Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
FT Magazine's future...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Times Magazine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2600
PostPosted: 12-08-2014 16:35    Post subject: FT Magazine's future... Reply with quote

Don't panic! I don't have any inside news or bad rumours to spread.

However, in the past fortnight I have learned that two magazines I have been buying for over 20 years have either closed down or will be closing down after the next edition.

The magazine I worked for in my previous job was another I had been a long-time buyer of and it too is now in the great library in the sky. With the growth of eBooks and the internet in general the printed word is in real threat and with dwindling numbers reported for a lot of magazines I just thought I'd mention the unmentionable...

I would hope that there is a large enough circulation and enough willing advertisers to keep the FT head above water, but, of the magazines I buy regularly, I think FT is probably now the next one in line that I'd expect to read the dreaded 'With heavy heart we regret to inform you...' Editorial.

Sad

Any positive counterbalance to my bleak view to be had out there?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21472
PostPosted: 12-08-2014 19:18    Post subject: Re: FT Magazine's future... Reply with quote

McAvennie_ wrote:
Don't panic! I don't have any inside news or bad rumours to spread.

However, in the past fortnight I have learned that two magazines I have been buying for over 20 years have either closed down or will be closing down after the next edition.

The magazine I worked for in my previous job was another I had been a long-time buyer of and it too is now in the great library in the sky. With the growth of eBooks and the internet in general the printed word is in real threat and with dwindling numbers reported for a lot of magazines I just thought I'd mention the unmentionable...

I would hope that there is a large enough circulation and enough willing advertisers to keep the FT head above water, but, of the magazines I buy regularly, I think FT is probably now the next one in line that I'd expect to read the dreaded 'With heavy heart we regret to inform you...' Editorial.

Sad

Any positive counterbalance to my bleak view to be had out there?

They seem to have plenty of advertisements anyway.

I hope all is well. I've sent in clippings since 1994.

Last edited by ramonmercado on 12-08-2014 19:31; edited 1 time in total
TheManyOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 51
PostPosted: 12-08-2014 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure if FT came under threat that the loyal readers would rally around to save it! I for one would be happy to pay a little more each month if I had to, to keep getting my monthly dose!
titchagainOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 142
PostPosted: 12-08-2014 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the mag since encounters.uri geller's encounters went tits up, so i would be sad to see this mag go under, if it came to it i would gladly pay a fiver a copy.
Dr_David_SuttonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 170
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't panic! Don't panic!

While no print titles could be said to be safe in today's climate, FT is doing OK at present and the publishers have made no sign that they are planning to close us down in the foreseeable future.

Obviously, we all have to hope for the best in the longer term. The best way to help ensure the mag's survival is to pester all your friends and relatives into buying it!

D
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2600
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr_David_Sutton wrote:

While no print titles could be said to be safe in today's climate, FT is doing OK at present and the publishers have made no sign that they are planning to close us down in the foreseeable future.

Obviously, we all have to hope for the best in the longer term. The best way to help ensure the mag's survival is to pester all your friends and relatives into buying it!

D

Good news! Very Happy
47ForteansOffline
Live Fortean And Prosper!
Total posts: 1706
PostPosted: 29-08-2014 03:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr_David_Sutton wrote:

D

Long Live Fortean Times!
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21472
PostPosted: 29-08-2014 09:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

May Dr Dave Reign For A Thousand Years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Times Magazine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: