Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Regarding Oil pit squid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bytebugOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 25-02-2014 13:10    Post subject: Regarding Oil pit squid Reply with quote

Having read the reader letter entitled 'Oil pit squid' FT311 regarding toilet creatures, this reminded me of an event many years ago which stuck in my mind. It was the summer of 1977 and I and two friends, who were looking for adventure during the school holidays, decided to break into a disused petrol station in my home town of Runcorn, Cheshire. The building had been disused and boarded up for some considerable time but we soon gained access by removing one of the wooden boards. Inside was full of discarded items covered in dust. I ventured over to a cubicle where a toilet was located and peered in. To my surprise the toilet bowl contained water but what really stamped on my memory was that it was brimming with white creatures about one centimeter in length. One particular specimen that caught my eye swam across the bowl in a fashion not unlike a tadpole; however these were not what I considered as tadpoles as they were too large in my opinion also the wrong color plus having no legs nor discernible tail. I immediately was repulsed by this sight, imagining them as very large germs in an un-sanitory place and left the premises never to return. I expect they were the result of maybe a resourceful salamander which had taken advantage of the only local standing water to lay its eggs. I have seen insect larvae swimming in garden receptacles but nothing ever like this.
melon24Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 42
PostPosted: 25-02-2014 22:48    Post subject: Regarding Oil pit squid Reply with quote

These could have been fresh water shrimp - often found in domestic cold water storage tanks - from where they could easily have migrated!
AMPHIARAUS
PostPosted: 26-02-2014 00:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was summer and the toilet had not been flushed in weeks it would be dry, assuming a siphon type valve.

If it was some other type of valve then maybe it was leaky and some kind of mini habitat had formed with water borne larvae of some insect.

Anyway yuk, but preferable to some I've seen where the water had been lost but people had continued to pee in the loo for months - vile.
Aarauer
Yeti
PostPosted: 06-03-2014 08:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very small pond once, more a puddle lined with plastic, which was taken over by hoverfly larvae - wiggling white things about the size of a hoverfly. Each had a long whippy 'tail' actually it's breathing tube for underwater. They are called 'rat-tailed maggots'. My pond was under trees, not shut in a building, so I don't think your 'maggots' were hoverfly larvae.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: