Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Scariest fortean thing that has ever happened to you
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we like that one.

Welcome to the board
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 135
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxton_Spaume, welcome and thank-you for that.
You seem not to have had any kind of bad feeling when you were on the ground floor, at that desk? you said you looked at it with nostalgia.

Had there been companies in the building prior, or anything on the land it was built on, would you know?

(I worked in a place which seems a bit similar. I heard footsteps walking past me in a place no-one was except me, but never saw anything. (I can't say I was ever really frightened, either)
Other people heard footsteps running up the stairs to the second floor and doors were slammed open, and the boss said he twice saw a dark haired woman's face with a cameo around her neck staring at him from out of the mirror in the toilets. Your post reminded me a bit of that).

I would really like to hear about the inner voice that you had learned to listen to.
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1489
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxton_Spaume wrote:
They came in in silence, sat down in silence, and began to work. Both were pale and sweating, and a little twitchy. I questioned them, and they had both experienced exactly the same thing that I did. Remember, I had told nobody – there can’t have been any expectations there. We agreed we would never speak of it again.

Fascinating.

However, the room needs to be checked for physical problems: gas and/or wiring could be at fault. You were terrified and broke out in a cold sweat and your subordinates were pale and sweating you said. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has read your message would like you to be safe: the occult can scare you, but rarely does any physical harm; the everyday world contains hazards that can kill you.
Foxton_SpaumeOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, thanks for the kind words.

I had been in that office for about six years by that time, and had never noticed anything untoward. Indeed, the vast majority of my experiences there were happy and carefree; as a workforce we were mainly ex-students from local universities who had taken part-time work there in an attempt to supplement our student loans etc. Most of us stayed on beyond graduation, but we never quite got to the point where the whole thing became serious - we were treated as casual staff (even when in quite senior positions) so that's how we behaved.

SHAYBARSABE: the building was quite safe - properly certified and everything - as I say, a fairly new build and in very good repair.

FANARI: As far as I'm aware, the company I worked for were the second tenant in our suite of offices. We would pass the time with people from the other three companies - nothing was ever mentioned in terms of the unit having a 'history', so to speak.

I walked onto the ground floor the day after my 'encounter' and, in spite of some trepidation, found nothing amiss. Still didn't like going down there during the evening shifts though. The only thing that has stayed with me is a memory of that feeling of terror; I've never experienced anything quite so intense, not even while watching through my wing-mirror as a lorry's wheel nuts ground their way along the length of my car.

All of these incidents occurred between July and late October of the same year.
Whilst we kept our experiences to ourselves (after my initial reaction, I had become curious to see if anyone else would be affected - I didn't want to create any suggestions that might influence others), the others were public knowledge - one of our more senior colleagues started talking about how 'wrong' the place was, and made some less than veiled suggestions that it had been built on a pauper's graveyard - unconsecrated ground and all that. Seemed a bit too 'Poltergeist' for me, so I did some digging. What I found was that the only previous use recorded for the site that I could discover had been as an air-raid shelter for a sponge factory around the corner, certainly no pauper's graves. What still perplexes me, and I'm hesitant to draw any conclusions from this, is that on October 24 1940 the shelter had taken a direct hit resulting in the death of 25 people.
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 135
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 09:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What still perplexes me, and I'm hesitant to draw any conclusions from this, is that on October 24 1940 the shelter had taken a direct hit resulting in the death of 25 people.

Well, there would probably be a feeling of terror (I don't know, as people going to air-raid shelters got to be common, but surely they were always afraid, not blase about it?

People often speculate about places being built on graveyards if there is something 'not right' about it. (I am not sure why graveyards crop up, as I find them peaceful places. I think a place associated with violent death would be more likely to 'absorb' fear).

But there are other reasons just as likely for oppressive atmospheres, and I think an air-raid shelter where people died would definitely be one of them.
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 211
PostPosted: 02-02-2014 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very spooky Foxton! You know I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen all the time on your side of the puddle, what with all of the history packed into every square foot, er meter! Very interesting, thanks.
PlagueRiderOffline
Afro-plated Abomination
Total posts: 258
PostPosted: 28-02-2014 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the scariest experiences I've had occurred when trying to find King John's Castle in Odiham, UK. A friend and I were struggling as it was late at night, and we happened upon a car park fashioned from yellow stone - I'm not sure on the actual term, but the road is built from small clumps of rock and it all has a yellow tint to it.

Anyway, we were looking for a place to park and this particular area was completely desolate. We stopped, and a sudden sense of horror descended upon us both. We couldn't see anything around us, as there were no lights and it was pitch black, but we both had the unnerving fear that something bad would happen if we got out of the car. Understandably, we turned round and headed for somewhere else.

When we did find a spot to park, I had the horrible sensation of being watched as we journeyed down the nearby canal. It felt like something was behind us, and I couldn't bear to look. I can't remember if I asked my friend if he thought the same thing, but he is always prone to freaking out other things easier than I do.

Strangely, being at the castle ruins was the most serene part of the night.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 01-03-2014 01:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

A classical 'Pan-ic'. Perhaps, the castle represented ancient order and the car park, modern chaos?
AlexeOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 03-03-2014 02:02    Post subject: The Pink Lady of The Rocks Reply with quote

If you've been to Sydney, you would know an area called The Rocks, the site of the earliest European settlement. In the backstreets of this area are some excavated houses, which are probably the tiniest, most narrow things you'd see.
A few centuries ago, the area was the haunt of a gang called The Rocks Push, push being an informal name for a gang anywhere at the time. They killed men and children, but never women, and it was in front of tiny houses that they assaulted both a sailor and then a boy who saw them.
It turned out they killed both a son and a father, and the houses are said to be haunted by 'the pink lady', the wife and mother of the victims.

A couple of strange things have happened to me there. I took some photographs on my phone of the area, and as I'm walking away, I felt a push. I was wearing a backpack and I distinctly felt it push against my back. Evidently, she didn't like taking photographs of her house.
I didn't learn my lesson and too another walk down to The Rocks and her house one day. Didn't take any pictures, just walked around. It was hot, and I was wiping my face with my handkerchief. About ten minutes after I left her house, I was still wiping my face, and I put my handkerchief back in my pocket to visit a museum in The Rocks.
I come out of said museum, and the handkerchief is gone. Vanished. I had it in my hand, I clearly put it in my back pocket (it was crumpled and wet, so I remember it), and now gone.
I walked back out to the main street, a bit confused. Feeling a bit miffed, I loudly apologised to the ghost! I apologised for my past actions and turned around.
The handkerchief was on the ground behind me. I knew for certain it didn't blow there. I went and picked it up. It was flat on the ground, not crumpled as it would have been if it was dumped on the ground-it had seemingly been folded and deliberately placed there, by someone who was poor, but nonetheless gentle enough to accept an apology. There was another thing about it. It was completely dry. Last I saw it, it had been soaked with perspiration.
Bulldog1Offline
Grey
Total posts: 28
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 02:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly scary but certainly freaky and to this day, unexplained....

I was about 12 and used to help out at a farm nearby. The farmer, now sadly deceased, and myself were walking up the bank having just returned the cows to their field after milking. It was warm and about 6pm in the evening. The track we were on had a moderate incline and a bend at the top.
As we rounded the bend there was something hovering in front of us. Imagine a sphere of 'heat haze' but perfectly formed, the objects around it were not distorted at all. It was only there for a few seconds at which point it disappeared with a 'woosh' of air... Keith said 'WTF was that?' and both of us were left standing there wondering if we'd actually seen anything at all. It seemed to me that we had disturbed 'it' and it couldn't get away fast enough.

I've been through all the scenario's and I can not explain it to this day almost 40 years later...
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9657
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound pretty freaky! Shocked

It also sounds like it was alive, whatever it was.
ramonmercadoOnline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21385
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scariest Fortean thing that ever happened to me was arguing with Fortean smokers.
Stu73Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 261
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Scariest Fortean thing that ever happened to me was arguing with Fortean smokers.

MEOW!!! as we speak, i'm organizing my wing of the Smokers (Heavy) Institute of Tobacco Smokers (SHITS for short) to come and camp on your lawn. Laughing
ramonmercadoOnline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21385
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu73 wrote:
Quote:

MEOW!!! as we speak, i'm organizing my wing of the Smokers (Heavy) Institute of Tobacco Smokers (SHITS for short) to come and camp on your lawn. Laughing

Yes, you would be the camp types.

Bet you use a cigarette-holder.
Stu73Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 261
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited because i threw my toys out of the pram. If anyone saw it i appologise unreservedly, it was uncalled for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: