Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Dream thread II
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 25-12-2005 13:49    Post subject: Dream thread II Reply with quote

Shared Dream/Lucid Dream: Alabama

This is a post on behalf of a friend of mine (no really, it is) regarding a particularly lucid dream that he experienced about 6 or 8 weeks ago, maybe a little more.

My friend has over the past 2 years experienced a growing momentum in his dreams, culminating in this particular episode. Since this dream, his dream activity has returned to "normal".

In this lucid dream (which for him has some of the properties of waking life - intense detail; an element of, or the notion of free will; the ability to steer the course of the dream; awareness of the dream whilst in it; other participants who appear to act in a non-dreamlike and particularly real way), my friend was "dropped into" an underground bunker (such as in the first Terminator movie flash-forwards, etc) with several other characters, each of whom had a differing degree of realness about them. They all seemed surprised to see my friend materialise. One of them was so disturbed by this that he started to cry at the whole situation.

Of the other people in the dream, one guy in particular seemed utterly real, fully-formed and appropriately rational. My friend and this guy spoke at length of the fact they were experiencing a dream - although exceptionally well-detailed and in some ways undreamlike. They took off on their own and moved through different scenarios and "backgrounds" within the dream whilst both maintaining a normal and human set of reactions and communications.

At the height of intensity of the dream, and towards the end, they had a muntual awareness that they were definitely dreaming and they were both real people, not just the function of one dreamer. They tried to decide on a way to contact each other in waking life, and were aware of the ramifications of such contact. With this in mind they each wrote out their home addresses to each other on paper that was "at hand." It was then that they realised they would not have the papers with them when they each woke up - as this was part of the dream.

Somehow aware that their time was almost up, they decided to try and memorise each other's address, and write them down on waking.

On waking, my friend wrote down all he could remember of the address of the other guy: Alabama.

The reason I joined this forum a few weeks back was to post this dream, in the hope that someone might read it and remember.
KeyserXSozeOffline
King of Otters
Total posts: 945
PostPosted: 25-12-2005 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great dream.

I've had similar dreams (but not the one your friend had, unfortunately), where I feel I'm meeting others and we all know we are dreaming.

A few days back I had a dream where someone was trying to give me his telephone number and I had it in my hand, along with a written mesage, but of course I could remember neither when I woke up.

I've also dreamt I was in the offices of my old boss, and he is talking to people, and I'm sitting there knowing they can't see me, but hearing every word.

Last night I dreamt someone gave me an orange t-shirt with two illustrated faces on for Christmas, but it hasn't come true - I got chocolate and socks Cool
Anonymous
PostPosted: 26-12-2005 23:29    Post subject: Dream thread II Reply with quote

OK, this takes off from the "Moving Pictures" thread, where I last posted. For years now, I've dreamt of attending an out-of-doors cinema where the audience is seated at the foot of a hill, looking up at the skyline. A film is somehow projected onto a sheet of mist (?) which acts as a "receptor" for its holographic properties. A whole 3D scenario then appears on the hill, looking totally realistic - sometimes a cowboy/Indian stand-off, sometimes a medieval battle or other action feature. This lasts for about 20 minutes and everyone is enthralled.
A variation on this dream is one where I visit a funfair where 3D fantasy scenes are created - fairylands and so on that seem to stretch for miles - that visitors stare at over security walls. There are also rides which take people through scenes that are made up out of light and colour but are not solid, but seem so. For example, we may ride in a tramcar ( a real one) along a "promenade" where the people and buildings next to us look real enough to touch but have just a slightly "offbeat" feel to them. Will this entertainment be available in the future, do you think? Will it feel like time-travel as we ride through Ancient Egypt or Sherlock Holmes' London? Shocked
H_JamesOffline
Ancient Cow (&)
Total posts: 3495
PostPosted: 26-12-2005 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's possible
but it sounds like a really cool dream
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13075
PostPosted: 27-12-2005 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you wearing special glasses in the dream? I don't think it would be possible in real life without them.
Slejpner1Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 39
PostPosted: 27-12-2005 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many examples of sequences projected in the sky, e.g. against clouds. The Battle of Edge Hill in Warwickshire (English Civil War) was so bloodthirsty it was said that images of scenes from the battle appeared in the sky for days (years?) afterwards.
This might be a little removed from your dream details, but there may be a common link. Or not.
BIg_SlimOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: 28-12-2005 00:31    Post subject: projecting Reply with quote

Very interesting and if what i read is correct very possible too.
I read recently somewhere that a pop group called "The Gorrillaz" (sp?)
have planned for their 2006 concerts to display moving 3D hollograms
of their cartoon type characters they use in their videos on stage with them while they are playing. If this is true then your dream may not be as far fetched as you think Shocked
Anonymous
PostPosted: 28-12-2005 00:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, gncxx, I'm not wearing special glasses Smile. TY for your comments, H James and Slejpner1; I think I remember the Edge Hill story and BIg_Slim, I shall be at that concert!!! Very Happy
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9663
PostPosted: 28-12-2005 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 'projection onto a sheet of mist' idea has actually been done successfully - I read about it a couple of years ago.
The technology is almost there.
BENS4Offline
Grey
Total posts: 4
PostPosted: 29-12-2005 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney are doing this now at MGM studio's, Disney World - it's called "Phantasmic" I think, I saw it this spring and it looks just like the original post described it. Uncle Walt delivers the goods again!
BENS4Offline
Grey
Total posts: 4
PostPosted: 30-12-2005 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's called "Fantasmic", and here's a link to some photo's on a fansite!

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-PID505900-505906.asp
barfing_pumpkinOffline
A pumpkin that pukes. Yes. I am.
Total posts: 720
PostPosted: 30-12-2005 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vivid dream I can recall from my childhood features giant holograms projected into the night sky - including a pretty awesome funfair wheel, and a bust of Queen Victoria (which for some reason was whizzing around like a rocket!).

Echoes of the future, maybe?

Nah - just a dream, I reckon. Pretty good one though.

(hmmm - 'bust of Queen Victoria': now I have the image of a giant tit whizzing around the sky. Maybe it's an Underwired Fetishistic Organ, or something...)
AMPHIARAUS
PostPosted: 31-12-2005 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same idea was used in the scifi series SeaQuest DSV. A representation of the main computer personality was projected onto a curtain of vapour. Pretty naff as I remember!

link to pick > http://www.angelfire.com/zine/samquest/seadeck/images/kos1.JPG
tonyblair11
PostPosted: 27-01-2006 09:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody experience old dreams catching up to new ones. Recently the cops almost caught me for a bunch of bodies I buried in shallow graves in a series of dreams last year. I know it's paranoia and my subconcious going nutter on itself, but, it's amazing how real it feels and I'll wake up and remind myself that I hav'nt actually killed anybody. Also I had a good one recently where I was running around my old church my both my middle fingers in the air while screaming "this is what jesus really thinks about you" and everybody was agreeing with me.
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 5358
PostPosted: 27-01-2006 09:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyblair11 wrote:
Does anybody experience old dreams catching up to new ones. Recently the cops almost caught me for a bunch of bodies I buried in shallow graves in a series of dreams last year. I know it's paranoia and my subconcious going nutter on itself, but, it's amazing how real it feels and I'll wake up and remind myself that I hav'nt actually killed anybody.

Yes, I've had that experinces where events of a dream are squelae of events in another. One of these concerned a murder, though I left the body in an alley rather than buried it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: