Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Day of the Animals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 114, 115, 116  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26184
PostPosted: 09-08-2014 09:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day of the Animals meets Mad Scientist (or enraged scientist, at least)

Oxford scientist warns of 'drastic action' if neighbours allow cats to roam and kill birds
A research scientist with a PhD in chemistry from Oxford sends a "dear cat menace" leaflet to neighbours warning of consequences if they do not control their 'killer cats'
By Claire Carter
7:00AM BST 09 Aug 2014

An Oxford University educated research chemist has issued his cat-owning neighbours with leaflets warning them of "drastic action" if they continue to let their animals roam free and kill the birds in his garden.
Dr Clive Mowforth claims he has received arson threats in response to the leaflets after he told owners they should control their cats and stop letting them roam free to "murder" dozens of birds in his specially redeveloped garden.

He sent out the angry leaflets, complete with photos of the two "leading killers" and three dates detailing when the latest birds were killed.
The leaflet is addressed to "cat menace" and has been posted to more than 100 homes.
Neighbours living in the street said they are concerned for their cats' safety and have been upset by the leaflet.

“In the last week alone, cats have killed a jackdaw, a blackbird and a house sparrow,” said Dr Mowforth.
“I was watching the sparrow whilst eating my dinner. She was sat quietly enjoying the food in the evening sun when a cat leapt right onto the shoulder-height table, grabbed the bird and ran off. This was the final straw.”

The 57-year-old said he has spent more than 10 years converting the garden at his Gloucestershire home into a “paradise for birds” and set up video surveillance when he noticed how numbers had fallen and how many were being killed.

He has sent local households in the village of Dursley pictures from video footage of the worst offenders and said he has identified 10 'killer cats' in the area.
Dr Mowforth claimed complaints had been made to the police and RSPCA about him, adding "the extreme elements within the pro-cat brigade have threatened arson."
"The bird table has been put away until the first set of deterrents is in place.
"I don't see why I should have to pay to protect the birds in my garden from cat-owners who simply let their pets roam free. If a dog went into a neighbour's garden, dug holes, left excrement and killed wildlife, all hell would be let loose.
"I expect to have to spend hundreds of pounds over the coming months."

Dr Mowforth, who has a BSc in Chemistry from Exeter and a DPhil from Oxford University, claims he used to see lots of birds in his garden but the numbers have decreased as the local cat population has risen.
He said up to ten different cats visit his garden day and night, and estimated the bird murder-rate at about one per month.
He added: "I have spent over a decade converting my garden into a paradise for birds.
"But despite being close to woodland I see few birds these days and those that do venture to my lawn, pond and bird table run the risk of being killed by cats.
"Changes in agriculture and habitat loss have had a dramatic effect on bird numbers but locally cats can also have a big influence."

He added: “In the longer term there needs to be a widespread neutering campaign to bring down the size of the enormous cat population."
The "final straw," Dr Mowforth, said was when he was sitting in his garden eating dinner and a cat jumped on to his bird table and killed a goldfinch. He now says he could be forced to move if the killing does not stop.
He said: "This could now push me out of my house. I'm about to retire and I want to be able to enjoy my garden."

Amanda Woods, 39, who has two cats in the street, said: "There is nothing you can do to stop your cats going in other people's gardens - unless you have house cats.
"One of the cats is my nine year old son's cat and he got really upset when he saw the letter.
"We all got leaflets through the door, it's all over Facebook.
"If he doesn't like cats in his garden there are things he could do about it.
"He could just spray them, or set up sprinklers. It's harmless and it means they won't come back.

"My neighbour thought about taking the leaflet to the local police station, I'm not sure if he has yet.
"If they don't take it to the police I'd happily do it myself."

The RSPCA declined to confirm if any complaints had been made but said they were not investigating any claims in the area.
Gloucestershire Police said there did not appear to be any instances of arson threats recorded.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11021590/Oxford-scientist-warns-of-drastic-action-if-neighbours-allow-cats-to-roam-and-kill-birds.html

An automatic water cannon should sort it out - anything bigger than a bird gets Squirted! Twisted Evil
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21446
PostPosted: 09-08-2014 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give the scumbag more than a threat.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9668
PostPosted: 09-08-2014 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man's a scientist - surely he can think of a scientific solution without sending out threatening notes?
Me, I'd buy a cat-scarer. Simples!

One of these would do it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Advanced-Cat-Scarer-Ultrasonic/dp/B00GY7C7O0/ref=sr_1_10?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1407581902&sr=1-10&keywords=cat+scarer
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1974
PostPosted: 09-08-2014 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Ed Balls has gone too far this time.

Quote:
Chancellor George Osborne's cat Freya hit by car

Chancellor George Osborne's family cat, Freya, is being treated by vets after being "clipped" by a car near Downing Street.

The tabby's injuries are not serious, a spokesman said.

Freya has lived at No 11 Downing Street - the Chancellor's official residence - since 2010.

Her previous misadventures include being rescued by a charity worker after straying more than a mile from her Westminster home.

The cat, believed to be about five years old, is also reported to have gone missing from the family's home in Notting Hill in 2009.

Cats have become a familiar feature of life in Downing Street over the years. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-28710522

Even Osborne's cat is desperate to get away from him!
Stu73Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 261
PostPosted: 09-08-2014 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He said up to ten different cats visit his garden day and night, and estimated the bird murder-rate at about one per month.

Errr. Murder is a human concept. For a scientist, this man is a grade A idiot. Hope the local Safari park takes a Lion round to his garden. Local moggies would steer well clear and the world would have one less moron in it. Laughing
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 09-08-2014 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu73 wrote:
Quote:

Errr. Murder is a human concept. For a scientist, this man is a grade A idiot. Hope the local Safari park takes a Lion round to his garden. Local moggies would steer well clear and the world would have one less moron in it. Laughing

Don't worry, some cat lover will deal with hum.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 12-08-2014 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

India lion cub leads guard to its mother's corpse
By Geeta Pandey, BBC News, Delhi

A lion cub has led forest rangers to its mother's corpse in an Indian sanctuary, an act described by officials as very unusual behaviour.
A forest guard, who saw the cub hiding in the bushes, followed it and went on to discover the body on a nearby hill.
The cub then guarded his mother until the ranger returned with forest and police officials to remove the carcass.
A post-mortem suggests the lioness died in a fight with other animals, possibly a herd of water buffalo.

Deputy Conservator of Forests in Gir, Anshuman Sharma, said the cub's behaviour was "rare" and "very peculiar" - something he had not encountered in his many years of watching lions.
Gir in Gujarat state is home to Asiatic lions and, according to the last census done in 2010, there are 411 lions in the sanctuary.

"On Saturday afternoon, I was patrolling the Tulsi-Shyam range of the sanctuary when I saw a cub hiding in the bushes," forest guard Rana Mori told the BBC.
Such small cubs are never found alone, they are generally accompanied by their mother and Mr Mori says he started looking for the lioness.

"I followed the cub which led me to its mother's body lying on a small hillock. The mother was called Rupa [the beautiful one]. It initially looked like she was sleeping, but when it didn't move, I prodded it with my stick. That's when I discovered that the lioness was dead," he said.

When Mr Mori returned with a team of officials to remove the carcass, they found the cub still sitting near the body.
The lioness, who was about 11 years old, had broken ribs and internal injuries and died from a haemorrhage, Mr Sharma said.

Lion expert Yadvendra Dev Jhala of the Wildlife Institute of India told the BBC that he had never heard of a similar incident involving a lion cub.
But he says that in Gir there has been very little conflict with humans and "lions generally know their individual guards well".

Mr Sharma says lions are known for their social behaviour: "They are not like dogs, they won't shake paws or wag tails, but we believe they recognise guards they see every day."

Wildlife officials say cubs are totally dependent on their mothers for survival until the age of two-and-a-half to three years.

The cub, only 15 months old, is now under the constant observation of forest officials.
"It's mother, Rupa, seemed to be a loner who lived and hunted alone, But now that the lioness is gone, we expect the cub to join another group, or another lioness may start looking after it," Mr Sharma said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-28751255
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 13-08-2014 08:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake stuck in drain after swallowing frog
By Western Daily Press | Posted: August 13, 2014

A two-foot long grass snake had to be rescued by a vet when it got stuck in a drain in Sidmouth, Devon, with a frog in its throat. Surgeon Richard Jones managed to slip the snake free with some lubricant. It decided against swallowing the frog and regurgitated it shortly after being freed.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Snake-stuck-drain-swallowing-frog/story-22709630-detail/story.html
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1849
PostPosted: 13-08-2014 09:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu73 wrote:
Quote:

If he wasn't a scientist, he might have thought of simply buying a dog.

P,S. Bet that snake never eats another frog!
Stu73Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 261
PostPosted: 13-08-2014 09:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If he wasn't a scientist, he might have thought of simply buying a dog.

Ah, but He's a Scientist, so he would need to experiment with different TYPES of dogs to see which one is best at chasing off the moggies. Of course, he wouldn't be able to actually conduct any experiments until after he'd applied his scientific training to resolve the problem of how ro remove his head from up his own arse Laughing
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 15-08-2014 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FURRY FURY: Cuppy The Cat Holds Mom, Daughter Hostage In Bedroom

CHULA VISTA, Calif. (AP) -- Two San Diego County women had to get help from police after being trapped in a bedroom by a family cat that a neighbor calls "a ball of fury."

Chula Vista police tell KGTV-TV (http://bit.ly/1mGRoqI ) a woman and her adult daughter called 911 Tuesday to say they were stuck in the bedroom because their cat "Cuppy" was in a rage and wouldn't let them leave.

Police say such matters are usually left to animal control, but officers decided to help out on a quiet night. They say eventually the cat walked out on its own.

Neighbor Karen Yarger says the cat has been a family pet for years but is unpredictable.

A Portland, Oregon, family went through a similar ordeal, when their cat Lux attacked a baby and boxed his owners in a bedroom.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/cat-holds-family-hostage_n_5679505.html
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 15-08-2014 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Meet The 'Zombie Chicken' That Apparently Made It Out Of A Freezer Alive

About a year ago, one of Gullahorn's neighbors just outside Albuquerque, New Mexico, decided it was time to kill his birds.

"He chose to use a BB gun and shot the chickens in the heads," she says.

He gave two to Gullahorn and her husband, Evan, who wrapped them in plastic bags and stuck them in the freezer to de-feather and otherwise deal with later. But what happened next, she says, caught Evan by surprise.

About a day later, he opened the freezer and found one of the chickens still in repose, while the other was sitting there, looking "fully alive, very cold, and pissed off," Gullahorn wrote in a June 2013 Facebook post.

Evan holding the "blind undead guard chicken." Photo by Kat Gullahorn

Gullahorn, with her daughter and husband, let the chicken into the yard and tried to feed her some corn meal while they considered the bird's future. The family didn't want to keep her as a pet, and they were certainly not going eat her (nor any of the neighbor's other chickens, which Gullahorn says her husband won't go near after what happened with this one).

This problem was solved when a friend and fellow clay artist, Laura Bruzzese, offered sanctuary. "Laura was like, 'you can't kill the zombie chicken!'" Gullahorn says.

"I couldn’t help but admire this chicken’s tenacity. She is courageous. She made her way out of a plastic bag inside a freezer and survived," Bruzzese wrote on her blog. "I figured any animal that fought that hard to live deserved a little help, if only for a day or two." ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/zombie-chicken-freezer-alive_n_5675615.html
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 15-08-2014 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing bear shows off Thriller moves for the camera
Wildlife photographer Alexey Tishchenko captured the amusing sequence of bear snaps at Katmai National Park in Alaska
By Mark Molloy
2:45PM BST 15 Aug 2014

This boogying bear enjoyed a moment in front of the camera by showing off its best dance moves.
The twinkle-toed bear was snapped seemingly doing its best Michael Jackson impression from the pop star's iconic Thriller music video.

In fact, the brown bear was just drying off after taking a dip when Russian photographer Alexey Tishchenko captured the amusing sequence of images.
Mr Tishchenko spent hours photographing bears at Katmai National Park in Alaska when his patience was rewarded.
“I had been watching the bears fish for quite a while before this one decided to stand up and make its way across the shoreline,” he explained.

“I managed to get some shots of it drying itself off but I had no idea how funny they were until I checked my camera.
“I was with my daughter at the time and were both laughing about how it looked like Michael Jackson in the Thriller video.”

Despite appearing to copy the King of Pop’s signature moves, it’s unlikely the bear has heard about Jackson’s recently released posthumous album.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11037037/Dancing-bear-shows-off-Thriller-moves-for-the-camera.html

Q. Name the 60s pop song with a dancing bear in the title. Wink
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 16-08-2014 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
USA: A cat named Gizmo has only minor injuries after a nine-storey fall at a Manhattan apartment building.

Gizmo fell off a 12th-floor terrace, crashed onto a third-floor landing and became wedged between a skylight and a wall.

Owner Samuel Jacobs says the grey and black cat was “freaked out.” He rushed his pet to a vet, fearing massive internal injuries but Gizmo only had scratches and a broken tooth.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quirky-world-game-of-thrones-inspires-baby-names-281787.html
PeteByrdieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 349
PostPosted: 16-08-2014 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that cats are about as big an animal can be and have a non-fatal terminal velocity. I don't know whether that's true, but my cat, Axl, has stopped jumping from the first floor bedroom window onto the garage roof then on to the back garden fence the he wants to get out, and now more often just jumps from the first floor window straight to the ground. It doesn't seem to bother him. He's a bit of a dare-devil, though, anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 114, 115, 116  Next
Page 110 of 116

Jump to: