Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
This is (not) the end? Jim Morrison still with us?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lopaka3Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1981
PostPosted: 20-05-2005 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Emperor"]The claims are still doing the rounds:

Quote:
Thursday, May 19, 2005

May 20, 2005

How weird is this? Today's "A Current Affair" (6:30 p.m., WJBK-TV, Channel 2) airs video that allegedly shows Jim Morrison of the Doors is very much alive -- despite his reported 1971 demise -- and living in cowboy country in the Pacific Northwest. (Coincidentally, tickets for the Doors of the 21st Century show -- presumably without a very special added guest -- June 26 at DTE Energy Music Theatre went on sale today!)

omg

I think we might need an option added to this poll: http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21763

Very Happy

Edited to add: Fitz, yes John Sebastian is a great example of the same nonsense.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8591
PostPosted: 20-05-2005 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done Very Happy. Well spotted that man!

edit - someone's voted for it already!
LeaferneOffline
Defrost indoors
Total posts: 2741
PostPosted: 20-05-2005 21:19    Post subject: great poll option! Reply with quote

rofl
Brighid45Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 63
PostPosted: 23-05-2005 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now this is creepy . . . I'm re-reading The Stand, last evening read the passage with Stu's possible sighting of JM . . . and wake up this morning to find this thread. Hmm . . . coincidence? I think not! Wink
indigochildOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 54
PostPosted: 25-05-2005 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

most dead rock stars/ film stars have that "are they still alive" cliche attached to them.

Elvis/ Kurt Cobain (its been suggested he was murdered too) / Richey Edwards/ Jim Morrisson, people just can't let go ...

one question, why would the FBI help someone fake their death, whats would be the advantage/ purpose of that? Rolling Eyes Laughing
dilligaf710Offline
Grey
Total posts: 18
PostPosted: 27-05-2005 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

witness protection at its most extreme would be my guess, not that i believe our government would do anything that shady. Rolling Eyes

but then again andy kaufmann did it for whatever reason, and resurfaced recently, so who knows.
ruffreadyOffline
Ruff says..
Total posts: 2413
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 03:31    Post subject: IS Jim Morrison REALLY DEAD???? Reply with quote

IS IT POSSIBLE HE IS STILL WITH US ??? http://www.rodeoswest.com/
Peter F. writes: I took the supposed photo of an older Jim Morrison from Gerald Pitts' website and superimposed a photo of the singer over it. The resemblance is uncanny.
AND IT GOES ON!!
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8591
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 06:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

dilligaf wrote:
but then again andy kaufmann did it for whatever reason, and resurfaced recently, so who knows.
Actually, no, he didn't:
Quote:
...on 16 May 1984, a 35-year-old Andy Kaufman died of lung cancer at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. His remains were returned to New York for interment at Beth David Cemetery. His death certificate and his gravesite are viewable on-line.

The 20th anniversary of Kaufman's death has provided the occasion for some "Andy Kaufman is alive!" rumors, fueled primarily by a blog and a press release (widely distributed via Yahoo!) proclaiming that he has emerged from hiding two decades after faking his death — accounts supposedly confirmed by his having given an interview to ABC and submitted to (and passed) DNA testing. And all of this screams of being a very un-Kaufman-like publicity stunt....The releasing agency, PRWeb, is a free wire service that will distribute anyone's press release, about anything, free of charge...

...(Note that the putative Andy Kaufman blog now disclaims that, contrary to details provided in the press release, he was not interviewed by ABC, and the alleged DNA testing was not conducted by the auditing firm of Ernst & Young. This seems rather transparently indicative of someone's having to backpedal after receiving complaints from companies disgruntled at having their names associated with a hoax, or at the very least of having to explain away why no one else has been able to confirm the same information.)

The supposed recent photographs of Andy (appearing as Tony Clifton, his abusive lounge singer character) displayed in the blog were taken from a May 2004 Andy Kaufman tribute event, during which Kaufman's friend and writing partner, Bob Zmuda, played Tony Clifton. Zmuda himself said, during a 1999 interview:

"The hoax and the practical joke are lost art forms." But did Andy Kaufman pull one last stunt on his deathbed at age 35? No, says Zmuda. "Andy Kaufman is dead. He’s not in some truck stop with Elvis." While Kaufman tinkered with the idea, tells Zmuda, he never brought it up again.

If the real Andy Kaufman were back, his story would be picked up by every major news service in the U.S. and a good many abroad, not merely a single "anybody can submit a story" free publicity service. And if the real Andy Kaufman genuinely wanted to demonstrate he was still alive, just one public appearance would serve that purpose far more convincingly than an unverifiable DNA test.
dilligaf710Offline
Grey
Total posts: 18
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah. i need to do more fact checking.
i remember the "story", possibly from the frontpage here or rotten, but never thought to check snopes.
thanks for setting me straight!
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
Total posts: 19440
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu neville wrote:
dilligaf wrote:
Actually, no, he didn't:

See also the discussion here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15253
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 05-08-2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

43 years later, Marianne Faithfull steps up to the plate with some information on the death of Morrison.
Quote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/marianne-faithfull-alleges-her-exboyfriend-killed-jim-morrison-i-mean-im-sure-it-was-an-accident-9650224.html

Marianne Faithfull alleges her ex-boyfriend killed Jim Morrison: 'I mean I'm sure it was an accident'

The singer and actress claims that Jean de Breteuil was behind The Doors musician’s death

The Independent. Ella Alexander, 05 August 2014

Marianne Faithfull has accused her ex-boyfriend Jean de Breteuil of accidentally killing Jim Morrison of The Doors.

It was rumoured that the late drug dealer had been involved in the musician’s death, although this has never been confirmed. Morrison was found dead, aged 27, on 3 July 1971.

A doctor's report stated the cause of death was heart failure aggravated by heavy drinking. No autopsy was ever performed because the French medical examiner stated that there was no evidence of foul play, giving rise to numerous conspiracy theories.

However, Faithfull has reiterated a much-circulated, but never confirmed, rumour that he died of a heroin overdose.

The singer and actress was staying at a Paris hotel with her then-boyfriend de Breteuil, who was known for supplying heroin to famous circles, when he went to visit Morrison at his apartment.

“I could intuitively feel trouble,” said Faithfull. “I thought, ‘I'll take a few Tuinal [barbiturates] and I won't be there.’ And he went to see Jim Morrison and killed him. I mean I'm sure it was an accident.”

“Poor bastard. The smack was too strong? Yeah. And he died,” she continued. “And I didn't know anything about this. Anyway, everybody connected to the death of this poor guy is dead now. Except me.”

Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 241
PostPosted: 09-08-2014 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is that Jim and Elvis even if they faked thier deaths have probably died since or will die soon due to old age. I mean Elvis would he be alive today even if he hadn't died?

The myth of rock stars faking their deaths even with Kurt and Ritchie is sadly a dying instituation.

The "stars" ain't big enough and there's no mystery due to everything being filmed or tweeted, there's just no mystery.

We really need to get off the planet before everything just gets too old.
glum
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2600
PostPosted: 11-08-2014 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an old crazy-haired homeless guy that I intermittently see pacing the streets near my apartment - which is located equidistant from Rue Beautreillis and Pere Lachaise - who looks a lot like Jim Morrison would, IMO, were he in his 70s and had been living rough for a good number of years.

Fairly confident it is not him but I do always wonder when I see him. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: