Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Nocternal Lights, Edinburgh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginjabadjaOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 71
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 22:22    Post subject: Nocternal Lights, Edinburgh Reply with quote

Heading across a car park tonight and saw some other patrons standing by the car park entrance looking up. Did likewise to see some lights in the sky.

Initially I thought was the tail lights/anti collision of a flight heading out of Edinburgh but it seemed to be two static rectangular red lights with a flashing green vertical light on the left hand side. Couldn't say for sure but had the impression the green light might have a shape and that it was 'around the corner', for want of a better phrase, from the red lights

This was over the west of the city from my viewing angle (I was looking up what I guess was about 60/65 degrees). Roughly 22:30 BST (checked the car clock) and I had watched it for maybe two minutes.

In conclusion ( and possibly in search of an acronym ) - I dunno what it was; it was airborne; it seemed to be a tangible thing...

But then again it is festival time at the moment....
gordonrutterOffline
The Indescribable Horror that is a
Total posts: 836
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure guess but the BBC usually film the Tattoo for broadcast and they usually use a tethered blimp type balloon with a mounted camera - could it have been that with warning lights?

What geographic location were you looking from - could you have been looking towards the castle?
ginjabadjaOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought about the balloon, Gordon, I didn't know they did that.
I was well west of the Castle looking west/north west. The Chesser area if that helps at all.

Unless the balloon cam is stored elsewhere (the Gyle?!?!) and was undergoing a test. It could fit with the red and green warning/anti collison lights.
gordonrutterOffline
The Indescribable Horror that is a
Total posts: 836
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

West / north west from Chesser would have you looking straight towards the airport I guess? Helicopter waiting to land rather than a plane?
ginjabadjaOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 07:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still thinking balloon at the moment. It was still - so hovering rather than in flight. I'm a bit of a plane spotter and the lights didn't seem to match any formation/anti collision lights I've seen.

I.e. there was no white strobe light (usually top or bottom) or red "blinky", just the red and green as described before. These didn't match the usual pattern of nav lights (one static green and one static red at the extremes of the aircraft).

I can't definitively rule out an aircraft though.

As civil & cargo flights have a fairly long and gentle ascent/descent path (except maybe City airport - closest thing to landing on a carrier!) I've seen people getting foxed by planes at night, particularly along the take off/landing corridor where a plane coming in with landing lights on can appear to be a hovering white light.

Likewise if you directly behind the take off corridor and the formation/anti collision lights appear to form a box or cross shape.

That said I replayed the last few hours of ops at Edinburgh last night on plane finder, and the flight path in was over the River Forth. I have seen light civil and helicopters moved into this pattern before, albeit at lower and slower than the commercial jets.

This would be oblique to my position so I would see things from the side, and also this flight path would be hidden by neighbouring buildings & Corstorphine Hill. Plus, again from my position, the airport was roughly 3 miles away.

I'm liking the balloon idea. It was very still, on a relatively windless night. I would expect helicopter, no matter how well flown, to under go some mechanical 'quiver' just due to the rotors - and again it would have the white strobes etc.

Likewise I was thinking about a drone (maybe as a prank) but it seemed too high up, too far away and I would think that the lights were too bright - unless it was lugging a large battery. And again no mechanical "quiver" in the hover.
ginjabadjaOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 11-08-2014 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum: from the local paper with picture:

Quote:

Edinburgh’s famous military Tattoo is often billed as out of this world - but a mysterious sighting has given that phrase a whole new meaning.

Tourists queuing for the spectacle spotted an unusual sight in the skies about the Castle - and it wasn’t a fastjet flypast or a bird.

The oddly-shaped light in the sky was captured by Catherine Stuart and her mother Susan, who were in the queue for Saturday’s late-night Tattoo, just before 10.30pm.

Ms Stuart, who lives in London but is originally from South Africa, said she had no explanation for the strange apparition, which disappeared soon after they photographed it.

The 31-year-old said she thought the “weird” object was a bird at first.

“It was very strange to see because when we looked at it again it didn’t look like a bird,” she said. “It was hovering around and then it disappeared. It was a weird shaped, like a square light. I have no idea what it was.”

url: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/tattoo-guests-spot-ufo-over-edinburgh-castle-1-3505970

So this could add credence to it being a camera blimp for recording the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. There's usually some kind of fast jet fly by from the RAF; so having anti-collision lights on a tethered camera blimp would make sense. And on Saturday I believe there was Red Arrows fly-by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: