Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Modern art is rubbish?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Mainstream News Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 06-12-2009 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a really interesting talk on Theo van Doesburg, Barney Bubbles and Pop Culture, in Leiden, today and had a look around an exhibition on Van Doesberg, Mondriaan, Van Rietberg, De Stijl, Constructionism Dada and the Bauhaus Movement, at the Museum de Lakenhal.

http://www.lakenhal.nl/en/index.php

London artist and graphic designer, Barney Bubbles, was heavily influenced by Van Doesburg and modern art in general. He designed memorable record sleeves for everyone, from Hawkwind to Ian Dury and Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

http://www.barneybubbles.com/blog/

Not rubbish, at all. Great stuff! yeay
MoookstaOffline
Muppet
Total posts: 1757
PostPosted: 20-01-2010 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Ghostvillage Project

The Ghostvillage Project was created over 3 days on the west coast of Scotland. 6 artists - Timid, Remi/Rough, System, Stormie Mills, Juice 126, Derm - were given free reign to paint in an abandoned 1970s village. Working together on huge collaborative walls and individually in hidden nooks and crannies all over the site the artists realised long held dreams and were inspired by the bleakness and remoteness of the site. Drawing on the history of the village the artists' stated intent on completion of the project was to populate the Ghostvillage with the art and characters that it deserved.

Short film about it. Little timelapse in it and nice photography too.

As PM above, I quite like it. Might be a bit strange if you were walking and wandered into the place.
colinbaker32Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 219
PostPosted: 21-01-2010 08:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this for a work of art....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1169119/Work-art-monstrous-cynicism-Convicted-paedophile-creates-extraordinary-paper-sculpture-bid-win-freedom.html

shame the artist was murderer colin pitchfork
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26148
PostPosted: 06-11-2011 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1m modern art installation wrecked after cleaner thought it needed a good scrub
By Leon Watson
Last updated at 5:26 PM on 4th November 2011

A piece of modern art valued at £700,000 was damaged after an overzealous cleaning woman scrubbed away at it.
Martin Kippenberger's 'When it Starts Dripping from the Ceiling', which is currently on display in Germany, included a rubber trough with a layer of paint on it.
The paint was meant to look like a rain puddle, and was placed under a stacked tower of wooden slats.

But when the female cleaner saw the dirty looking bucket she thought it needed a wash and got out her marigolds. Cool
The work by the German-born artist, who died in 1997, remains in place at Dortmund's Ostwall Museum, despite the damage sustained earlier this month.

It was on loan to the museum from a private collector, who agreed it should stay on display despite the incident, said Dortmund city spokeswoman Dagmar Papajewski.
In the meantime, insurance adjusters are assessing the damage.

It has not yet been decided whether the patina would be restored, or if the artwork would be left in its newly 'cleaned' condition, Ms Papajewski said.
'It will be up to the collector to decide,' she said. 'We can't consult Kippenberger about it.'

Papajewski said the company that employed the cleaning staff had instructed them to stay at least 8in away from the artwork and it was not clear why the patina had fallen victim to the woman's scrubbing brush.
'This company has been working with us since last October,' Ms Papajewski said.

Kippenberger's works have been displayed at New York's Museum of Modern Art and London's Tate Modern.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057696/700k-modern-art-installation-wrecked-cleaner-thought-needed-good-scrub.html#ixzz1cwB73lMP
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9657
PostPosted: 06-11-2011 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gallery could have quite easily stayed quiet and got an art restorer to fix it up - nobody would have been any the wiser.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13639
PostPosted: 25-02-2014 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binned artwork claims 'exaggerated'

Quote:
The curator of an exhibition in Italy where artwork was unwittingly thrown away by a cleaner has said claims surrounding the incident are false.

It was reported last week works made of newspaper and cardboard were binned after they were mistaken for rubbish at the show at Sala Murat in Bari.

However curator Ala Roushan denied the claim, saying the pieces had yet to be unpacked from cardboard boxes.

"The actual work was not seen by the cleaning lady," she told the BBC.

"There were a few artworks sitting alongside the exhibition space to be installed the morning of the exhibition.

"It's false the work was made of newspaper and cardboard - [it] was only packed in cardboard and there was a vinyl piece that was rolled [inside].

"The cleaning lady thought she was throwing away cardboard and disposed of it."

Ms Roushan criticised media coverage of the incident, saying she and co-curator Federico Del Vecchio of Flip Project Space had been shocked by the reports, which had "swirled out of control".

"The media attention has now become completely irrelevant and exaggerated in relation to the event itself," she said.

"The loss is minimal in comparison to the scale of our exhibition - which included the work of 59 artists, writers and curators - the majority of which were unharmed.

She added: "It has also become an opportunity for some people to express their criticism toward contemporary art - that contemporary art has become unrecognisable to the point of seeming like garbage."

Ms Roushan would not confirm which pieces were thrown out, adding she was currently in talks with the affected artists and their galleries.

The artworks were estimated to be worth around 10,000 euros (£8,200).

Chiarissima, the cleaning company hired by Sala Murat, said its insurance would cover the loss.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13075
PostPosted: 26-02-2014 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, it makes more sense than the anti-art snobbery version in the media last week.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 26-02-2014 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure! Very Happy

I LOVE abstract and experimental art. Cool
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13075
PostPosted: 27-02-2014 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, the way I see it if you don't experiment with art, even if the results are disappointing, we might as well have stuck with endless pietas or, I dunno, cave paintings of hunting.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 27-02-2014 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with it (or with experimental music, or dance or whatever) as I was brought up with art.

However, my late father never got modern art. Give him the Old Masters any day!
He was very artistic and could paint and draw and all sorts, and could pick up any instrument and wring a tune out of it, but show him something non-representational and he'd grumble 'That's not art! ANYONE could do that! I could do that!' Evil or Very Mad

But you didn't, did you, Dad? Laughing

The thing about the abstract is that you can suddenly get it. I've seen this happen with people and it is quite beautiful. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Mainstream News Stories All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: