do this occasionally and always at about that time to recieve (software?) updates. I wish they didn't though.
Could it have been that?
From then on I unplugged it if I slept downstairs Laughing
LazarusMPOffline
Grey
Total posts: 19
PostPosted: 16-03-2014 07:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility...

I assume that there were various speakers in the room, but did you have a cellular phone in there as well? When a mobile 'handshakes' with the local tower (even if the phone is idling) it can cause various odd interference noises in nearby speakers, usually somewhat rhythmic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: