Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Money from out of the blue...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 135
PostPosted: 24-02-2014 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

BunnymouseKitt - well that is fascinating. I enjoyed reading that! I hope you continue to find 'money signs'.

@Spookdaddy - I give you a thumbs-up for that, too.

I try and be extra, extra polite to people who have to 'serve' the public in any way, hoping it'll make up for those who are obnoxious. I've worked in call centres, and it was always a relief to talk to people who were polite.

I've only once found paper money lying around, and it was on a path with no-one around, but will find ten pence pieces and sometimes more quite often when me and the OH are walking the dog. We say 'Thank-you, money-angel', and it goes in to the next collection tin we see.

My (deceased) stepfather said that one night in the 80's (before he met my mother) he'd been out with some friends for a drink. He's been out of work after redundancy for some time, and was broke, but though his friends had bought him drinks knowing his situation, he was too proud to ask for any change to get the last bus home, so he walked. He was depressed, really on his uppers, and a bit teary, so he asked his long-dead father if he could have a bit of help.

It was a dark night, and quite windy, and as he was walking something blew under his foot; he stepped on it, and because it was substantial (and stuck to his foot) he pulled it off. It was £500 in one of those plastic money bags, rolled up tight in a rubber band. He was pretty lucky like that; he was always finding money, or would put a little bit in a fruit machine and win loads - but he would just keep it, not put it back.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26633
PostPosted: 26-02-2014 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be the ultimate in 'found money' stories:

Saddle Ridge Hoard: Buried gold coin stash 'worth $10m
[video: 'The coins were in uncirculated, mint condition, adding to their worth to collectors]

A California couple found a stash of gold coins buried on their property last year valued at as much as $10m (£6m), rare coin dealers have said.

The 1,427 coins, which date from 1847-1894, were never circulated and are in mint condition, numismatist David Hall told the Associated Press.

The unnamed couple found them buried in rusting metal cans under a tree while on a walk last April.

It is seen as the largest haul of buried treasure in US history.

"We've seen shipwrecks in the past where thousands of gold coins were found in very high grade, but a buried treasure of this sort is unheard of," David McCarthy of currency firm Kagin's, who is advising the couple, told Reuters news agency.
"I've never seen this face value in North America and you never see coins in the condition we have here."

The couple live in a rural area of California known as Gold Country for the swarms of prospectors who descended on the region during the 19th Century gold rush.
They found the coins in an area of their land they called Saddle Ridge, and the coin dealers who have seen the haul have taken to calling it the Saddle Ridge Hoard.
It is a mystery who buried the coins - and why.

Mr Hall of Professional Coin Grading Service of Santa Ana, California, which recently authenticated the coins, told the Associated Press the coins' face value adds up to about $27,000. But some of the coins are so rare they could sell for $1m each Shocked

The couple plan to sell the coins on Amazon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26349136
RonnorOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 126
PostPosted: 19-04-2014 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a strange occurrence in bed this morning. I woke up lying stretched out on my front with my left hand under the pillow - not an unusual position for me. As I started to get out of bed, I moved my hand and felt something cold and hard under the pillow. I was a bit Shocked at this development and when I lifted the pillow I found an Icelandic 1 Krona coin. Now I've been to Iceland once a few years ago but I'm sure I don't have any Icelandic money in the house, let alone any Krona coins. The thing was freezing cold like it hadn't been under the pillow long and I'm about to turn 30 so I'm a bit old for a visit from the tooth fairy. I'm at work just now but I put the coin on my bedside table before I left. I'm half expecting it to be gone when I get home tonight....
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9794
PostPosted: 19-04-2014 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnor wrote:
I had a strange occurrence in bed this morning. I woke up lying stretched out on my front with my left hand under the pillow - not an unusual position for me. As I started to get out of bed, I moved my hand and felt something cold and hard under the pillow. I was a bit Shocked at this development and when I lifted the pillow I found an Icelandic 1 Krona coin. Now I've been to Iceland once a few years ago but I'm sure I don't have any Icelandic money in the house, let alone any Krona coins. The thing was freezing cold like it hadn't been under the pillow long and I'm about to turn 30 so I'm a bit old for a visit from the tooth fairy. I'm at work just now but I put the coin on my bedside table before I left. I'm half expecting it to be gone when I get home tonight....

Perhaps the Icelandic fairies felt sorry for you...and teleported a coin directly from the cold wastelands of Iceland? Smile
RonnorOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 126
PostPosted: 19-04-2014 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just got in from work and the mystery coin is still there on my bedside table, a bit disappointing really!
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1491
PostPosted: 22-04-2014 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnor wrote:
Well I've just got in from work and the mystery coin is still there on my bedside table, a bit disappointing really!

Only disappointing until a new one appears.
KencoOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 01-09-2014 19:36    Post subject: money Reply with quote

I have a reputation amongst my friends for picking up coins in pubs when we're having a night out. They find it embarrassing - not that I care.

In the last two years I've twice found a £10 note when out walking in the evening. Both were very close to each other. The first time it happened felt strange. I was walking down a quiet road when I saw a £10 note just lying flat on the grass verge by the side of the road. It looked as if someone had deliberately put it there, as it wasn't folded up. I actually looked around to see if anyone was watching, as it felt so fake. Nobody was, so I picked it up and took it home. I decided to invest the money on ten lucky dips on the national lottery and donate any profit to charity. Sadly, I didn't win anything.

About two months I was walking along the same road. About 200 metres away from the first location, I spotted another £10 in the road. This one was folded up though. I could imagine it falling out of someone's pocket. It's still on the kitchen table at the moment as I don't want to spend it as it's not mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: