Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
And now - Sport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
Total posts: 270
PostPosted: 28-07-2014 08:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those Team Orders certainly raised my eyebrows... they weren't close enough for the request imho.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25754
PostPosted: 29-07-2014 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frideswide wrote:
Yes, those Team Orders certainly raised my eyebrows... they weren't close enough for the request imho.

And so say most of us. But guess who's not a happy bunny?

Angry Nico Rosberg calls for new battle orders at Mercedes after Lewis Hamilton showdown in Hungary
German annoyed after Briton defied team instructions to move over and wants clear rules of engagement from Mercedes
By Daniel Johnson, F1 Correspondent
8:15PM BST 28 Jul 2014

If it is every man for himself at Mercedes, then clearly no one told Nico Rosberg. The visibly irritated German expressed disappointment at Lewis Hamilton’s failure to let him through at the team’s command in the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday.

The 29-year-old also bristled at suggestions he would have defied the team in similar circumstances. The fallout has prompted Rosberg to seek clarification from Mercedes bosses on the current rules of engagement in the world championship battle.

Hamilton and most of the paddock, meanwhile, seemed surprised by the team’s call, given that they have admirably eschewed team orders for much of the season so far. The Briton, who trails his team-mate by 11 points, denied his refusal to move aside after three separate instructions amounted to “questioning authority”.

In his review of the race, Rosberg said it was “obviously not good” that Hamilton had defied the team’s wishes.
Toto Wolff, the Mercedes executive director, admitted that Hamilton’s actions could have cost Rosberg and the team a chance at victory.

Rosberg, who was fourth, suggested he supported that view. “That’s so theoretical. I don’t know ... ah, no, no, no, let’s go by what Toto said.
"He’s looked at all the data and things like that, so let’s go by his opinion. He’s the best person to know that. We have to discuss internally. That’s the best way forward for us as a team.”

Asked what would have happened if the roles had been reversed, Rosberg said: “I’m sorry that’s not something that’s relevant to discuss. It’s hypothetical, theoretical, it’s not relevant.”
Twice last season Rosberg was told to either hold station or allow Hamilton past. He acquiesced.

“I’m not so excited about going into the summer break, as we speak,” Rosberg said. “Hopefully, I’ll be excited, but it’s going to take some time.”

Hamilton said he was simply doing what the team employ him to do, rejecting the notion that he cost his team-mate a win. “It is not questioning authority,” he said last night.
I am hired to race and bring in points for the team. I am also hired to be me and race my heart out.
“I did not start at the front of the pack. I started from the pit lane, so in my mind I cannot afford to lose anything else. Sunday was just a case of not giving a single point away.
"I tried my hardest to be ahead and I don’t feel as though I was being obligated to help. I don’t think I was being ruthless. I was not even being bloody minded. I was doing my job.

The Mercedes order appeared ill-advised; especially given Hamilton was fighting for the win. The waters were muddied further when Niki Lauda backed Hamilton’s stance and questioned the wisdom of his team’s decision.

It was the latest bump in a season when the microscope has been on the relationship between the Mercedes pair. It is unlikely the team will not have diffused the situation by the time of the next race in Belgium in less than four weeks’ time. Hamilton, skinnier than ever, will hit the gym to put back some muscle lost at the start of the year in a bid to meet F1’s punishing weight limit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/lewishamilton/10996623/Angry-Nico-Rosberg-calls-for-new-battle-orders-at-Mercedes-after-Lewis-Hamilton-showdown-in-Hungary.html

If Lewis had let Nico by, and Nico had gone on to win, then Lewis's chance at the title was almost certainly finished. So Mercede's team orders could have been be seen as a decisive favouritism towards Nico Rosberg.

As it is, Lewis is still behind on points, but at least the rest of the season is wide open, which is good for fans and good for F1.

(Unless Lewis suffers another run of mechanical failures, in which case I will begin to suspect unknown parties of sabotage...)
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 06-08-2014 07:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women's Rugby World Cup: Ireland stun New Zealand
Ireland 17 (7) New Zealand 14 (8 )

Ireland inflicted New Zealand's first defeat in a World Cup for 23 years with a 17-14 victory in Marcoussis to virtually seal a semi-final place.
The Black Ferns have won the last four tournaments and had not lost a World Cup game since a defeat to the United States in the 1991 semi-finals.

New Zealand's Selica Winiata scored the opener but the 2013 Six Nations winners replied through Heather O'Brien.
Alison Miller's try in the 63rd minute proved crucial for Ireland.

Niamh Briggs converted both tries and kicked a penalty when the game was locked at 14-14 in the second half.

Philip Doyle's team had beaten the USA in their opening Pool B match and now play Kazakhstan on Saturday.
They are top of Pool B on eight points while New Zealand and the USA, who meet each other on Saturday, are on six.

The USA beat Kazakhstan 47-7 in Tuesday's other Pool B game.

It was the first time Ireland's women had played the Black Ferns. Ireland's men's team have never beaten the All Blacks in 28 meetings stretching back to 1905.

"It's absolutely wonderful to win against the world champions," said Ireland captain Fiona Coghlan. "All credit should go to the coaches, the analysis team and the game-plan they gave us.
"The heads never dropped because we were on the same page. Even when they went ahead, we knew we would go back up there, score and win the game.

New Zealand coach Brian Evans said: "We're very disappointed, but fair play to Ireland. They outmuscled us, they forced errors, but huge congratulations to them for that."

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/28637552

Well done, the girls! Very Happy
Stu73Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 234
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody else watching the England-India test match? So weird almost Fortean
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 09-08-2014 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey!

England beat India by an innings in three days at Old Trafford
Fourth Test, Emirates Old Trafford (day three):

England 367-9 all out beat India 152 & 161 by an innings and 54 runs

England stormed to a resounding victory over India inside three days at Old Trafford to take a 2-1 lead in the Test series with one match to play.
The hosts took nine wickets in an extraordinary session after tea to bowl India out for 161 and win the fourth Test by an innings and 54 runs. Very Happy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/28726701
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 07:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's all happening today:

RideLondon: Sir Bradley Wiggins heads bike race

Sir Bradley Wiggins is among the star names taking part in an 86-mile cycle race from London's Olympic Park.
The 2012 Tour de France winner and Olympic gold medallist will race for Team Sky in the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic on Sunday.

The race has been cut from 100 to 86 miles, after warnings of heavy rain from the tail end of Hurricane Bertha.
The route, which starts in East London, will now miss out a section covering Leith Hill and Box Hill in Surrey.
It will end outside Buckingham Palace.

Event director Hugh Brasher said the safety of the cyclists was the most important consideration.
"This decision has been made in the light of detailed information from the Met Office and with full agreement of local authorities and other agencies," he said.

Ahead of Sunday's elite race, which begins at 13:00 BST, Sir Bradley said: "I always enjoy competing in front of home fans and have great memories of riding this route at the Olympics.
"The support we got then was unbelievable, and it was the same again at the Tour of Britain last year, so this promises to be a really special day."

[Live on BBC One on Sunday at 14:00 BST]

Thousands of cyclists have been taking part in rides and races as part of the weekend-long RideLondon event through London and Surrey.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28730183

Also there's the Community Shield match between Arsenal and Man City, 1500 ko. The pics must be on Sky, but there's commentary on BBC radio 5Live.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stunning finish in the bike race. Wiggo didn't figure, but it was an English one two anyway! Cool

After so many seasons without silverware, until they won the FA cup last season, Arsenal won the charity Shield today. Very Happy

I won't give the result in case you're planning to watch MotD later. If you're not, then report and result here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28647186

Martin Keown - Football analyst
"It is a good way to take Arsene Wenger into a new season and he will be delighted. He looks five years younger after winning the FA Cup and going back to Wembley to win again today."
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 12-08-2014 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is almost one for the Growing Old thread!

Jo Pavey, 40, wins European Championship 10,000m
By Tom Fordyce, Chief sports writer in Zurich

Jo Pavey, a 40-year-old mother of two, won a brilliant 10,000m gold to get Britain's European Championships off to a remarkable start.
Pavey, who only gave birth to her daughter Emily 11 months ago, ran the perfect tactical race to match the gold won by her old friend Paula Radcliffe in Munich 12 years ago.

When France's Clemence Calvin - 16 years her junior and almost 20 seconds faster this season - went to the front with two laps to go Pavey tucked in behind.
[Video: Pavey, 40, 'thrilled' with win]
Then, at the bell, the Briton surged into the lead, held Calvin at bay on the back straight and kicked hard again as she came off the top bend to race to her first ever major title.

She becomes the oldest female gold medallist in the championships' history, and having won Commonwealth 5,000m bronze 10 days ago seals a wonderful summer at an age when most athletes are long retired. Smile

Pavey told BBC Sport: "I just can't believe it. I was finding it quite a long way - I was thinking, is this the right event?
"I'm really thrilled. I tried to do a controlled last lap, but when I got to the home straight I thought, just give it all you've got, so you don't regret anything."

The time - 32 minutes 22.39 seconds was irrelevant, Calvin hanging on for silver and her compatriot Laila Traby taking bronze.

British team captain Goldie Sayers had given a speech on the eve of the championships urging her team-mates a simple question: "How would you perform if this was the last time you would ever compete?"
Her room-mate Pavey gave the best possible answer. Cool

The Exeter Harrier has been running for her country for so long that she made her debut in a British vest in the same year her team-mate Morgan Lake was born. Shocked

Across four Olympic Games she has secured three top ten places, but this was a glorious finale that few could have predicted.

And on her lap of honour she ran to Emily and four-year-old son Jacob before embracing husband and coach Gavin and her own parents. Very Happy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/28765536

What a feel-good story! Well done, Jo!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 15-08-2014 06:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just learned a new word. Or, rather, a new meaning for an old word. Once, a vine was a sort of long stalk where eg grapes or hops grew....

Premier League warns about posting goal videos online
By Mike Williams, Newsbeat Reporter
15 August 2014 Last updated at 06:09

The Premier League has told Newsbeat they're going to clamp down on fans posting unofficial videos of goals online.
Thousands of goal Vines were posted on social media during the World Cup.
With the new football season starting tomorrow the trend was expected to continue.
However the Premiere League has said that tweeting copyrighted material is illegal and are warning supporters not to do it.

Being able to pause and rewind live TV has made it easier for anyone to film footage from a match.
If you missed a goal at this year's World Cup it didn't really matter.
Vines were uploaded onto social media within moments, allowing fans to watch and share them over and over again.

But many supporters don't realise by sharing the videos on websites like Twitter they're breaking copyright laws.
In an interview with Newsbeat, Dan Johnson, director of communications at the Premier League, said: "You can understand that fans see something, they can capture it, they can share it, but ultimately it is against the law."

"It's a breach of copyright and we would discourage fans from doing it, we're developing technologies like gif crawlers, Vine crawlers, working with Twitter to look to curtail this kind of activity."
He added: "I know it sounds as if we're killjoys but we have to protect our intellectual property."
Sky Sports and BT Sport paid a record £3bn pounds to show three season's worth of live Premier League football.
The Sun and The Times bought the online rights and they don't want people to be able to see the action for free.

It costs £7 a month to watch the goals on The Sun app. They try to get the videos online within two minutes of the ball hitting the back of the net.
Dean Scoggins, deputy head of sport at the newspaper, said: "It's important to underline that it's illegal to do this, we've obviously signed a very big deal with the Premier League to be a rights holder and to show it, we've got legal teams talking with them about what we can do."

The quality of the unofficial videos can be pretty poor, but are free to watch.
The most popular football Vine accounts online have hundreds of thousands of followers.
Nick puts goal Vines on social media before the TV companies have even finished showing the replays.
"At the end of the day, if I don't do it someone else will," he told Newsbeat.
"There's enough out there, if you just search on Twitter, if Gareth Bale scores and you just search within seconds of the goals going in there'll l be four, five up.
"Within another minute they'll be 10 maybe so if I'm not doing it someone else is."

Twitter said: "Vine users may not post content that violates the rights of a third party."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28796590
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 15-08-2014 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s to Jo Pavey and the mothers of sporting re-invention
The European Athletics gold medallist is just one of many female stars whose performance seems to have improved after childbirth
By Sarah Chalmers
7:05AM BST 14 Aug 2014

Jo Pavey has yet to confirm whether it was the sound of a crying baby or the sheer drudgery of changing nappies that saw her throw herself into a brutal training regime, but it is a strategy that clearly paid off.

On Tuesday night, the 40-year-old mother-of-two made history by becoming the oldest woman ever to take gold at the European Athletics Championships, when she won the 10,000m in Zurich.
As commentators ran out of superlatives to describe her win – and didn’t even attempt to hide their shock at her age – Pavey, with characteristic humility, declared: “I was finding it quite a long way.”

Then she picked out her husband and coach, Gavin, and her two young children, in the crowd. Her four-year-old, Jacob, was so small that he had to be lifted up to see his mother above the barricade, while 11-month-old Emily had the dazed look of an infant newly awoken from a nap.
Just weeks after taking bronze in the 5,000m at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Pavey’s exploits confirm that not only are age and motherhood no barrier to sporting success, they may actually be an asset.

For Pavey, who made her athletics debut on the same day that Morgan Lake, the youngest member of the British team at 17, was born, joins an illustrious list of women athletes who have prospered after combining motherhood with sport.

Paula Radcliffe returned to running just 12 days after giving birth to daughter Isla in 2007, and won the New York Marathon later that year. When her son Raphael was born in 2010, she “took longer, about three and-a-half weeks” before resuming running.

Fellow long distance-runner Liz McColgan took gold at the Tokyo World Championships in 1991, less than a year after giving birth to Eilish, the first of her five children. Meanwhile, in 2009, golfer Catriona Matthew became the first Scotswoman to win the British Open, just 10 weeks after having her second child.

Britain’s best-known ballet dancer, too, has attributed her late career success to the strength she developed in motherhood. Darcey Bussell, a mother-of-two, was back on stage as the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker in 2001, only six months after giving birth to her first child, Phoebe. “I’m more relaxed, which, in a way, makes me perform better,” she said of her post-pregnancy performances. “I’m pushing myself to limits that I did not think would be possible after having a baby.”

Is there a physiological advantage then, enjoyed by mothers? There is evidence that pregnancy increases the number of red blood cells, which improves oxygen capacity. And, in the first trimester, a woman’s ligaments “relax”, allowing her to lengthen her stride.
And when the Iron Curtain divided Europe, there was speculation that Eastern Bloc countries impregnated female athletes, then had them abort the foetuses, to benefit from perceived boosts in performance. Shocked

But with her youngest child almost a year old, Pavey’s victory is too late to count as the result of a post-birth health boost, if such a thing were proven to exist. What’s her secret?

Michael Dooley, fellow of the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and gynaecologist to the London 2012 Olympics, says there is nothing to prevent a woman excelling in sport after childbirth.
But, he adds: “There is no evidence to suggest any physiological change that might enhance performance either. As a rough rule, a woman’s body returns to normal six weeks after childbirth, so she no longer has the pregnancy hormones that can enhance performance through things like increased joint laxity.

“There is some suggestion that some countries may have used a pregnancy hormone – called human choroid gonadotropin, or HCG – as a performance-enhancing drug in the past. However, pregnancy hormones are not always positive – hyper-mobility and joint laxity can be a negative for many people.”

Not, however, for a number of high-level performers and athletes whose strength, flexibility and agility seem to have improved after childbirth. Fiona Chadwick, a principal dancer at the Royal Ballet Company in the early Nineties, says she felt “like Superwoman” after the birth of her first baby. Of her colleague, Bussell has said: “I remember Fiona coming back after her first child… and I was like: 'But you’ve just had a baby, this is unbelievable,’ and she said she had more stamina than before.”

Andy Jones, professor of Applied Physiology at Exeter University, has worked with both Pavey and Radcliffe in the past. “If you train while pregnant, it is not dissimilar to running in a weighted jacket, so this could increase stamina after the birth,” he says.

However, he cautions against returning to training too soon, as pregnancy can affect maternal bone density. “When a woman is pregnant, the baby is the priority and all her body’s resources are directed towards that, so she can be depleted of calcium.

“This is what happened to Paula Radcliffe, and she suffered a lot of bone-related injuries after childbirth. I would argue that having a break from running in the first few weeks after childbirth may [beneficially] contribute to the performance of the athlete.”

Far from finding the demands of motherhood impinging on her ambition as an athlete, Pavey has said the harmony in her home life has helped her mentally, and that may be the key. “I’m so happy in my personal life. I train hard but don’t get stressed about it,” she says.

Prof Jones is certain this has paid dividends for the sportswoman, who has waited 17 years for her moment of glory.
“Jo is an athlete who is meticulous, but she would say herself that sometimes that meant obsessing on the minutiae, like which trainers to wear. Now, with two kids, she doesn’t have time to get bogged down or over-think things.”

Andy Barton, a performance coach who helps athletes maximise their potential with mind exercises, agrees. “It’s about balance. People think sports psychology is all about focusing on the race and concentrating on how important it is. Often it is the opposite; it is about bringing someone down.
“Whether it is a partner, children or charity work, having something else going on in your life allows you to put the sport in perspective, and that means you are less likely to suffer from performance anxiety.”

Kate Dobinson, deputy editor at Women’s Running UK, says there is a trend towards women taking up running post-pregnancy; and being better at it than before they had children. “Dame Tanni Grey Thomson said she used to put her baby in the long jump sandpit to play while she trained,” she adds.

Whatever the cause, there is no doubt that women with children are taking up running in their droves. One website, Run Mummy Run, is entirely devoted to this group.

And let’s not forget Harriette Thompson, a grandmother-of-10 from North Carolina, who completed a marathon earlier this year at the age of 91. Time to dig out the trainers, then. Cool

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11031262/Heres-to-Jo-Pavey-and-the-mothers-of-sporting-re-invention.html
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 17-08-2014 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good day for Britain:

European Championships: Farah & Rutherford help GB top table
By Tom Fordyce, Chief sports writer in Zurich

British athletes produced a remarkable last-day performance to top the medal table for only the third time in European Championships history with a record-breaking 12 gold medals.

In a breathless two hours in Zurich's Letzigrund Stadium, victories for Mo Farah, Greg Rutherford, the men's 400m relay quartet and both sprint relay teams meant Britain finished with three more golds than they have ever previously managed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/28827591 Very Happy

And a good day for England:

Women's Rugby World Cup: England beat Canada to win final

England have beaten Canada to win the Women's Rugby World Cup for the first time in 20 years.
They had lost the previous three finals to New Zealand but triumphed this time 21-9 in Paris.

Emily Scarratt scored a late try and 11 points with her boot to seal the win for the Red Roses.
It was the second time England have been women's world champions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/28829205 Very Happy Very Happy

England v India: Hosts romp to innings win to secure series 3-1

Rampant England thrashed India inside three days in the fifth Test to complete a 3-1 series victory.
The pitiful tourists were skittled out for 94 in only 29.2 overs as England won by an innings and 244 runs at The Oval.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/28828321 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And the Premiership kicked off this w/e. So far Man City head the table on goal difference (2), while the next six clubs all managed a GD of 1 (Arsenal head that group on alphabetical order!)

The biggest shock was Man U losing at home to Swansea.

(Burnley host Chelsea, 2000 on Monday. A 3-0 win will take either top.)

PHEW! Quite a w/e! Wink
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2862
PostPosted: 17-08-2014 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the E-fucking-ternal BBC atheletics coverage concentrating on 4 pundits wearing headmikes chattering away when there's action to be covered out the window?

Weak stuff.

But not as weak as in the Euro championships when Brendan Foster couldn't go on at length about Kenyans.
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2862
PostPosted: 17-08-2014 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the football season has started again. I feel it's my duty to tell you a couple of teams won, some lost and there may have been a draw or two. Goals were either scored or let in, depending on your point of view. But while this may seem like the most important thing in the world, fans should be reassured that an entirely different outcome may ensue next week when some teams will lose, while others will win. Goals will be let in or scored, depending on your point of view.

Hope this clarifies things a little.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 18-08-2014 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:
Hope this clarifies things a little.

Well, thank you for that analysis! Wink

But it ain't rocket science, it's ALL about hope and despair, the emotional ups-and-downs.

It's too early to read much into the results yet, but no doubt the pundits are already pawing* over the entrails of the latest result tonight, which takes Chelsea top in alphabetical order, having matched Man C's GD of 2.

*Not a typo!
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 740
PostPosted: 19-08-2014 09:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
the latest result tonight, which takes Chelsea top in alphabetical order.!

Top on goals scored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 87 of 90

Jump to: