Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Alien Big Cats ( ABCs )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?
Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside
43%
 43%  [ 30 ]
A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
A big hoax
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Summat else
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
All of the above
23%
 23%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 69

staticgirlOffline
Following my fish
Total posts: 514
PostPosted: 03-09-2013 09:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Big cat 'stalked my children' says Gloucestershire mum

TERRIFIED mum Leah Doney has told of how she grabbed a pair of toddlers she believed were being stalked by a big cat.

She said the large, sleek black animal with green eyes was stalking her son Shyne and a friend's child near Stroud on Saturday.

"They were out of my sight for 30 seconds and my son Marley ran back around the corner and said "Quick mum, there's a big black cat", she said. "He was really frightened. I thought at first he was being silly but then I could see, he was frightened to death. The cat was about 15 metres away, down low, flicking its tail and looking at the children. When I walked towards them, it stopped moving and it just stared at me. I literally grabbed them and did not look back."

She said Shyne and his friend, both aged three, didn't see the cat but she and six-year-old Marley Stocks both believe they saw the big cat off Oak Drive in Rodborough at around 3pm.

She called police, who said anyone who sees what they believe is a big cat to call the non-emergency number, 101.

Leah, 25, from Whiteshill, was visiting her mum Cath Brown's house in Oak Drive and neighbours raced out to try to capture it on camera. They were unable to, but Gloucestershire big cat tracker Frank Tunbridge, who Mrs Brown contacted, said the dry weather may have drawn the cat to a stream nearby where deer drink.

"It may have been laying up in that area to keep cool, and might have been curious," he said. "We have to take this seriously – this behaviour has not been seen before."

Gloucestershire big cat author Rick Minter said deer fencing and scrub clearance could be sensible steps to take.

"Although scrub has great wildlife value it might help people's peace of mind if the area is more visible and there is less cover in that particular spot," he said. "Those are the sort of practical measures which happen overseas."

Police confirmed they had been contacted by a woman reporting the sighting.

Big cats in Stroud hit national headlines 18 months ago when footage of what appears to be a sighting emerged on the internet.

Read more: http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Big-cat-stalked-children-says-Gloucestershire-mum/story-19743716-detail/story.html#ixzz2dp2LnApM
staticgirlOffline
Following my fish
PostPosted: 03-09-2013 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 post ment. Why am I seeing all these stories? Is it because it's the silly season?
Quote:

Readers respond to Tamworth 'big cat' picture

(With intense scepticism. It's so obviously either photoshopped and/or a cuddly toy. However there is a useful history of local sightings at the end.)
http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/Readers-respond-Tamworth-big-cat-picture/story-19723418-detail/story.html

Quote:
Spanish authorities are using night vision equipment to hunt for a panther-like big cat that has been spotted by residents.

More than half a dozen people have reported seeing the black "large feline" in farmland around Berja, just inland from the south coast.

Several cages containing meat and image intensifying cameras have been set up in an attempt to catch the beast.

Search coordinator, Jacinto Navarro, said on Friday: "From all the witnesses' descriptions it seems it is a black panther but we're not sure.

"This very morning, almond farmers called us saying they were stunned to see this animal walking around.

"They are worried because we are dealing with an animal that is dangerous in the wild.

"We guess that someone who had the animal as a pet let it loose in this area."

The area where the beast has been seen lies about half way between Granada and Almeria, about ten miles inland from the Costa Tropical and not far from the Costa del Sol.

Mr Navarro, an environmental officer for the Andalusia regional government, said there had been no reports of such an animal going missing in the area.

But the authorities were having to take it seriously as it was feared it could be roaming around the Sierra Nevada National Park.

The park is popular with walkers and the local government feels it cannot take any risks.

The "absolute priority" of the team of three environmental officers and three police was to catch the feline alive, he said.

Earlier, despite setting up two cages in the area with large chunks of meat inside, they trapped no more than a domestic cat and a fox, both of which were released.

On Friday, two more cages and two night-vision cameras were added.

If the animal is trapped, officers hope to shoot it with a tranquiliser gun and hand it over to a zoo in the neighbouring town of Tabernas which has offered to take it in.

http://news.sky.com/story/1132454/panther-police-in-spain-hunt-for-big-cat

I am assuming that last one could well be real.
DucadoOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 51
PostPosted: 06-09-2013 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite funny how so many people have not made the link between ABC's and other paranormal phenomena.

It just mimics them all
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1568
PostPosted: 06-11-2013 04:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article is just beyond bad...

Headline:

Quote:
Research suggests big cats may roam the wild
Scientific research provides tantalising evidence as to the existence of big cats stalking the British countryside

The teeth markings left on the bones were analysed to establish which animals had feasted on them. In a quarter of the cases, it was found that the “tooth pit” indentations – markings made by canine teeth, as they clamp on the bones – caused by something larger than species known to exist in the wild, such as badgers and foxes.

However, as dogs’ teeth can make similar indentations, a further analysis was carried out to look for markings made by carnassial teeth, used for shearing flesh and bone.

"At the moment, there are three I have found which are weighing in favor of the cat, so it is very tentatively pointing that way," he said. "All three are certainly wider than you would expect to find in a dog imprint. But we need to let the sample size build up before we have anything approaching a statistical basis."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10422759/Research-suggests-big-cats-may-roam-the-wild.html

That just sounds like so much kitty litter... Rolling Eyes
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 06-11-2013 07:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That just sounds like so much kitty litter... Rolling Eyes

Agreed, the three usable samples look like big cat, samples that have been gathered from across southern England. Either the English are blessed with very placid dogs and cursed with an epidemic of big cats, or his methodology needs a bit of tinkering.
staticgirlOffline
Following my fish
PostPosted: 13-12-2013 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of pranking (the photos are pretty neat):

Quote:
Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved

Two City of London forest keepers had quite a fright on Wednesday when they peered through the fog and spotted what appeared to be a black panther in Epping Forest, Essex.

Upon closer inspection, however, the pair realised it was simply a stuffed toy which had been left there from fly-tipping and placed on the branch of a tree.

Epping Forest staff later tweeted: "@WFGuardian #Bigcat found in #EppingForest! Sadly, this ‘big cat’ was found in a big fly tip, then left in a tree."

This isn't the first time fears have been sparked by 'sightings' of big cats in Essex, most memorably when a major police hunt was undertaken after a couple spotted what they believed to be a runaway lion, which was later identified in some media reports as Teddy Bear, a local woman's large domestic cat.

The 'big cat' was actually a soft toy Steve Atkin reported the sighting of a “very large animal … possibly a lion” to police officers, prompting a helicopter search involving firearms officers as well as a media field day on a quiet Bank Holiday Monday in August 2012.

But the hunt was eventually called off by Essex Police when it could find no trace of the animal.

Last year the City Corporation, which runs Epping Forest, collected over 250 tonnes of rubbish, 39 tonnes of which was recycled, from 731 fly-tipping incidents.

The City of London Corporation is offering a reward of up to £500 to any person (or nominated charity) who can give evidence that leads to a successful prosecution in court.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mystery-of-epping-forest-big-cat-is-solved-9000593.html
songhratiOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 86
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 04:34    Post subject: Blue Mountains panther spotted again Reply with quote

From http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/animals/blue-mountains-panther-spotted-again-20131214-2ze1p.html

(visit the page for a map of Big Cat sightings in New South Wales)

Weeks after the government declared the Blue Mountains big cat file closed, a Sydney father has spoken of a terrifying encounter with a panther-like creature outside his home.

Peter Russell told NSW Police he feared for his life after being stalked by a large, ''completely foreign'' feline predator at Riverstone, on the fringes of dense national park bushland.

It has been sighted at least 12 times in the Riverstone area over recent years. On Thursday, the member for Hawkesbury, Ray Williams, warned the government to ''rethink'' its position or face being ''accountable'' in the event of a tragedy.

Referring to a report, released in October, that dismissed the validity of about 500 eyewitness statements, Mr Williams said: ''I appreciate [Minister for Primary Industries] Katrina Hodgkinson might have more important issues to deal with but, in accepting those findings, she is ridiculing the many hundreds who have seen this creature.

Advertisement ''My wife and I saw this animal. People I know and respect have seen it. I have addressed the situation in Parliament and spoken broadly and openly about it since. If something awful happens, I'll sleep with a clear conscience.''

For decades, huge cats have been sighted by rural residents. Bushwalkers, tourists and locals say the animals resemble panthers.

A common theory is that the cats escaped from private zoos or a circus years ago and have since bred and survived across the three large national parks - Kanangra-Boyd, Blue Mountains and Wollemi - that connect across the mountains. But in the absence of definitive evidence, the subject remains a topic of widespread amusement elsewhere.

In a 1999 letter to then National Parks and Wildlife Service director-general Brian Gilligan, Department of Agriculture head Kevin Sheridan warned: ''The reports are becoming too frequent for us to ignore the possibility. To … do so could bring into question government's duty of care.''

Wildlife ecologist Johannes Bauer was later commissioned to provide expert opinion.

''Difficult as it seems to accept, the most likely explanation of the evidence is the presence of a large, feline predator,'' he said. ''In this area, [it is] most likely a leopard, less likely a jaguar.''

In 2008, then premier Nathan Rees admitted to being a believer. ''It is easy for all of us to dismiss these things … but if we're actually wrong then there is an altogether different set of scenarios.''

But today, the O'Farrell government has put its faith in the findings of New Zealand invasive species expert John Parkes, who scoffed at the notion in October, labelling the 500 eyewitness accounts as ''at best prima facie evidence'', saying ''large dogs, large feral cats or swamp wallabies'' were the likely candidates.

The latest eyewitness disagrees. On December 5, Mr Russell went to investigate why his neighbour's dogs were acting ''so distressed''.

He said, as he looked along the path that led up the street, a very large, broad, cat-like creature ran straight for him.

''This was definitely no dog,'' he said. ''It had a low rumbling growl. It was between knee and hip height, extremely stocky and very fast. I spun on my heel and ran back towards the house. I didn't know that I was going to make it to the door.

''My mind was completely thrown by what I had just witnessed. I thought I was a goner.''

Mr Russell made it safely inside and called Riverstone police.

''The officer laughed and I acknowledged her reaction was understandable,'' he said. ''But I also explained that if some poor kid ends up being taken, and I hadn't called, I would be left devastated.''

Ms Hodgkinson said that, based on the findings of Mr Parkes, the government would not commit any further expenditure. ''As far as I am concerned, the matter is closed."

But Mr Williams thinks his colleague has missed the point. ''I don't want a million dollars spent on any campaign, I just want some general acknowledgement that this is no myth … and for visitors to the national park to be armed with the knowledge that these animals could pose a danger, particularly to kids.''

Have you seen the big cat?
GinandoOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 294
PostPosted: 17-12-2013 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my work colleagues lives between Nairn and Inverness, and he has a small holding with a sizeable number of hens. Anyway he supplies several of us with fresh eggs, but had to stop as seventy of his birds had been killed. He decided it was time to sort out the killer. Last week as he drove into the yard his car headlamps picked out a massive black cat, easily double the size of a domestic moggy. It jumped from the ground to the top of a fence post which is 9 foot high in a standing jump, then as he walked over towards it, it gave what he says was a guttural growl similar to the sound of big cats usually only seen in far more exotic places than Nairn.

I mentioned to him seeing a cat matching that general description when driving between Forres and Rothes over the moors. I genuinely thought it matched the description of a Kellas cat, and the example that used to be on view in Elgin museum.

I am of the opinion that many of these sightings are very large cats created by some freak of genes combining between domestic cats and true wildcats. After all, if you get a large cat such as a Maine Coon and it breeds with a wildcat, what's to stop this producing a very large and powerful feral species?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13647
PostPosted: 05-01-2014 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Crewe & Nantwich Guardian:

The beast of Acton Bridge

Quote:
HAVE you seen the beast of Acton Bridge?

A reader alerted the Guardian to sightings of a black, big cat-like creature prowling close to the River Weaver.

The Acton Bridge resident believes a dog has recently gone missing in the area and other local animals have been injured.

The concerned resident wrote to Guardian and said: “My father-in-law insists that he has twice seen a large black panther like cat prowling near the boat wreck at the locks near Acton Bridge.

“He has spoken to a local man who says that a dog has recently gone missing and other animals have been attacked.”

However, Nadine Pengilly, RSPCA inspector for the area, believes a panther strolling the countryside around Acton Bridge is very unlikely.

“I doubt it very much," she said. "If there was a panther it would kill all the cows and livestock down there.

“You do get some larger cats that could’ve been mistaken for a panther or big cat.

“I can’t for one minute believe that there’s a panther, I think it was probably just a big cat as otherwise there’d be a lot more damage.

"We do have lots of black cats though if anyone wants to adopt one!”

rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26194
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tiger' among big cat reports to Devon and Cornwall Police

A tiger sighting was among 10 big cat reports to Devon and Cornwall Police last year, it has emerged.
The animal was reported at an Exmouth care home in January 2013.

Another Devon caller reported a "wild beast locked inside a room" of his house, while a "large cat knocked something over" in the premises of a caller in Helston, Cornwall, last May.

The force has received a total of 220 reports since 2000, with numbers peaking in 2001 with 30.
The details, released under the Freedom of Information Act, also revealed a "hunting man" from suburban Efford in Plymouth called to say he had seen a puma.

Four other calls concerned dead sheep which had been suspected victims of big cats.
One caller in Torrington, Devon, said he had seen claw marks on the backs of two dead sheep.

Danny Bamping of the British Big Cat Society said he knew of 40 reports of big cats in Devon and 30 in Cornwall last year.
"In Britain 75% of the reports are of big black cats, but the unanswered question is what they are.
"There's no doubt in my mind that they could be black leopards, but possibly a hybrid of a wild and domesticated cat.
"In the UK we could have a unique big cat which I find quite exciting."

In the 1990s photos and video emerged of a large panther-like animal in Cornwall.
Dubbed "the beast of Bodmin" there have been reported sightings on and off for 20 years.

Devon and Cornwall Police were unavailable for immediate comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25713663
FluttermothOffline
Mrs Treguard
Total posts: 424
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginando wrote:

I am of the opinion that many of these sightings are very large cats created by some freak of genes combining between domestic cats and true wildcats. After all, if you get a large cat such as a Maine Coon and it breeds with a wildcat, what's to stop this producing a very large and powerful feral species?

Oddly enough, I was discussing this very subject with my mum this evening!

I don't think you need to have large domestics to produce large kittens. My mum was saying that, back in the fifties, and living only a few miles from the edge of Bodmin Moor, she had a fairly small cat that had a couple of kittens, of unknown parentage.

One of the kittens, a black tom, went to live with her aunt, and grew absolutely huge. Fully grown, he was the length of a two seater settee when stretched out. Not massive, admittedly, but certainly considerably larger than a normal domestic cat. The other kitten was ginger and, although my mum never saw that as an adult, she was told that it had also grown to a very large size.

We were discussing the possibility of there being a remnant, or introduced, population of wildcats on the moors that were hybridising with the farm cats and producing these very large, black cats. Hybrids certainly do tend to grow much larger than the parent species; ligers being a great example.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13096
PostPosted: 27-04-2014 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, how about this: could you deliberately breed massive cats out of the domestic variety? Could you get a bunch of fairly large domestic kitties and keep breeding the biggest ones until the result after a few generations would be the equivalent of panther size? I don't know who would do this, mind you.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9668
PostPosted: 27-04-2014 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
OK, how about this: could you deliberately breed massive cats out of the domestic variety? Could you get a bunch of fairly large domestic kitties and keep breeding the biggest ones until the result after a few generations would be the equivalent of panther size? I don't know who would do this, mind you.

I reckon this might be possible. After all, look at what breeders have done with dogs.
Scary, though, as cats can't be trained and disciplined the same way as dogs. Make 'em big and they become a nightmare waiting to happen.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13096
PostPosted: 28-04-2014 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the news snippet in the latest FT about the woman who was arrested for "experimenting" on cats and dogs for breeding purposes, I wonder if I'm on to something with this theory. Are there modern day Dr Moreaus abroad in the land?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60
Page 60 of 60

Jump to: