Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Red Flag, White Cross

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26196
PostPosted: 09-05-2014 18:21    Post subject: Red Flag, White Cross Reply with quote

Does any one know what a Red Flag, White Cross represents? (Ie, like an inverted version of the English flag, which is white with a red cross.)

It's not the Swiss Flag, which is square, and has the white cross inset from the borders.

Neither is it the Danish flag, which has an asymmetrical white cross (or a Christian cross on its side).

A quick internet search doesn't seem to offer any other options.

I snapped a distant pic of the mystery flag, flying from a local pub today.
davidplanktonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 440
PostPosted: 09-05-2014 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it this one ?

http://www.hampshireflag.co.uk/flags.asp?search=St.%20ALDHELMS

Sorry don't know what St Aldhems is, apart from a school and a church.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 09-05-2014 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidplankton wrote:
Was it this one ?

http://www.hampshireflag.co.uk/flags.asp?search=St.%20ALDHELMS

Sorry don't know what St Aldhems is, apart from a school and a church.

Thanks for that - that seems to be the flag!

I know of St Aldhelms (or St Albans) Head on the Dorset coast - there are strong tidal overfalls off there.

According To Wiki:
Quote:
Aldhelm (Old English: Ealdhelm) (c. 639 – 25 May 709), Abbot of Malmesbury Abbey, Bishop of Sherborne, Latin poet and scholar of Anglo-Saxon literature, was born before the middle of the 7th century. He is said to have been the son of Kenten, who was of the royal house of Wessex.[1] He was certainly not, as his early biographer Faritius asserts, the brother of King Ine. After his death he was venerated as a saint, his feast day being the day of his death, 25 May.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldhelm

But it's not the 25th of May yet, and anyway why would a Cornish pub fly the flag of an Anglo-saxon saint? I may have to visit the pub and ask them! (It's only one bus-stop up the road, but I'll have to walk back as the bus goes a different route! Rolling Eyes It's not too far, luckily.)
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 10-05-2014 06:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out this morning that the flag was not flying from the pub at all, but from a house a little further up the hill. (All I could actually see yesterday was the flag flying over the tops of some suburban trees, and I assumed it was on the pub, as that's the biggest building in that direction.) If the rain holds off today I may still go up there and see what I can learn.

My interest in flags goes back to my seafaring days. Once I saw a yacht with an ensign I didn't recognize - it turned out to be the flag of Liechtenstein! Later, approaching retirement, I worked in a chandlers where we sold flags, everything from the Red Ensign and other national flags to custom-made designs. So when I saw this flag flying over the trees, I knew enough to realise it wasn't one I was familiar with!
davidplanktonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 440
PostPosted: 11-05-2014 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get to the pub Rynner? What happened next?
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9673
PostPosted: 11-05-2014 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidplankton wrote:
Did you get to the pub Rynner? What happened next?

A pint would be in order, would it not?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 15-05-2014 16:04    Post subject: Re: Red Flag, White Cross Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
...neither is it the Danish flag, which has an asymmetrical white cross (or a Christian cross on its side).

I discovered today (via a BBC news item) that the Danes think their flag is the oldest in the world.
Quote:
The History of the Flag

http://navalhistory.dk/English/TheFlag/History_of_the_Flag.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: