Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Dreaming of the dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 514
PostPosted: 14-06-2014 03:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how accepting you think she might be. When my husband's niece died I tried to give my sister in law the message that her daughter wanted her to know how much she had loved her although in life she had seemed to be closer to her father.
She did not take it well and was quite hostile for quite a long time and only by including her in any of our family things has she at last melted quite a bit.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9788
PostPosted: 14-06-2014 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, not everybody wants to hear such a 'message'.

My own Mum believes in the Invisible Sky Fairy, but if someone gave her a message from the recently deceased, she would simply refuse to hear it.
Part of her belief includes not communicating with the dead - I seem to recall her quoting some scripture at me to that effect. This is the big reason why she doesn't trust Spiritualists or the Spiritualist Church.
KencoOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 30-08-2014 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents' much-loved dog died almost two years ago. He died very suddenly after being taken ill overnight. I used to walk him several times a week and was heart-broken to lose him - especially when he wasn't particularly old and seemed to be full of life the day before it happened.

The other night I dreamed I was standing outside their house gate and the dog was running up and down outside, gleefully ignoring my calls (as he used to do). He went to the bottom of their road and was having fun with another dog that was being walked past. A neighbour came out of his house with some other people. I asked him if he could see my parents' old dog running around. He looked at me oddly and replied that there was no dog there. But I could see him clearly.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26565
PostPosted: 30-08-2014 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has reminded me of a dream I had last night. It was very brief, but quite clear.

I got on a bus and went up to the top deck. Seated at the front on the right was an old man, quite small and frail, and for some reason I felt he shouldn't be there.

I put my hand on his shoulder, and he slumped over, clearly dead!

And that was it! I've been on several buses today, but never on the top deck. In fact, I wonder if that's what the dream was about - I don't go upstairs now on the buses because it's too much hassle with my shopping trolley, so perhaps the dead man was a representation of my 'upstairs self'.... And yet physically he was nothing like me...

Next time I'm on a double-decker, I'll leave my trolley in the luggage area, and go upstairs to see what transpires.... Shocked
Spudrick68Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1227
PostPosted: 31-08-2014 09:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a very vivid dream that my brother was dead. I phoned him up to 4am to check that he was OK as I was in a panic. He nearly poo'd his pants driving to work that morning and drove very carefully.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13725
PostPosted: 31-08-2014 09:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited to clarify that I'm replying to Rynner's post about going upstairs on the bus and not the following one about pooing pants! Laughing

Yup, I'd do that. Very Happy

The dream theory which appeals most to me is that all one's dreams are about oneself. I'd certainly agree with your idea that the dead man upstairs on the bus could be a version of yourself.

Might even go so far as to remind you that the subconsious is capable of sending us quite brutal messages wrapped up in imagery to make them more acceptable.

For a person who lives where there're few or no stairs to negotiate, those steep bus steps could take quite an effort.

So perhaps you're being reminded that the effort of climbing those stairs might one day be too much for you! Shocked

That's my interpretation. Probably irrelevant to you of course. Wink

I watched an episode of Six Feet Under last night, where Claire is shown meeting up with various deceased people, including some whom she was surprised to see.
One said 'Oh! Tell me you're just visiting!' and was relieved that Claire had not also died.

This series often has dreams and visions of the dead. They are not really the dead people themselves, but rather part of the living characters' internal dialogues.
The living characters do not generally mention these experiences because they understand that outside the dream context they are meaningless; the deceased person is dead and cannot have anything new to say.

Of course, the main characters are in the funeral business and so have an ongoing relationship with death, at least other people's, and are comfortable with it.
Whereas we might have a similar dream of our deceased father, say, and find it meaningful to us and want to discuss it. Hence this thread. Wink

Last edited by escargot1 on 31-08-2014 14:05; edited 1 time in total
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26565
PostPosted: 31-08-2014 09:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
The dream theory which appeals most to me is that all one's dreams are about oneself. I'd certainly agree with your idea that the dead man upstairs on the bus could be a version of yourself.

Might even go so far as to remind you that the subconsious is capable of sending us quite brutal messages wrapped up in imagery to make them more acceptable.

For a person who lives where there're few or no stairs to negotiate, those steep bus steps could take quite an effort.

So perhaps you're being reminded that the effort of climbing those stairs might one day be too much for you! Shocked

Yes, I thought of that too! Sad

But there are worse ways to go, and it would make a change for me to inconvenience First, rather than the other way round! Twisted Evil
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 08:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother has been in hospital, quite seriously ill, but is home now. On her last night in there she dreamed that she was walking on a deserted seashore, looking at a big rock on which sat a man looking out to sea.

As she drew nearer he turned to face her. It was my late father, and he said 'So there you are!'

Mother hastily swerved around the rock and hurried back the way she came! Laughing
Stu73Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 261
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My mother has been in hospital, quite seriously ill, but is home now. On her last night in there she dreamed that she was walking on a deserted seashore, looking at a big rock on which sat a man looking out to sea.

As she drew nearer he turned to face her. It was my late father, and he said 'So there you are!'

Mother hastily swerved around the rock and hurried back the way she came! Laughing

Hope she's ok now. Classic anxiety dream maybe? Even if it was, i hope it gave her some feeling of comfort to see him again. (sorry, don't know when he passed)
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 349
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:

She must have known it wasn't her time yet. That is, if she and your dad got along! Smile

I do hope she's feeliing better now.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank yous for the kind wishes. Dad died 5 years ago and as he firmly believed in the afterlife, we have all had dreams about him doing what he expected to there.

Mother certainly isn't ready to join him! Laughing
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
Total posts: 388
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:

But there are worse ways to go, and it would make a change for me to inconvenience First, rather than the other way round! Twisted Evil

Brilliant! Smile
CochiseOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1899
PostPosted: 04-10-2014 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do dream of my late wife quite often. Normally it is just going through a day or some event as if she was still alive - not surprising, I dreamed I was back at school for years after I grew up. Painful when one wakes up to the depressing reality, but I would imagine quite normal.

To add context, I normally only have a hazy recall of my dreams, enough to know that many of them repeat, but rarely enough to remember any detail.

But I have had one dream in which I was talking to my wiife - I knew she was dead in the dream - and I asked her if we would ever be together again (this is in the dream of course) The answer - somewhat surprisingly - was 'sometimes'. The dream was in colour as well and has never repeated (a pity, because the next question would be asking for some clarification!)

Make of it what you will.
SwiftyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 519
PostPosted: 05-10-2014 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about that Cochise but also happy that you still get some comfort from talking to her in your dreams.

Myself and my partner are both terrible snorers so most nights one of us will scuttle off to the spare room for a quiet night's sleep ... except when I sleep in the spare room, I frequently dream of an old woman although my partner never does in the same room ... I've since learned that an old woman once died in our now main bedroom so if there was anything supernatural going, you'd think I'd be dreaming about her in the correct room? ... dreaming of old women is so common as I've read that I don't think anything ghostly is going on, my Boss has a PHD in psychology and was laughing with me about the situation reckoning it's most likely something Freudian .. I'm none the wiser Rolling Eyes ...... in one dream she presented herself as a beautiful young woman in what looked like a whale bone corset and replied to me "I'm your girlfriend in 1911" Shocked ...... I woke up pretty sharpish after that.
CochiseOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1899
PostPosted: 06-10-2014 08:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that I don't necessarily believe dreams mean anything - my best guess is that it is simply the brain trying to unwind the day's complications Smile

But the occasional dreams I have had - like the one mentioned above - that have stuck in my memory do seem to have a particular significance. But I don't know what it is - it might simply be the subconscious providing what props it thinks are necessary to get the conscious through the day. I would like to believe it is more that that, but I also know that one's own psyche is hardly a valid source of evidence for supernatural events.

edit - corrected misleading typo

Last edited by Cochise on 07-10-2014 06:48; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: