Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Minor Strangeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 147, 148, 149  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendytorranceOffline
Grey
Total posts: 21
PostPosted: 28-02-2014 07:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
To answer your questions:
I live on the outskirts of Edinburgh -urban but not city centre (hence me not being hopeful about NL sighting!). Other than the Pentlands and Arthur's Seat, it's not what you'd call mountainous.

It wasn't directly over my head -it was high enough that I was looking/head tilted upward. I was looking northward when it first caught my eye, by the time it had left my sight, I was looking west.

I haven't asked any friends about it, but I did a wee google for ufo sightings in Edinburgh with nothing fruitful. It was such a small speck of light, that unless you were looking you'd not notice it -though perhaps there were other hopeful optimists searching for a glimpse of the aurora. I've had a look on my local facebook page to see if anyone else saw anything odd -but only saw pics of the northern blumming lights!
special_farcesOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 204
PostPosted: 09-03-2014 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened a couple of weeks ago, and to me it is more strange than ghostly, so putting it in this thread.

just after lunch I was walking towards home past a local park. The weather was good and it's a road I walk along nearly every day at some point.

Heres Google Street View, looking in my direction of travel:

Burley Park

Looking into the park I saw a young woman with two 'toddlers' walking behind her, heading for the park exit. If you look at the street view, theres a path running by the trees along the far side of the park, and the young woman was heading right to left. I paid attention to them because for a moment I wondered if it was a family I know, but I could see the children were too young. So we were all heading for the same point, and as is the way I was momentarily distracted by a text on my mobile. Looking back up, and now much closer to the park exit, I saw the woman was alone. She did not slow down, or look behind her, but just left the park and crossed the footbridge. I was disconcerted by this and I slowed down then stopped to look in the park. There was no sign of the children. There was no time for them to have run back the way they came. They could have hid behind a tree, but I walked slowly to the end of the park and they were not here. In fact there was no one in the part of the park I could see. The woman walked away and the children did not appear. After a few minutes, I carried on home. I've thought about this every time I've been passed since.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26574
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some photos on Friday 7th, and copied them to my computer for processing and storage.

Today I took some more photos, and did the same thing with them, as I have done hundreds of times before.

The camera numbers all the pics consecutively, but this time one is out of order - a pic taken today has a number that puts it among those taken on Friday! This pic wasn't even the first or last pic I took today, but should have been somewhere in the middle.

This has me baffled - a time-shifting photograph! Shocked

EDIT: Problem solved - see below...

Last edited by rynner2 on 10-03-2014 19:20; edited 1 time in total
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 2920
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rynner, you didn't delete one of the first set of photos before taking the second set, did you? Sometimes a camera might use the lowest available file number, rather than the next unused one. Just a thought...
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peripart wrote:
Rynner, you didn't delete one of the first set of photos before taking the second set, did you? Sometimes a camera might use the lowest available file number, rather than the next unused one. Just a thought...

No, I thought of that.

But now I've solved the problem - or, rather, there is no problem! Turns out to be a stupid misperception on my part. I was looking at thumbnail images when I thought there was a problem, and at that size one of the pics I took on Friday seemed very similar to some of those I took today. But as soon as I looked at 3581 full-screen the mistake became obvious. Embarassed

So all's right with my world, and the rule of logic and science and mathematics is restored! Phew!

(I'll edit my earlier post now.)
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13727
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday we visited a Spanish sailing ship on the Barcelona seafront. I started taking photos as usual, clicking away with one of my two compact digital cameras, when it suddenly stopped working. It started showing a message like 'Lens error.' I switched to the other one and it worked for about a minute before the screen went blank.

Both cameras were still on, just not working.

So I switched them off and pulled out my phone, saying 'This'll work!'
Just as I spoke, something fell from the ceiling onto my shoulder, bounced off and hit the floor.

I looked around on the floor for it and found it: a small rusty metal button.

Cameras suddenly packing up, buttons falling on me from nowhere - what's that about then? Eh? Eh? Eh? Very Happy
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9788
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
Cameras suddenly packing up, buttons falling on me from nowhere - what's that about then? Eh? Eh? Eh? Very Happy

You're a haunted snail!
Spudrick68Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1227
PostPosted: 10-03-2014 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drag Me To Hell?
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13231
PostPosted: 11-03-2014 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
So I switched them off and pulled out my phone, saying 'This'll work!'
Just as I spoke, something fell from the ceiling onto my shoulder, bounced off and hit the floor.

I looked around on the floor for it and found it: a small rusty metal button.

Maybe if you'd pressed it you'd have taken a picture?
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 11-03-2014 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it here, and am pressing it as we speak. Very Happy

If the ghost of a Spanish sailor should materialise and claim it, well, he'll have a fight on his hands. Twisted Evil
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 15-03-2014 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tired when I posted the above account - wanted to get it in black and white straight away. Missed out a couple of details.

When the cameras stopped working we were below decks in the aft end, where loads of interesting ropes, lifebelts and other bits of kit were stored. I wanted to photograph them and that's where the cameras both packed up. They'd worked perfectly everywhere else and were OK after we left the ship.

It's a bit weirder than I first described. The second camera's screen went blank when I used it to aim the camera, but after I'd taken a photo it showed the picture as usual then went blank instead of showing the scene.

I took three or four pictures before the blank screen irritated me enough to make me put it away. Afterwards though there were no photos of that area on the card. So the camera didn't show me the scene but still took the photos, then deleted them all before I could upload them to my stick.

The deceased Spanish sailor who managed this technical feat AND threw a button at me hasn't directed me to untold riches though, as the lottery continues to disappoint. Sad
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1997
PostPosted: 16-03-2014 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The weather was good and it's a road I walk along nearly every day at some point.

Ditto, and have never experienced any weirdness around there.

Good story though. I'll keep half an eye open for vanishing kids.
special_farcesOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 204
PostPosted: 19-03-2014 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWingedBird wrote:

Ditto, and have never experienced any weirdness around there.

I've never heard of anything odd happening around there. Have heard couple of stories about minor weirdness on Vinery Road, but thats to be expected!

I've also wondered about Burley Green - very innocuous now but a very old site.
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2351
PostPosted: 20-03-2014 04:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday was One of Those Days, with the result that in the evening when my husband and I heard something fall on the floor and shatter in the kitchen below us we said: "That sounds bad" and didn't move until the show we were watching was over. The assumption was that one of our two cats, who have been going around knocking drinking glasses over for several days (they've discovered that it's fun and they also get to lap up the water if they do it when no one's around), and who mysteriously were not in their usual positions on top of us, had misjudged and there'd be glass and water all over the floor and we just were not in the mood. But we didn't want to forget about it and walk on wet glass in the morning, either, so we went downstairs after the show finished.

There was in fact a glass on the floor, but it was one that had been drying, not one with liquid still in it; it apparently had been knocked over by gravity acting on the stuff carelessly stacked for drying around it, and - the strangeness part - it was intact.

The kitchen floor is hard ceramic tile. Tougher things than glass tumblers shatter on it when dropped from counter height. But there it was, not only not shattered, but not even cracked.

We took it as a sign that the day was over and Tuesday would be better.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 27-03-2014 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching the lunchtime news, and decided to switch channels. As soon as I pressed the remote button, there was a flash and a crack, and my first thought was "The TV's blown up!" But it carried on working normally, and a few seconds later came a rumble of thunder...

By coincidence, I must have pressed the button at the exact time of the lightning flash, and the crack I heard must have been the E-M pulse interacting with the the TV speakers.

Or maybe the remote control now triggers lightning too... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 147, 148, 149  Next
Page 136 of 149

Jump to: