Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Doctor Who 2 (Avast! There be spoilers!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 225, 226, 227  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rrose_SelavyOffline
Exquisite Elemental
Total posts: 1638
PostPosted: 30-05-2006 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
How about David Icke as the Master?

Wasn't Davros , confined to a wheelchair, originally a former Professional Footballer who had to retire due to injury ?

-
Doctor_OccupantOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 274
PostPosted: 30-05-2006 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrose_Selavy wrote:
gncxx wrote:

Wasn't Davros , confined to a wheelchair, originally a former Professional Footballer who had to retire due to injury ?

-

It's in one of the Annuals somewhere...as far as I remember the injury was faked. Davros took a monumental dive to clinch a vital penalty which ended up winning the match for Dynamo Kaled. The Thals objected strongly and forced Davros to maintain the charade indefinitely. He confined himself to a wheelchair and took to movitational speaking. Meanwhile, Thals United supporters were able to piece together video evidence that seemed to debunk the claim. Things degenerated from there, leading to a terrible war.

Echoes of this remain. In a scene that was cut from 'The Parting of the Ways' the Daleks encircle The Doctor and demand to know who ate all the pies.
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
Total posts: 505
PostPosted: 30-05-2006 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did unexpectedly come across a coupl eof spoilers for the last 2 episodes of the series today, I want print spoilers now but if anyone is interested I will later.
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 30-05-2006 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

painy2 wrote:
I did unexpectedly come across a coupl eof spoilers for the last 2 episodes of the series today, I want print spoilers now but if anyone is interested I will later.
I'm interested. Could you print them when the series finishes by any chance?

Wink
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
PostPosted: 30-05-2006 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog19 wrote:
painy2 wrote:
I'm interested. Could you print them when the series finishes by any chance?

Wink

Not much of a spoiler then!!! I will post them in link form then whoever chooses to press on those links its up to them!

Spoiler 1

Spolier 2

Spoiler 3 look at the cast of characters
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 00:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

painy2 wrote:
Not much of a spoiler then!!! I will post them in link form then whoever chooses to press on those links its up to them!
[/url]
The first two I knew, but cool pictures anyway. The last one however I hadn't even considered, but of course it makes sense. Nice find painy.

They had real trouble keeping anything under wraps in season one (at one point RTD did mention that part of the reason was down to the Hutton Report and the fact that they couldn't lie about what they were doing when asked by reporters).

Imagine how amazing the end of season one would have been had you not known that Eccles was leaving!
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
PostPosted: 31-05-2006 00:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog19 wrote:
painy2 wrote:
[/url]
The first two I knew, but cool pictures anyway. The last one however I hadn't even considered, but of course it makes sense. Nice find painy.

I had a feeling that you guys would already know about it!
barfing_pumpkinOffline
A pumpkin that pukes. Yes. I am.
Total posts: 720
PostPosted: 01-06-2006 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmmm. I could see a Dr. Who episode featuring a mysterious and sinister new-age guru who pops up in California; he spouts the most preposterous claptrap, but strangely enough, a lot of people believe him. Suspecting that some sort of mind-control device might be in operation here, the Doctor duly investigates...

The episode ends with a twist; the guru ain't an alien intergalactic mastermind at all, just a gullible twit who has managed to convince a load of other gullible twits of his BS. Cut to the doctor returning to the Tardis with a frown on his face, muttering darkly about 'stupid apes'...
Doctor_OccupantOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-06-2006 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

barfing_pumpkin wrote:

The episode ends with a twist; the guru ain't an alien intergalactic mastermind at all, just a gullible twit who has managed to convince a load of other gullible twits of his BS. Cut to the doctor returning to the Tardis with a frown on his face, muttering darkly about 'stupid apes'...

Interesting.

Put a twist on the twist: the Guru is a cynical moneymaker preying on the gullibility of his flock; he talks about alien contact and how his followers will eventually leave the planet having been rescued by an enlightened race. As the Doctor discovers, however, all the Guru has managed to do is attract a group of stranded Real Aliens who are desperately trying to avoid the attentions of UNIT, or that Torchwood mob.
Rrose_SelavyOffline
Exquisite Elemental
Total posts: 1638
PostPosted: 01-06-2006 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

painy2 wrote:
ghostdog19 wrote:
painy2 wrote:
[/url]

I had a feeling that you guys would already know about it!

Hmm..

The third was mentioned in the previous Who thread and greeted with some er... skepticism

http://www.forteantimes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6005&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1455

See page 98 , 5th post by Mob 1138 for details.

-
Mob1138Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 267
PostPosted: 01-06-2006 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Davros thing isn't going to happen. For one, RTD says (with the exception of Genesis of the Daleks) that Davros was a bit crap and weakened the Daleks. The other reason is as mentioned before.
Doctor_OccupantOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-06-2006 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mob1138 wrote:
The Davros thing isn't going to happen. For one, RTD says (with the exception of Genesis of the Daleks) that Davros was a bit crap and weakened the Daleks. The other reason is as mentioned before.

Then why did he give the Alt. Cybermen a barking mad creator in a wheelchair?
fquakeOffline
Necronaut
Total posts: 236
PostPosted: 01-06-2006 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor_Occupant wrote:
Mob1138 wrote:

Then why did he give the Alt. Cybermen a barking mad creator in a wheelchair?

Because Roger whatshisface had a broken leg while filming, apparently.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13118
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Impossible Planet" was superbly assembled, but it was a bit (even a lot) like Event Horizon and I don't like that film much, so this episode won't be one of my favourites. But yes, the quarry was there, and well used too. I'm hoping next week's will be more like Disney's The Black Hole, which I like more.
barfing_pumpkinOffline
A pumpkin that pukes. Yes. I am.
Total posts: 720
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ood,
Look rather rude,
When viewed,
From behind.

Cracking episode, tho - can't wait for the conclusion. Speaking of influences - yes, Event Horizon was definitely there, but I got more of a 'Quantermass and the Pit' meets 'Prince of Darkness' vibe out of the thing.

The FX were stunning - the Ood makeup especially (when, er, seen from the front, that is). Even the gravel pit didn't look at all like a gravel pit - it took DW confidential to reveal the trick behind that. Only one minor gripe - the Doctor seemed a bit too passive in this one; a bit too content to sit back and let the story unfold. Still, it's a two partner, so I'm sure we'll see him exercise his mettle in his confrontation with the devil next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 225, 226, 227  Next
Page 3 of 227

Jump to: