Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Double headed axe an 'occult' symbol?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StePickfordOffline
I've got a title!
Total posts: 67
PostPosted: 06-05-2003 12:05    Post subject: Double headed axe an 'occult' symbol? Reply with quote

In the current issue (171) there's a piece on horse mutilation. I've not got the copy to hand so I can't quote exactly, but there's a comment about 'occult symbols' including a pentagram and a 'double headed axe' being found near these mutilated horses, indicating an occult connection.

I've never heard of a 'double headed axe' being an occult symbol. Is this just lazy thinking on the part of the police officer or journalist who wrote the source article, or is it ignorance on my part? Can anyone shed any light on this 'double headed axe' symbol?
_Lizard23_Offline
In love with the
Total posts: 1604
PostPosted: 06-05-2003 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently came across the double headed axe symbol in a poem by Rosie Lugosi, "Manchester's Lesbian Vampire Poet", as, I think, a symbol for lesbianism ....

http://www.kairosinsoho.org.uk/kairos/ew/ewW/PewWwritersRosieLugosi.html
(Mum, I've something to tell you...)

... which is something I didn't know.

I thought that whole horse mutilation - occult connection thing you mention seemed a bit odd too ...... while I don't doubt that the odd psycho teen might boil a cat or god only knows what in the name of satanic experimentation, I just can't think of any occult practice that would be wide-spread and long lived enough to account for horse mutilation .... and plaiting tails and manes or cutting the odd tuft of hair doesn't seem to be quite the same thing as inflicting gruesome wounds to reproductive parts etc ... so all in all that piece puzzled me too.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-05-2003 15:58    Post subject: Re: Double headed axe an 'occult' symbol? Reply with quote

stevo wrote:

I've never heard of a 'double headed axe' being an occult symbol. Is this just lazy thinking on the part of the police officer or journalist who wrote the source article, or is it ignorance on my part? Can anyone shed any light on this 'double headed axe' symbol?

They show up a lot in Minoan art. From there, the double-headed axe (usually under the name "labrys") somehow became a popular symbol among Wiccans, particularly lesbians.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-05-2003 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minoans had something of an obsession with the labrys...they were all over Knossos, apparently (the Labrynth, no less). They've all been taken to the museum in Heraklion, I think.
Dennis_De_BacleOffline
Total posts: 1216
PostPosted: 06-05-2003 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the fasces which although usually having a single axehead sometimes incorporated two.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-05-2003 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes...they were used as insignia by the Italians during the Second World War...three black fasces on a white roundel. No prizes for guessing why.
_Lizard23_Offline
In love with the
Total posts: 1604
PostPosted: 06-05-2003 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick web-search for "labrys" throws up a load of stuff about amazonians and goddess figures, the moon, er ... labia (it's the shape apparently), butterflies (ditto) etc etc. So there is a definite magic(k)al link. It also seems to be a popular name for feminist-y publishing houses and such like.

Y'learn something new every day.

So what are feminist occultists doing going round mutilating horses?

Or ....................... who ..... or what is trying to frame them? hmm Wink
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-05-2003 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! He's onto us! And we would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for the crappy disguises and ludicrously complex nature of the scheme...Mad
Anonymous
PostPosted: 07-05-2003 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The double headed axe may not be linked with the occult in the context of the horse attacks. If the axes were seen in conjunction with other more obvious occult symbols then perhaps the axes represent a certain group. A club badge of sorts.

Also the description in the article doesnt go into detail about the axes so perhaps they were decorated with sigils or runes. That would give them an occult flavour.

On a lighter note I dont think double headed axes are a feminist lesbian symbol. The thing about a double headed weapon is that it swings both ways roll eyes (sarcastic)
athyraOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 149
PostPosted: 29-05-2003 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double headed axe...

Could it be mistaken identification of the hammer of thor?

I know quit a few occultists I know where the hammer of thor on chains.

Or do you mean a battle axe type?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: