Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
So we have moved house
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 296
PostPosted: 23-01-2014 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escargot's elusive drip sounds really odd - wouldn't fancy that in my place Shocked Would love to know what it is.

Things quiet at our place - getting to know the neighbours - next door have been there for 27 years. People don't seem to move away much. As I may have said the people we bought off were here for 24 years.

Just one small thing, mrs 544 is a light sleeper, we both are but she is more so. She has woken me up several times to ask what I am doing (Ooo er missus) Thinking that I am awake and poking about round the room, which I have not been. It just occured to me that the previous people used what is now our room as a spare room and slept in the smaller room that we did not think really lent itself as a main bedroom. Don't know why that was.
I have to maintain the point that neither us or anyone who comes to the house have anything to say except how warm and welcoming it is. Our Daughter and a work colleague slept there the other night to look after the animals as we were away, Our Daughter slept in our room, and as far as I can tell there were no rattling chains.
As I said, I will keep an open mind. I don't want us to be haunted but we seemed to be in our old (but newer) house on and off to no ill effect so we'll see how it goes..........
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 134
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the previous people used what is now our room as a spare room and slept in the smaller room that we did not think really lent itself as a main bedroom. Don't know why that was.

There could be a quite mundane reason, but I also wonder why!

I have read reports of people living in old houses with ghosts and calling them 'friends' so I think it is possible that a place can be haunted but not have a bad atmosphere - and then you sometimes hear of houses where everywhere was pleasant except this one room/passage .

Thank-you for keeping us updated. Your house does sound lovely!
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 25-02-2014 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick up date here, all quiet. We have had several overnight visits from family & friends and everyone who has stayed has commented on how well they slept and what a nice atmosphere the house has. I have to stay away from home quite a lot for work, and my wife does not have any problems being alone overnight.
One night recently our elderly Border terrier woke us up barking which is very unusual. We went down to see him and he settled back down quickly. He knows not to make a fuss unnecessarily so must have been disturbed by something. I doubt it was anything sinister though.
A thought just occured to me. Our old house was built in the mid 30's and had only one family in it before we moved there in 1991. We had loads of strange things happen most of which I have mentioned elsewhere here over time. Whenever we made major changes in the early days there would be an oddity upsurge.
Our present house was built around 1600 as far as we can tell. Maybe the history is soooo long that any activity is diluted with time. Like why would any residual past resident from say, the 1930's be bothered about what happens when there is so much history before THEIR time? I hope that makes sense.
AMPHIARAUS
PostPosted: 26-02-2014 00:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current home (15 years) had the drip and even the occasional inexplicable small puddle. Once it realised I wasn't going to act on the wind up it kind of gave up.
Mind you it wasn't just drips, nothing dangerous but getting goose bumps just reflecting on it Sad
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 18-03-2014 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last Saturday we thought we had entered the world of oddness at last Shocked
First we were having lunch in the dining room when we heard a loud thump from the living room. My wife has a large (full size) ornamental hat made from coloured glass. (actually looks nicer than it sounds Wink ) Which lives on top of a low chest of drawers. This was now laying on the floor in front of and about 3 feet away from the chest of drawers. The right way up and undamaged. We think it was the cats that did it somehow, but could not believe it did not break. The floor is carpeted.
Then while having dinner later there was a crash from the kitchen. A small mirror had fallen off the wall. this too was not damaged in any way. On inspection we found the cord on the back of the mirror was fitted very flimsily and would have given way eventually although we have had it for about a year.
So a bit alarming, but quiet ever since.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14755
PostPosted: 18-03-2014 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're haunted by the spirit of... gravity!
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 19-03-2014 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
You're haunted by the spirit of... gravity!

Or, given that we were eating a meal on both occasions - Gravy-ty

I'll get my coat...............
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14755
PostPosted: 20-03-2014 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravy-tea? Wait, that doesn't sound very nice.
drbatesOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 527
PostPosted: 20-03-2014 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Gravy-tea? Wait, that doesn't sound very nice.

Thats BOVRIL, you muppet Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: